Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a read through the thread on servicing costs and thought I'd ask some questions of you all. (I know that lots of people get a shock at this service)

I was initially quoted £450 for the 12K service and I knew that it might go up a little for some of the consumables etc.

They came back to me yesterday with a minimum £650 but said that it also needed a new chain and sprocket set which would be another £200.

Apparently all 12 valve clearances were out? having read others experiences this seems unlikely - what are your thoughts?

The hourly rate for labour is approx. £50 but I don't think they have taken the front forks off or done anything with the fork oil. for that price do you think that should have been done?

If servicing costs this much it's cheaper to buy new bikes and take the hit on depreciation, while having the confidence of a warranty...
:confused:

Also, on this service would you expect them to notice if the coolant level was way over the limit, and if they did should they correct it?
What would you do if they didn't? my concern is, if they didn't notice that, what else did I pay for that they haven't done???

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've just had a read through the thread on servicing costs and thought I'd ask some questions of you all. (I know that lots of people get a shock at this service)

I was initially quoted £450 for the 12K service and I knew that it might go up a little for some of the consumables etc.

They came back to me yesterday with a minimum £650 but said that it also needed a new chain and sprocket set which would be another £200.

Apparently all 12 valve clearances were out? having read others experiences this seems unlikely - what are your thoughts?

The hourly rate for labour is approx. £50 but I don't think they have taken the front forks off or done anything with the fork oil. for that price do you think that should have been done?

If servicing costs this much it's cheaper to buy new bikes and take the hit on depreciation, while having the confidence of a warranty...
:confused:

Also, on this service would you expect them to notice if the coolant level was way over the limit, and if they did should they correct it?
What would you do if they didn't? my concern is, if they didn't notice that, what else did I pay for that they haven't done???
I have just had my 12k service done. I elected not to have my oil / filter changed or rear hub serviced as i them sorted mid service term before i went touring.
My cost was £279.00. All clearences were fine. I assumed front forks were looked at as i got it back badly adjusted [preload] oh and the front brake reservoir fell off the mount a day or so later.
Luckily i had just stopped at a road junction, heard a clang as the bolt fell out and hit the tank. I found it on the road under the bike. The brake reservoir was flopping about on the feedpipe.
I wasnt best pleased. You should get a copy of the 12k service schedule of all things they did, if not insist on one. Even your invoice /receipt should itemise everything. Coolant replacement is on the 12k schedule, they should of done it /noticed the levels and adjusted. This service is meant to give the bike a thorough going over from front to back. What you describe sounds patchy IMO.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I had my 12k done last year at my local dealers total of around 5hrs time to do the job, non of the valve clearances req`d adjusting. but having spoken to someone who works for another dealer, I`m told that its possible the mechanic may try to (but shouldn`t) miss out the adjustments, as this requires more effort. fluids wher checked, Oil & filters where changed, but non of the brake pads where.......... total cost £450
I`m expecting to have to re-new my chain & sprockets, & front pads at some point after I return from my trip to spain/portugal in august.

according to the manual, the fork oil doesn`t get changed until 40k or 4 yrs, but the forks should be examined for faults during every service to ensure they are working correctly

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My bike was already out of warranty at 12K and because of the price, I did some of it myself and some of it at 16K just before a big trip. My valves were within clearance.

The dealer where I take it said some of the service schedule in the manual is overkill (and at least my wallet agrees with that), but I understand why many people feel the need to be strict about it.

I, too, thought trading up was a viable option when I was quoted about $1,000 and considered this is repeated every 12K miles not including the 6,000 mile intervals. Instead, I am servicing my bike a little less rigorously and keeping it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts