Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
How critical is it to have the 12k mile service done right at 12,000 miles on the '99 Daytona 955i? I would like to sell the bike soon, and would have to drop off the bike at the nearest dealer 300 miles from home and pick it up again when done. I don't hear any strange noises coming from the engine. Would I hear, or feel if the valves needed adjusting?

Any buyers or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrejs R.
Harbor Springs, MI

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
As with any vehicle, it is not imperative that you do the x,xxxth service as soon as the odometer rolls, but if you're selling the bike, it very well could help in the sale of it. Show all documentation and it will prove that you were a responsible owner.

JMHO

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had my 12K service done recently at 16K miles. Previous owner hadn't had the service done when I purchased the bike with 14K on it. The Service Mgr. told me the valves were all within specs and throttle bodies were dead on. Service Tech. said it looked like the engine had never been opened up before, so I guess at least in my case it didn't hurt putting off the 12K service; however, as hogwyld said, savvy buyers will use the lack of completed major service interval against you. Might be best to at least have the valves checked and do the fluid changes yourself. A valve check alone, assuming all are within specs, shouldn't cost much more than $200 (max time 2 hours x $90 per hour) and certainly nothing near the kind of $$$ you mentioned in another thread. My total cost for the 12K mile service was just under $400 (excluding the oil change but including a new 17 tooth front sproket and install of new brake pads and a front tire I provided). Ask your Service Mgr. to record clearances for each valve and keep with your service receipt for potential buyers to see. Good luck.

[ This message was edited by: soonerfan85 on 2006-11-28 06:04 ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts