Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having the best day due to my poor mechanical skills and bad luck.

Performed my 12K mile valve clearance check and all clearances are within spec. I was re-installing the valve cover and the gasket popped out of the groove along the back side (along the throttle body intakes side) so I tried working it back in without removing the cover.
Could not get it so I temp removed the cover to go at it again and two of the 8mm hollow alignment dowels fell loose. One fell on the ground and the other is MIA. I have a horrible feeling in my stomach that it possibly found its way down the cam chain hole. I looked all over around the area I was working on my patio for 45 minutes. At least that or more in and around the valve train. Taking a break so I don't become increasingly angry with myself.

Asking fellow S3 owners that may have similar experiences to throw some advice my way.

It was either one of the outer pins. The center stayed put.

If I cannot find it I will be forced to open the side case to attempt to find it. There is no way I can risk it with that MF'r being down in my lower case somewhere.

Many thanks for any advice offered.

Matt F. Cape Canaveral

·
Registered
60 Posts
Might try one of those extendable magnets. I bet your about 3/4 sick to your stomach. Me personally I have never had our motor apart so I can be of any help but I'll send you some good thoughts.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the extendible magnet, carefully fishing around down the cam chain hole with no joy. My concern with that is if the head of the tool gets wedged on something down in there and breaks off. The one I have has a small screw holding it on.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe: Negative--I am not military. I work for Boeing Aerospace and just look at my pathetic mechanical skills! Sad sad sad...

Mark, I ordered the Gaskets last night from Bike Bandit. I think I have to take the starter cover off to get a couple of the fasteners that hold the right-side crack case cover.

Since I will be draining the oil maybe I should flip the bike upside down and shake the phucker until the blasted thing falls out!!

-mjf

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R.B.: Agreed!! The chance of it migrating over there is extremely remote but I was planning on it just in case I have a change in luck for once!

On a side note, my other bike (2012 R1200GSA) is presently broken down in South Dakota (valve spring broke and right side of the engine imploded) waiting for parts to come in from Germany to repair it under warranty. It has been there since 9/18/12!!! I am officially bikeless until I get Speedy back on the road. Someone asked me this morning how much it would cost to get me back on the road again and I answered "about $20,000." Asked why so much my reply was "That is the cost of the new motorcycle I am going to buy in Saturday so I have something to ride until I get my other 2 fixed!"

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Mark, I ordered the Gaskets last night from Bike Bandit. I think I have to take the starter cover off to get a couple of the fasteners that hold the right-side crack case cover.

Since I will be draining the oil maybe I should flip the bike upside down and shake the phucker until the blasted thing falls out!!

-mjf
Yeah there are 2 bolts behind the starter cover.:D

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success!!!

After hours of looking unsuccessfully outside of the bike for the missing alignment dowel I removed the right side case cover and hunted around. It was not there. So I put the bike in 6th gear and bumped the engine over a bunch of time to see if the dowel would somehow appear or make noise in the crank case. It did not.

I was about the button it all up and take my chances and the HOLY ****, "there it is"!!! I was laying on my side cleaning the area around the oil filter and as I was slowly getting up I looked in the nook that is on top of the crank case right below the starter and it was laying there. I had looked there several times before but did not see it initially. What I theorize is it was some how wedged in between one of the intake ports and when I was turning the engine over all of those times with the rear wheel all of the jerking and moving caused it to fall free and it became visible.

Bike is all back together and is 100% operational.

That was the LONGEST week without a bike ever! I cannot allow this to ever happen again!

I hope the rain moves out of Central Florida tonight because I want to spend some quality time with he S3 tomorrow!

Cheers to all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts