Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I got my bill from 12000 miles maintenance that included (at least per book):

air filter replaced
fuel filter replaced
oil filter replaced
oil change
coolant flushed
brake fluid replaced
spark plugs replaced
rear wheel bearings lubed
throttle body sync
valves clearances check
regular bearings/hoses/cables/adjustments/lubes/checks

I requested in addition, since the bike consumes a bit of oil at sustained high RPMs:

compression test
leak-down test

All tests came out perfect - compression is about 200 across all cylinders
leak down - less than 5%, all valves are in specs

total is $700 ouch! :eek::eek:

BTS, found this link to maintenance schedule:
http://www.triumph.co.uk/media/SprintST_05.pdf

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
SamaR,

You actually got a pretty good price for the 12K service. Some dealers want a couple a hundred for the clearance check alone. One dealer near me told me that he tells customers to budget a thousand for this service, just in case...??

I decided to do some myself and put some of it off until spring '09 between myself and the dealer. Several people here said the valves don't need checking until 24k, but I am no expert that's for sure. Mine will go in at about 18K for the stuff I cannot do.

And just think of it, the same exact stuff is "needed" at 24K, not to mention the 18K service. Better start saving now cuz those miles will come fast.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Approximately $600 for my 12,000 mile service. They warned me that my 24,000 mile service is going to be even MORE !!! Yikes. I'm at 17,000 miles right now. Maybe I'd better stop riding altogether.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Seven bills, not bad for the service. If they really did everything they said then that is not to expensive. Of course you are going, huh? Well to replace the fuel filter they need to replace the fuel filter/pump assembly and that thing is over $300 alone. So add all the labor and cost of other parts $700 really isn't that bad. Think what do people pay for just an oil change?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Good point Garyhjd.
Pretty good bet he didn't get a new fuel pump.

SamaR, does the reciept actually itemize fuel filter replacement? If so you should demand the removed pump assy or a partial refund. Give the dealer his choice.

The fuel filter on 1050's is integrated into the pump assy and not available as a seperate item.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point I would also be looking over the rear axle assy for prints and smudges to substantiate the rear bearing regrease... but that's just me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
CLB,

I didn't really want to mention that there is no way they replaced the fuel pump for what they charged. The labor to do the plugs, sync everthing, change coolant and brake fluid, pull rear wheel, etc plus parts would be well over the remaining $400.

To be totally straight I would want proof that they actually did what they said. Show me a box of parts when I come in, and yes I am taking them home to toss out myself.

g.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
as I said, the work was listed from the maintenance guide that I posted the link to, not from what the service dept told me, I will see the exact breakdown when the bike will be delivered to my garage next week.

So far I have no reason not to trust this dealer - I dealt with them before, I know many people that dealt with them, I bought a bike from them in the past.

They made gold level in the list of top US dealers as well. I never heard any bad stories about their service department. Will see.

The triumph issued maintenance schedule says "Fuel Filter - renew" - that's all I know.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hmm, I see. That is different--possibly. The only reason I say that is because the Triumph dealer closest to me quoted me $365 for the 12K service. When I inquired more, I found out they didn't follow anyone's service book very closely. Generic service regardless of bike brand. They just adjusted the valves, plugs and an oil change. Not even the air filter unless it needed it!! On one hand, I appreciated this don't do it unless it needs it approach, but they included the bare minimum.

I am not saying at all this is what you got for $700 big ones but as the other guys said, you should check the work order to see exactly what you paid for.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to a service manager and a mechanic on the phone - they said that oil and air filters, oil, brake fluid, coolant, plugs were replaced, I don't remember what else they mentioned, but they said they followed whatever triumph lists for this maintenance.
The mechanic remembered the valve clearances from my bike and he knew the right specs on what they are supposed to be. by heart, that made me think, at least he did it few times before. Also, in winter - all seasonal mechanics are gone and only the highest paid senior guys are staying employed through the winter usually, so, I have a good faith.

·
Registered
441 Posts
SamaR,

The big thing is if your happy. Service costs are different around the country as are all costs. So while I may pay more or less here, it does not really matter if your happy with it. I doubt they changed the fuel filter though, that is a major item on our bikes as it is incorporated into the fuel pump housing.

gary

·
Registered
260 Posts
The handbook for my 2008 Sprint does not list the fuel filter/pump in the maitenance schedule. I am assuming that as it is a sealed for life item it is sealed for the life of the pump and does not need regular replacement. (That does not mean they do not fail as I am sure there a few on here with tails to tell.) Only that they do not require any maintenance.

Although having said that I have seen earlier post 2005 handbooks that do list fuel filter replacement. Maybe that is a throw back to the pre 2005 Sprint it just took Triumph several years to catch up with the paper work.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Pre 2005

The handbook for my 2008 Sprint does not list the fuel filter/pump in the maitenance schedule. I am assuming that as it is a sealed for life item it is sealed for the life of the pump and does not need regular replacement. (That does not mean they do not fail as I am sure there a few on here with tails to tell.) Only that they do not require any maintenance.

Although having said that I have seen earlier post 2005 handbooks that do list fuel filter replacement. Maybe that is a throw back to the pre 2005 Sprint it just took Triumph several years to catch up with the paper work.
The fuel pump is not scheduled for replacement in earlier manuals for the 955i's.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just for reference this it the fuel pump/filter assembly.

I believe with a little ingenuity and initiative the do it at home folks will be able to find a cheaper work around. I have 25k miles on my original fuel pump and filter. I picked up an almost new pump & filter assembly on fleabay to dissect and replace mine at 30k.

·
Registered
267 Posts
One of the nice things about having a 2001 is that I didnt need to do my 12k at a Triumph dealership to stay under warranty...bucause the estimate JUST TO CHECK the valves was $450...and more if they actually had to do anything to them...and thats before any fluid, filter etc, changes.

So...

I did all the basic items myself and took her to a local mech for the valve check and adjustment. Total cost (with the oil and filters I bought) $200

·
Registered
260 Posts
My mistake I know the pre 2005 is a compltely differnt animal. Similar to my Daytona. I meant post 2005- pre 2008.

At my age the years go by so quickly. I think I might go back to sleep now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts