Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Trophy 1200 with 35000 miles on it.I live in Florida so I ride year round.The bike can sit for a week and start right up no problem and runs fine.But twice now after it sat for maybe 2 hrs.after running 70+ miles its hard to start,but does and seems to be running fine.Then after going about 1/2 mile or less it dies like its run out of fuel.Then I let it sit for a few minutes and open and close the gas cap(I don't know if this really helps but I'am in the middle nowhere and will try anything!) it will start up and run fine.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The next time it stalls out, open the gas cap slowly and listen for the sound of air being drawn into the tank; if not, ride it with the cap loose and if it doesn't stall out it's probably the "rollover valve" in the tank vent line that's clogged, and those 2 tests should isolate the problem. At least that's where to start...with the simplest things.

From the mind of the "village idiot" (another simple thing): Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next time it stalls out, open the gas cap slowly and listen for the sound of air being drawn into the tank; if not, ride it with the cap loose and if it doesn't stall out it's probably the "rollover valve" in the tank vent line that's clogged, and those 2 tests should isolate the problem. At least that's where to start...with the simplest things.

From the mind of the "village idiot" (another simple thing): Jim
Thanks much Jim,cleaned out the rollover valve and put in new fuel filters seems to be running fine.Thanks Again,Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts