Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience of the implications of removing the exhaust balance pipe?

I am in the process of fitting a '92 1200cc Trophy motor to a '99 900cc T/bird.
The T/bird is a sidecar outfit (hence the need for more horses) and the subframe that I have to use to give me the sidecar lower mounting points occupies the same space as the balance pipe.

The obvious solution is to cut the balance pipe out and blank off the holes. But Triumph presumably fitted the balance pipe in the first place for a good reason (low speed exhaust scavenging I'd guess) and I'm wondering if I will get poor low revs running.

Now, the T/bird has NO balance pipe. the 2nd and 3rd cylinders siamese together on the right side, and the 1st cylinder exits on its own on the left side. This set-up seems to work.
But no balance pipe and a 4 cylinder motor? Dunno.

My experience of 4's is limited to the early single cam Honda 4 motors, they ran ok with un-connected (i.e., no balancer) exhausts.

All and any experience will be welcomed.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Does anyone have any experience of the implications of removing the exhaust balance pipe?

I am in the process of fitting a '92 1200cc Trophy motor to a '99 900cc T/bird.
The T/bird is a sidecar outfit (hence the need for more horses) and the subframe that I have to use to give me the sidecar lower mounting points occupies the same space as the balance pipe.

The obvious solution is to cut the balance pipe out and blank off the holes. But Triumph presumably fitted the balance pipe in the first place for a good reason (low speed exhaust scavenging I'd guess) and I'm wondering if I will get poor low revs running.

Now, the T/bird has NO balance pipe. the 2nd and 3rd cylinders siamese together on the right side, and the 1st cylinder exits on its own on the left side. This set-up seems to work.
But no balance pipe and a 4 cylinder motor? Dunno.

My experience of 4's is limited to the early single cam Honda 4 motors, they ran ok with un-connected (i.e., no balancer) exhausts.

All and any experience will be welcomed.
it will run fine, just will have a off key exhaust note, as it fires 1&2 togather and 3&4 togather , ive put a set of 2 in to 1 drag pipes on a daytona ,well 2 sets of 2 into 1 pipes, it almost sounds like a v twin. and it dynoed better then factorey setup,the only thing the mid pipe does is level out the exhaust note

1 - 3 of 3 Posts