Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1200 Thruxton standard

10K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  nferr 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy a brand new 2016 model Thruxton standard with fairing kit in dark green they have reduded the price by thousands of $$$ and the Thruxton R is way to much, like your thought on this from any one that has the standard model, I have a 2013 Thruxton with 40k of trouble free miles but I have taken a liking to this1200 Thruxton.

Ashley

#40 ·
I am 5'8" and the Thruxton fits perfect, my bike at the moment is solo reg but I brought a new comfy duel seat for it on Monday and looks great on the bike I ride all day without any problems at all the 1200 feels so light under me and have had both tyres well over the the edge.

Ashley

#41 ·
After riding for a month now and the bike is fully run in I was thinking of performance pipes for it but at the moment I am very happy the way the stock pipes perform, the bike still gets up and go as it is, these bikes don't have the thump like the old Thruxtons with the different swing on the crank, what do you all think keep quite and keep it the way its is or spend heaps of money on a new system which ever way I am happy with it as it is.

Ashley

#42 ·
^^^
If it ain't broke... ;)

You might want to ride another Thrux with a Meekat X-Pipe just to compare..., but what more (performance) do you really need?

#43 ·
I second that! The Thruxton has plenty of power and torque for real world riding. I am considering doing a decat on mine but its not for performance, rather to get rid of unnecessary weight and heat.

From the engineering point of view of I would quite like to fit a straight through 2 into 2 system as it is more elegant than the X-pipe, but the readily available ones, Arrows and Scorpion, are ugly and expensive and I cant really justify spending large amounts of money on a bike that does exactly what I want as it is.

#44 ·
Well, I sold my 74 Yamaha 650 over the weekend. Now I need to fill the open spot it left. I will be driving up to a dealer this weekend to see if I qualify for that zero interest deal. If so, I will have my Thrux S after a two year wait. They had one last 17 model in competition green. They had it for $11,995. I've seen them with the front fairing installed for $10,995 in out of state dealers. I'll work my bidding if I can.

#45 ·
what happened?

A Thrux S for 12K would be a decent deal. All the 16 Thrux S were selling for around that the previous year.
I probably will never want another bike again - I can't now imagine what I would want that the Thrux S doesnt already do. And the killer good looks never go away.

Weedie
:laugh2:

#47 ·
I've noticed an interesting trend lately. There seems to be a lot less discounting industry wide. And prices of new models are thru the roof. Even Japanese touring bikes are pushing $30k US.
There's a dealer a couple hundred miles from me who has always sold a ton of bikes by advertising aggressively discounted prices online. I bought one from him years ago. I was looking on his site the other day and even some of his left overs are still listed at MSRP.
I think manufacturers may be cutting production to meet the realities of the cell phone generation.
My guess is that for those of us left zig zagging the 4 wheel cones, prices are going to become less consumer friendly.

#51 · (Edited)
Well the mods started took my stock pipes up to Peter at Meerkat to get the baffles opened up and also picked up the Meerkat cross pipe, what a job getting the old cat out, just got to put the pipes back on but they are saying another week of rain its been raining for 2 weeks now so plenty of time on my hands as well installing Triumph LED indicators on that I brought for my old Thruxton but never put them on.

Ashley

#52 ·
To make a long and boring story short, I had some first hand knowledge of "employee discounts" on GM cars; guys that worked for them in Dayton OH. There actually were discounts of up to 20% off MSRP to GM employees, which was genuine at a time when dealers had virtually NO incentives from the factory.

Now they use this as an advertising gimmick - does anyone believe it? We're all one big family and we all get the same discount!
Hello? We're looking for stupid people with money, thank you, sign here.

As always, with more useless knowledge than I know what to do with,

Weedie

#53 ·
Well finaly able to get out today on the bike after fitting the Meerkat cross pipe and debaffled the rain cleared up after 3 weeks of solid rain, man what a differents it has made to the bike and a beautiful sound from the mufflers, no more hesitation as soon as you open the throttle it just takes off, this was a cheap mod for such get up and go, but didn't go to far as the rain is still hanging around but I didn't get wet while out.

Ashley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.