Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Had its first service yesterday with 900ks clocked up on 3 rides, I am a bit angy with the shop as they still haven't found the orginal handle bars and head light brackets, will give them till next week and if they haven't found them I will be going to the top bosses about it as they belong to me and if they are missing they will have to replace them, other than that am very happy with the over all service they have given me and the Thruxton is going great.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ashman, how does the power of the 1200 Thruxton compare to the 900? The lack of "get-up" is the only thing that bothers me about my 2013 Thruxton.
I had no problems with the way my 2013 Thruxton went, for its got up and went for what it is but to compare it to the 1200 its so much more power and the pick up is great, they might have the same name but the 1200 is a different bike altogether, it feels lighter, handles so much better and has better brakes, I had to spend a lot of money on the old Thruxton to upgrade the front and rear suspension but so far the suspension feels good on the 1200, but will be putting the Ikons on the rear for better adjustment as for the front will wait till things bed in before any up grades, but other than that I love both bikes but the new one is so much better.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Another good thing with the 1200 is the extra gear, 6 speed as on my old Thruxton was always looking for that extra gear as well as having a choose of road modes, put it in sport mode and the throttle response is so good plus the 1200 Thruxton has a lighter crank than the 1200 Bonnies which helps it to spin up quicker..

Ashley

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Went for our first Sunday ride with the mates yesterday and a friend brought a new Speed cub the same day I brought my Thruxton, its his frist Triumph but when he found out how much I payed for my Thruxton he wasn't happy as he been ripped off with the price he payed for it $900 less than I payed for my 1200 Thruxton the Speed Cub is a water cooled 900 with the same things on it as my Thruxton, so he is not happy with his dealership who also gave him a low trade in price on his old bike.

Ashley

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ashman;2003385089....it be hard for me to sell my old Thruxton as I have done a lot of long trips on that bike but extra power and gear would be nice as I was always looking for another gear on the old Thruxton. Ashley[/QUOTE said:
Do you keep any blogs or ride reports? I honestly didn't know that you could put the fairing kit on the S model. Interesting. And for you to have done long trips on, I'd be interested in reading how comfortable it was. I'm on the verge of picking up a Street Cup. But I do like the S over the R Thruxton. Like someone above said, the R is great if you plan track days or performance rides on twisty roads. I'm more of a take it easy kind of guy.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you keep any blogs or ride reports? I honestly didn't know that you could put the fairing kit on the S model. Interesting. And for you to have done long trips on, I'd be interested in reading how comfortable it was. I'm on the verge of picking up a Street Cup. But I do like the S over the R Thruxton. Like someone above said, the R is great if you plan track days or performance rides on twisty roads. I'm more of a take it easy kind of guy.
No I don't keep blogs or ride reports, the mates I ride with have been riding together for over 40 years now we know each others riding habits and we know all of our faviorte roads that we have been riding on for as long.
The fairing kits made for the S and R and is a standard acceroury from Triumph and is easy to put on and take off.

Just got my stock bars and head light mounts from the dealer today and have removed the low clipons and replaced with the stock bars the position is a lot better for my ageing body and they fit with the fairing kit good, haven't taken it for a ride yet has been a bit hot here at the moment, will go out this afternoon when things cool down a bit.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Took it out for a good ride up the ranges to try the new bars a lot better than being leaning over with the low clipons the extra 2" made a big differents to my old back, found I can throw the bike around a lot easier and works great with the fairing. took it over the ton today for the first time and it does it so easy with out effort, it was so hot by the time I got home at 11am I was so wet from sweat under the leather jacket.

Ashley

·
Registered
436 Posts
Glad to report that, out of 5 Triumphs I have owned, the 2016 Thrux Std is BEST of the breed. It is probably the most complete ( it checks ALL the boxes) and best finished of all, by a hair. I have the white tank, and it comes with black fenders. This will be mod'ed to white fenders if I can stand to stay off the road for three weeks!
I have virtually no negatives to report, with exception of the stock seat - which was a chunk of wood. Had to swap it out for the dual comfort seat, which should have come with a bike of this caliber. The dual comfort seat is a $300 accessory, but worth it on any ride longer than 3 miles.
BUY IT, you won't be sorry, and you can hold me personally responsible if there's remorse ( which won't happen ).

Weedie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I went up to see them and they made a deal I couldn't refuse, but took the demo bike for a ride but it was the R, just loved the way it takes off and the acceleration, just loved it, pick it up Wednesday, anyone want buy a good used Thruxton.

Ashley
If I may ask, what did you pay compared to the original price? I am seriously considering a Street Cup. But if I can score a deal close to what you did on a previous year model, I'd definitely go that route. And do you have pictures of your bike? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Glad to report that, out of 5 Triumphs I have owned, the 2016 Thrux Std is BEST of the breed. It is probably the most complete ( it checks ALL the boxes) and best finished of all, by a hair. I have the white tank, and it comes with black fenders. This will be mod'ed to white fenders if I can stand to stay off the road for three weeks!
I have virtually no negatives to report, with exception of the stock seat - which was a chunk of wood. Had to swap it out for the dual comfort seat, which should have come with a bike of this caliber. The dual comfort seat is a $300 accessory, but worth it on any ride longer than 3 miles.
BUY IT, you won't be sorry, and you can hold me personally responsible if there's remorse ( which won't happen ).

Weedie
The day I put the deposit on my new bike I ordered the dual comfort seat as the wife will want to go on it but its been over 2 weeks now and its still hasn't arrived at the dealer, it will also be good when I throw my leather saddle bags over the seat , can't do it with the hump seat, I will be doing a lot of traveling on this bike the same as what I was doing on my old Thruxton.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
If I may ask, what did you pay compared to the original price? I am seriously considering a Street Cup. But if I can score a deal close to what you did on a previous year model, I'd definitely go that route. And do you have pictures of your bike? Thanks.
Its a bit hard to compare Aussie prices to US prices as our $$$ is low to US $$$ as well on any new cars, bikes and boats we pay high taxes, but the orginal price of my bike was $20,500 after some time the dealer put the fairing kit on it at their own cost and a few months before I brought it they dropped the price a few times as new models were coming in, when I looked at it they had dropped the price to $17,900 but when I asked them for cash price the salesman seen his boss and they dropped another $1,000 straight off it which I coundn't refuse and put a depoist straight on it so from the orginal price a drop of $3,500 plus the fairing kit.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you go back to page 2 on this thread the pic of Kiwidave4 of his bike is the same as my bike now, I have to get some pics so I can upload it here but you get the same pic of mine as Kiwidaves bike.

Ashley

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I can add my two pennyworth I would say go for the Thruxton over the SC. Its a lovely bike to ride, and when you cant ride its a lovely bike to look at!!

With the global downturn in motorcycle sales you should be able to haggle. I bought mine June last year, its a 2017, and even then I got the fairing kit thrown in and nearly $3000 off the retail. At present all the dealers here seem to be including the fairing kit with both R and S as well as reducing base price. In your market I would think you have even more scope to get a bargain.

Take one for a test ride, you wont want to give it back.

·
Registered
977 Posts
No great deals here in Vancouver, BC.
The dealers have added nearly $2000 to the price since I preordered my R in 2015.
I paid $14,500 Cdn plus taxes for the R without fairing.
The same bike today is priced at $16,300.
And the Canadian dollar has gone way up in value ( against US) since 2015!
I believe the 14,500 CDN converted to 10,800 US back then.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
And the Canadian dollar has gone way up in value ( against US) since 2015!
Manufacturers hedge currency 1 - 2 years out typically.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I can add my two pennyworth I would say go for the Thruxton over the SC. Its a lovely bike to ride, and when you cant ride its a lovely bike to look at!!

With the global downturn in motorcycle sales you should be able to haggle. I bought mine June last year, its a 2017, and even then I got the fairing kit thrown in and nearly $3000 off the retail. At present all the dealers here seem to be including the fairing kit with both R and S as well as reducing base price. In your market I would think you have even more scope to get a bargain.

Take one for a test ride, you wont want to give it back.
"..when you can't ride, it's a lovely bike to look at!!" Hahaha. I like that!

Here in Texas, we get about 330 or so riding days out of the year. There are bikes everywhere. I know the US price for the Standard starts at $13,000. That's not a bad starting point. The fairing is another $1,250 I believe. I wouldn't mind buying a model 16 or 17, as long as it was new. I do want a bike that will last many years. I see in another thread that the older air cooled bikes are easily doing 70,000+ miles. I can only imagine what these new motors are getting.

I'm shooting for April, after we get our raise at work. I haven't booked a test ride because as soon as I like it, I'll buy it. I'm trying to learn patience. Ha. Thanks for the responses. Enjoy your bikes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well Ashman. I'm sold. I really wanted a Street Cup. I live in a town of 40,000 people. Unless you're riding out of town or to our big lake, the top speed in town is 50mph. The SC would fit in nicely. Even if I wanted to ride out of town, the bike would be fine. Then I saw this thread and the picture of the Thrux S with the fairing. What's a few more thousand bucks, huh? I did an inventory check in Las Vegas since I'm there every now and then. They have a brand new SC with 1 mile for $6995 USD. That's $3500 off the MSRP. So then I decided to drive up to see the nearest dealer here in Texas. They had a SC at a great price. But the Thruxton is my want now. Right now, they currently have zero interest for 48 months for qualifying buyers. The deal ends on March 31st. Let's just say I've seen the future and I'm on a Thruxton.

I did notice that the seat height was a little tall on it. I'm 5'7" and had a little tip toe going on. I wasn't in boots though, just flat sneakers. I have to say the bike is beautiful in person. As is the bobber. I wish I remembered how I sat on the last few bikes I've owned.

How is the new seat you have for two up riding? And how tall are you? To be honest, everything felt comfortable. I just should've worn my boots. Though that would've made me ask for a test ride. I'm trying to be patient.

Great thread.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I am 5'8" and the Thruxton fits perfect, my bike at the moment is solo reg but I brought a new comfy duel seat for it on Monday and looks great on the bike I ride all day without any problems at all the 1200 feels so light under me and have had both tyres well over the the edge.

Ashley

21 - 40 of 54 Posts