Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All, Proud owner of a 2017 Explorer XCA. SO far all I expected with the exception of one thing!!! Does anyone else have a heat issues on the family jewels from the engine?? Here in Alberta I went riding the other day, it was approx 30C and wow was it hot on the boys!!! Anything anyone is doing or has done to divert the heat??:veryhot:veryhot:veryhot:veryhot

·
Registered
32 Posts
HI All, Proud owner of a 2017 Explorer XCA. SO far all I expected with the exception of one thing!!! Does anyone else have a heat issues on the family jewels from the engine?? Here in Alberta I went riding the other day, it was approx 30C and wow was it hot on the boys!!! Anything anyone is doing or has done to divert the heat??:veryhot:veryhot:veryhot:veryhot
Kislo,

I bought a 2017 XRt in January, and have the same question as you do. I have not seen any solutions to the heat on Triumphs with either the 800cc or 1200cc engines. Unlike Honda and Yamaha, with their ST1300 and FJR1300 sport-tourers, where the OEM's diverted hot engine air and also used some heat shielding, it does not appear that Triumph has done anywhere near enough to keep engine heat away from the rider's crotch, thighs or calves. What I have been doing is sitting further back in the saddle as far away from the crotch heat as possible and also wearing perforated riding boots as well as mesh pants. It would be nice if there was other alternatives.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred. I am not getting it on the lower legs as much, but definitely the crotch on temps above 25C. I am going to bring it up with the dealer this weekend and see what they suggest. If I find anything out I will pass along. Ride safe!!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wonder if a person could put some heat resistant material under the tank/seat to disperse the heat? I have seen similar material inside guitar amplifiers and inside cars that perform that function.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder if a person could put some heat resistant material under the tank/seat to disperse the heat? I have seen similar material inside guitar amplifiers and inside cars that perform that function.
I was wondering the same thing. When Honda first came out with the ST1300 and about the same time Yamaha came out with the FJR1300, I demoed both of them, and they did have a lot of hot air blowing on the rider's legs. Some of the owners started finding remedies and I believe that the OEMs redirected some of the hot air flow and also adopted the heat shield remedies the owners were using. I hope that Triumph does the same.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a 2014 XC and it's the same. I believe Triumph tweaked things and the new models are better, but clearly it hasn't made a huge difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2014 XC and it's the same. I believe Triumph tweaked things and the new models are better, but clearly it hasn't made a huge difference.
It does appears that Triumph has tried to re-distribute the air flow by providing an airflow channel right next to each side of the radiator, as shown below in black just right of the Explorer XRt.

This added airflow channel may help a little, but there is still significant heat flowing onto my boots, calves, thighs and groin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got a three month old XCA and if anything my bollocks are hotter than on the old model I had. Great in winter, less so in summer despite wearing trousers with vents in them. Would be interested in any solutions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Every 3 cylinder Triumphs I have had from the 95 Trident to the Explorer has had uncomfortable heat on my privates.

I learned to put the foil covered sticky foam on the bottom of the seats which helped a lot except on the 09 ST. Had to sell it as the lady of the house refused to ride it any more. Hot butt she said was not her idea of touring.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was giving this some more thought. Has anyone considered having the headers coated by jet hot? I called them out of curiosity and was quoted a bit less than $250 for standard colors and right at $250 for other colors. Only the outside would be coated due to the cat inside the header system. 30% to 40% reduction in heat.

The argument could be made that why would some one need/want to do this to their new $19k motorcycle. I know I have read that not everyone has experienced the heat issue, but for those of you who have, this may be a viable option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was giving this some more thought. Has anyone considered having the headers coated by jet hot? I called them out of curiosity and was quoted a bit less than $250 for standard colors and right at $250 for other colors. Only the outside would be coated due to the cat inside the header system. 30% to 40% reduction in heat.

The argument could be made that why would some one need/want to do this to their new $19k motorcycle. I know I have read that not everyone has experienced the heat issue, but for those of you who have, this may be a viable option.
Thanks for the idea. With 80 colors, Jet Hot is worth considering.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Another thought: why not remove the SAI (secondary air injection) system? I know on the air cooled bonnies it helps with operating temps.

After doing a little research, I found out the air injection plates on the tiger explorer are the same as on the daytona 675 R. British customs does not make them anymore, but driven racing does. You can get them for $36 from revzilla.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/driven-racing-engine-block-off-plate-daytona-street-triple

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another thought: why not remove the SAI (secondary air injection) system? I know on the air cooled bonnies it helps with operating temps.

After doing a little research, I found out the air injection plates on the tiger explorer are the same as on the daytona 675 R. British customs does not make them anymore, but driven racing does. You can get them for $36 from revzilla.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/driven-racing-engine-block-off-plate-daytona-street-triple
Would the block-off plates invalidate my warranty?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Reflect-A-Gold heat reflective tape looks like it could be effective under the seat. How many layers do you think it would take to keep the top side of the seat cool?

What did you use gold tape on?
I used it to isolate the airbox on my car. I had an issue with heat on my beetle and thought it would help (it did).

I would imagine that a single layer would do the trick. However, you may want to e-mail them and ask if multiple layers is doable with that product.

https://www.designengineering.com/contact

·
Registered
406 Posts
Would the block-off plates invalidate my warranty?
To my knowledge, no. I'm not 100% on how Triumph handles their warranties, but if it's anything like honda was (I used to work at a honda dealer), it would only invalidate the warranty if said modification caused the issue if the first place.

Example: if your front wheel bearing went bad, SAI block off plates wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you can choke up the bucks for a KonTour saddle it will help. It's amazingly comfortable and will add hours to your day. But it also has a mesh cover with some sort of reflective material under that. It keep water from puddling in your crotch and allows air to move freely which I think along with the reflective material really helps with the heat. I still get lots of heat on my legs but not in the "ball room".

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I bought my TEX XRT Nov 2017. I didn't have any issues with the heat until the spring/summer of this year. And it's bad. I have to move back in the saddle, open my legs, and sometime stand up to get away from the heat.

What I have done to battle engine heat:
I reached out to Triumph America and told them of my issue. Triumph America created a case for me to refer to. They told me to take it into the dealer and have them check the tuning. The dealer checked it out and didn't find anything. I got my bike back and continue to melt my ball bag, thighs, and legs after about 20 minutes in 95F heat. I wear proper gear (stitch aero and dainese boots). It's fine in the winter but sucks in the summer.

I recently bought HiwowSport Gold Reflective to put under the seat. I'll give that a shot and report back.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts