Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear All,
I understand it was a sort of optional at that time, but the question is which Smiths speedometer was stock between a 120 mph and a 150 mph on a Bonneville T120R US specs in year 1967?
Thank you for helping!

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I can't look it up at the moment;I think it was 120.This might help you decide.The 120mph turns 1600 revs per mile and uses 2:1 gearbox on the wheel.The 150 mph speedo turns 1000 revs per mile and uses 1.25:1 gearbox on the wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of the 67 T120R's that I have seen pic's of had Smith clocks that indicated 150 mph on the speedometer...same as my 68 T120R.

Bob
thank you Bob: I checked on the Smiths Catalogue and for some reasons it reports both the 120 mph and the 150 mph for the T120R in the 1967..

my guess is that probably the first part of the year was still following the equipment mounted in the 1966 (like the monoblocs) and during the rest of the year started to have a different equipment..

another guess could be that the 150 mph was an optional on request which was standard on the later machines..

does it make sense? is the anyone who may know anything about it?

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I would think that the part book is your best way to confirm what came on your bike. According to the '67 parts book that's on line, the '67 TR6 and T120 came with a SSM5001/06, which is a 150 mph speedo. There is no alternative listed for a 120 mph speedo so looks like not correct for that year. I also checked the speedo drive gearbox and the box is a D637 where the gearbox for the 120 speedo is D373.

There is currently a /06 on ebay.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I bought a tach from the guy in Oregon. I actually contacted him to ask if he had a tach (rare model) for my A65C and he said he would look for one and rebuild it for me. He did that and the tach looked good and works good. My only complaint was the face color was off and not as crisp as the face on my speedo. I called him and he said that was common. He offered to take it back and refund my money. I decided to keep it since it's a rare model. I looked at the instruments pics in his ad and the tach in that pic looks to not match the speedo either.

regards,
Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts