Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just found out that the rear tyre on my '95 Sprint is 12 years old and that the front is 10 years old by looking up the manufacturing codes on the side walls.

I'm also told that tyres loose 5% of thier performance qualities each year !!!!!

Do you think I should stop trying to scrape my boots going around corners ?

The front looks hardly even worn, do you think I could get another 7 or 8 years out of it ?

Pete

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
do it

You only get one life and there are millions of tyres out there you work it out.Cheers Paul

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much do you want for them?:D
HA !! I was wondering if Bridgestone wanted to buy them back for advertising purposes. They are BT57's.

Make me an offer oldndumb, they have years left in them as they're so hard they won't wear out anymore.

Pete

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
12 years....... man that has to be some kind of record on Sport Touring bikes. I expect that from Harley's but wow. Forget Bridgestone, call the Smithsonian.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Tire opportunity-BURNOUT!

Get a 55 gallon drum-put those 2 old tires in it and any other old tires you can find-add some gasoline and start the fire and enjoy the smell of burnng rubber for a couple of days! SWEET!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Listen for the big BANG

If the codes are correct you are luckey to be alive! A good may years ago I had some very old tires on my car. The right rear let go just North of the rock pile in North GA at speed. I am luckey to be hear! Do not even sit on your bike until you replace both. We do not need more bad news.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Cut them into little pieces and take them to the local daycare!

They're probably as hard as a No. 2 pencil, and approximately the same color, I'd guess!

The little darlin's can use them to color on the sidewalks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thankyou for all the replies.

I particulary like the idea of hanging them around a speed camera and setting them on fire.

I only got the bike about 3 months ago, with 10,500 on the clock.
I've put 750 miles on it since plus about the same on my SV1000, it would have been much more but for the bad weather.

I do about 7000 miles a year normally on my bikes.

Joking aside, I know they aren't safe yet they grip quit well unless your really getting it over at speed. The rear was worn totally flat with the sides having big virgin chicken strips on. when I got it. It handles just like a shagged, squared off out of date tyre should but I've ridden worse, like full motorcross knobbly tyres on the road.

I use my many years of experience, my nerves of steel and stunning good looks to compensate.

Pete

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To see what can be acheived with an old tyre or a small amount of explosive. Just Google Captain Gatso
A link would be nice !!!

you have to remember I'm getting old now and don't have the time to waste searching the world wide web for stuff.

Pete

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got a pair of sandals with the sole made out of old tyres
I think we could start a compettion to see who came come up with the best idea for what to do with an old set of tyres.

So we have tie them around a speed camera and set fire to them.

Make footwear from them.

I'll add in, leave them on and see if I can squeeze another year out of them.

Any more ?

Pete

1 - 20 of 39 Posts