Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Speedmaster has had some custom work done to it and it has LED turn-signals up front in the rear view mirrors. It has a K&S Technologies flasher relay. The relay is $23.

Can any 12 volt , three prong relay work??? Or am I best getting an exact replacement?

Thanks,

MK

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had troubles with normal flashers and LED lights, so I'd say stick with the same flasher. A normal flasher will probably blink twice as fast since it will think your front blinkers are out since the LEDs have very little resistance compared to normal bulbs. My LED blinkers are wired in with resistors to make the flasher work.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
...the LEDs have very little resistance compared to normal bulbs. My LED blinkers are wired in with resistors to make the flasher work.
Less resistance would mean higher current - actually LEDs draw very little current and your adding of resistors (in parallel) to the LEDs is actually making the resistance LOWER.

MK - There is no need to use resistors (which are cumbersome and a waste of energy ) - get a plug n play electronic relay. You have to be careful fo get the correct one for Triumphs as it uses a different pinout configuration - like BMW bikes and some European autos. Those intended for US & Japanese autos will NOT work in a Triumph. But that does not mean the correct one is obscure either.

Here's one source for correct one:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR#FL-889

You need type CF13GL-02

·
Registered
705 Posts
Oh snap! That's right about them being in parallel... I had a loose connection between the chair and key board. Point is they're there to make the normal flasher work, be it through current, resistance, or witchcraft:p

Anyway, yeah, I'm totally against wiring in the resistors after having done it. If I was wiring up my america again I'd drop a little extra cash to get a flasher that works with the LEDs as is. Better yet, just get the cheaper normal lights since i only use hand and arm signals anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only the front mirror signals are LED's. The rear ones are bulbs and then there is the bulb on the tank indicator light.

The Speedmaster came with all the upgrade work done to it and I did have to fix a short in the handle bar going to the left front mirror turn-signal as it would stop working from time to time.

Here is a pic of the front turn-signals:

And the back turn-signals:

And the side view:

Here is the part that I pulled from the bike:

And here is a link to the info on said part above:
http://www.kandstech.com/index.php?page=relays

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Did it ever work?

If you use the relay I indicated, doesn't matter whether you have LED at only one corner or multiples - electronic relay does not look at the current so will always flash at correct rate.

Your tank indicator light - that will most likely cause both flashers to go together (like hazards). Is that your problem perhaps?
Triumph wires the indicator lamp across both turn signal wires - this works when incandescents are in there but when you add LEDs that no longer works
You will need to reconfigure the wiring to the that lamp with some diodes.
As a test just pull that bulb & see what happens.
If that is indeed your problem, let me know & I can tell you how to address that.

Verde said:
... I had a loose connection between the chair and key board....
Verde - you had me on the floor with that one!
Greetings & peace from fellow Bay Area rider

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...Your tank indicator light - that will most likely cause both flashers to go together (like hazards). Is that your problem perhaps?
Triumph wires the indicator lamp across both turn signal wires - this works when incandescents are in there but when you add LEDs that no longer works
The indicator light seems to work just fine and does not seem to effect the operation of the turn signal lights at all with the current electronic relay from K&S.

The problem is that when the unit gets hot (after riding for a very short time) it stops working all together. It will still make the clicking sound like it is working.. but non of the lights... including the indicator light will blink. If I let it cool off then it starts working again.

I ordered the K&S from a local dealer and it should be in on Wednesday so I will give it a try and see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

-MK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New flasher relay works.

Wanted to follow up with this since I started the thread... :rolleyes:

I installed the new K&S flasher relay on Sunday and took the bike for a nice long ride and had zero problems with the turn-signals so it was indeed a bad flasher relay.

Thanks for all the replays and help.

On a side note I am putting this lovely bike up for sale (see pictures), which has lots of upgrades. I was thinking of a asking price of around $7300? It is a 2005 with less then 4500 miles on the bike. Does this sound about right? (Phila PA area)

Thanks,

-MK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts