Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first halogen headlight bulb in my 2018 Bonne T120 lasted for 6 months. The second burned out after 6 months too. I’ll add that both burned out at very inconvenient times. That, combined with the fact that the factory headlamp was far less than satisfactory galvanized me into action this Tuesday and this is how I took care of that problem:

I put a JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 Dual Burn LED lamp (part # 0554961) in the stock bucket. The lamp cost $299.80 and a Triumph 7” Headlight Adapter Ring from Motodemic cost $145.73 (both prices include all tax, shipping, etc. Total cost was $445.53 and I had everything in my possession just two days after I pulled the trigger.

And boy howdy is it bright. I chose this particular lamp because i like the looks of it and it’s a higher wattage lamp than almost all the others. That said, it’s still 15+ watts less than the stock halogen bulb.

No, it’s not an adaptive lamp, but the beam pattern is a whole lot wider than the stock pattern. And the high beam is like a flame thrower.

Both photos below were taken in the shade on a sunny day.

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I like that you went with the chrome inner bezel. It somewhat diffuses the "Blade Runner" look of the lamp.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s one of the reasons why I didn’t go with a Motodemic lamp. They only offer their Evo S non-adaptive lamp in black and graphite (gray) and that was a deal breaker for me. Additionally, the JW Speaker 8700 is a higher wattage lamp than the Motodemic Evo S. The Evo S has a slightly wider low beam pattern, but the 8700 is still a hell of a lot wider than any halogen lamp.

Finally, the Motodemic lamps just look too busy to me. Yeah, the 8700 looks space age, but it’s more subtle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
If I could get the DRL equipped unit with the chrome bezel I'd make the swap. I doubt JW Speaker would sell the ECE compliant model (right hand traffic) to someone stateside but I'll ask.:dunno

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I could get the DRL equipped unit with the chrome bezel I'd make the swap. I doubt JW Speaker would sell the ECE compliant model (right hand traffic) to someone stateside but I'll ask.:dunno
The ECE models are LEFT-hand traffic. The DOT/ECE models are RIGHT-hand traffic. The LH/RH difference only affects the low beam and is very slight (the light pattern is almost symmetrical).

I didn't care whether the 8700 I bought had DRL or not. The headlight on my bike is always on if the key is on and the only way you could see the DRL illumination in the OEM lamp was if I turned the switch all the way past the fork lock position into the parking lights position (or the main headlamp bulb burned out). Otherwise, the DRL/parking light function was, for all practical purposes, invisible.

Ok, I guess I should be thankful that the OEM lamp had that DRL feature when those halogen bulbs burned out, but I don't expect that to happen with the new LED lamp.

The Jeep version (Evo J2) is DOT and has the DRL feature, but as you noted it isn't available with the chrome bezel.

Pete

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I too had a light burn out at a time that felt early on my Thruxton, and yes I understand these things happen. It's an anecdote until there's data that suggests a pattern. The guy at the parts counter made the uncontroversial observation that these things happen if you source things like lightbulbs at the cheapest possible source...without getting into geo economics or saying things that get out of control on the internet.

I just replaced the bulb, but PGR, if one left turning motorist sees you who wouldn't have otherwise, that's a damn good use of 445 bucks!

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a few photos of the light pattern that the JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 Dual Burn LED lamp puts out. The first two are low beam and high beam shining against a wall behind the local Albertson's store. The bike was about 30 feet from the wall and the light pattern actually spreads quite a ways past the left and right edge of the photos. The 3rd and 4th are shining down a reasonably dark street near my house. The street was lit by some widely-spaced street lights too, but it was still fairly dark there.

It's too bad that I don't have before & after photos, but I can assure you that the LED headlight puts out a whole lot more light than the halogen light did and the color temperature is noticeably whiter. The photos really don't do that justice.

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, the photo below is the low beam photo cropped to show the beam's hot spot. This is a right-hand traffic lamp and you can see that the top of the hot spot slopes down from right to left which, if the headlamp is adjusted correctly, will help prevent the beam from shining in oncoming drivers' eyes. If this was a left-hand traffic lamp the slope would go the other way.

And note that the high-beam pattern doesn't have the slope.

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just replaced the bulb, but PGR, if one left turning motorist sees you who wouldn't have otherwise, that's a damn good use of 445 bucks!
I would never downplay the importance of being seen, but my impetus for spending the money was equally driven by how much better I'd be able to see.

And so it is. ;)

Pete

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
The ECE models are LEFT-hand traffic. The DOT/ECE models are RIGHT-hand traffic. The LH/RH difference only affects the low beam and is very slight (the light pattern is almost symmetrical).
It's probably a moot point Pete, but JW Speaker makes a right hand traffic ECE compliant model for continental Europe. It's part number 0553321.
(My bike has the UK headlamp with the DRL and the corresponding switchcube with the extra switch and I don't want to give up the DRL.)

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've received several PMs asking about the adapter rings needed to fit one of these JW Speaker headlamps in a modern Triumph twin. Motodemic sells them, but they don't make them easy to find in their website. In fact, I don't think it's possible to find them by surfing the site's menu tree. What you need to do is go to the main Products page and type either "adapter ring" (for 2016 & newer water-cooled twins) or "retainer ring" (for pre-2016 air-cooled twins) in the search field.

But I'll save you the effort:

This is the link to what you want for a 2016+ liquid cooled Bonneville T100 & T120, Thruxton 1200 & R, Street Twin, Street Cup, and Street Scrambler:

https://motodemic.com/shop/triumph-7-inch-headlight-adapter-ring/

This is what you want for many of the pre-2016 air-cooled Triumph twins:

https://motodemic.com/shop/triumph-housing-retainer-rings/

The impression I get is the the 2016 and newer Triumph twins have an 8" headlight bucket the pre-2016 air/oil-cooled twins had a 7" headlight bucket which is why you need different parts for the earlier bikes.

If you're unsure about the fitment you can always call Motodemic.

Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
@PGR Thanks for the well-informed review! I'm definitely considering buying them if I can make them work.

Question: how much more room does it take inside the enclosure compared to stock? I put in some splitters there for my custom lights, and I barely fit everything in, so curious if this lamp takes more room in which case I may not be able to make them work for me.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't do any careful comparisons when I had the two lamps on the bench, but a casual comparison made me believe that the JW Speaker lamp takes up less room in the headlamp bucket.

Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
@PGR - thanks for putting all the details of this upgrade out on the forum. I ordered the same parts you used for my 2016 Thruxton R and it was a pretty simple replacement with very good results. The only difficulty I had was replacing the new lamp in the bucket without removing my flyscreen. Once I unscrewed the flyscreen it clipped right in.

Before I ordered the adapter ring from motodemic, I spoke with one one of their employees about the difference between the jw speaker bulbs and the motodemic bulbs and he said theirs were designed for motorcycles with a wider beam while the speaker ones were generic car/motorcycle. I had already ordered the jw speaker bulb though and liked the concept of low and hi beam on together with the latest speaker bulb.

Allen

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Thanks for this thread Pete. I wouldn't have given the Evo 2 a second look otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
So how do you like the way it lights up the road, Allen?

Pete
Two thumbs up! I had been actually avoiding riding much at night because of the poor quality of some of the roads and my inability to see some of the hazards. Our suburb was planned and built out in the 1920-30s and over the past 3 years they have been systematically replacing all the original sewer lines and it has resulted in some awful roads as the township digs and patches. Otherwise driving around Philadelphia at night one doesnt really need a headlight with all the street lights and other light pollution. But once out into the surrounding country side the wide angle and high intensity will be a great boon.

As people can see from your pictures the low beam has a sharp cutoff that is generally below the side mirrors of cars in front of you so no one is getting blinded when you pull up behind them. The high beam is glorious and uniform in that you get much more range but you don't lose the near field illumination like with the stock setup. I am a big fan of the dual burn tech.

The central hot spot is even noticeable in daylight as it lights up the wall next to my driveway when I pull out. It also lights up the reflective surface on road signs from quite a distance - and even further at night. Hopefully it does as well with deer eyes to help avoid them too!

Thanks again for the recommendations!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just chiming in to give a +1 to Motodemic. I ordered the adaptive kit (and some Rizoma signals) from them last year and they (or, at least, Brad Wood, who I spoke to) was very helpful. The install was well documented in a video and, aside from cramming everything back into the bucket, was painless.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Just chiming in to give a +1 to Motodemic. I ordered the adaptive kit (and some Rizoma signals) from them last year and they (or, at least, Brad Wood, who I spoke to) was very helpful.
Got a pic you could share with the class?:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts