Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2012 explorer and have noticed that once I turn the key on and let everything clear/prime I’ll hit the ignition start button a couple of times before it will finally turn over the motor. The motor is not trying to crank when the button is being pushed. Usually on the 3rd or 4th push the bike fires right up and runs great. I don’t know if maybe it takes awhile for these bikes to prime Or I have an electrical problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I only have 2 more weeks on dealer warranty so would like to know if I need to take it back to them. Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Because these bikes use a CAN BUS network the starter button just provides an input to a module and the module decides when to trigger the starter. My Sprint GT and my Explorer will sometime do exactly what you're referring to if I'm onto the starter button immediately after turning the ign on. Not saying it's normal, but maybe just wait a few more seconds with the ign. on before you hit the start button. If you still have warranty it may be worth taking it in and documenting your concern so if it does become a problem down the road you have something to fall back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts