Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, it’s true! :sad:
Figure: a 2009 basic black Triumph Bonneville is now $7700 at my dealer. NJ 7% sales tax on that is $540. His additional charges are dealer prep $150, freight $450. License and registration is prolly another $150. And my first year insurance would be around $300…
So that comes to $9290, OTD!!

Basic upgrades (AFAIC): Good shocks $300. Sit-able seat $300. Centerstand $250. Total= $850.

My needs: Case guards with hiway pegs to rest my legs occasionally $300. Small windshield $150. Saddlebag mounts with saddlebags, maybe $350.
Total= $800.

So, for the first year with my new Bonneville, I would need to lay out $10940, or figure $11K, what with various taxes and under-calculations and such..!

I dunno... Sticking with my already owned two scoots is starting to look better and better to me, especially in this crazy economy! I really love the look and feel of the Bonnie, the EFI and tubeless radials on cast wheels make it now even more appealing, and I read where the handling is good (with updated suspension!), but is all that worth an $11K outlay to me nowdays? –I dunno… :confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
my opinion

7700 for the Bonnie isn't bad. Dealer prep, etc can be negotiated, cause I can't beleive they are selling a lot of bikes in this economy. shocks, seat, highway pegs don't have to be upgraded immediately, use the stock setup and see how you like it. on the bags, windshield etc, bargains can be found. I paid less than 75 bucks for my winshield. Centerstand is nice but you can live without it. I pay about half the insurance amount you quoted on my scrambler.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
It's not the bike that is costing you all that money its all the other stuff. How can one complain about owning a legend for 7700 bucks?

You couldn't buy a comparable sized bike of any other brand and do all the stuff you want for any less.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Offer him the MSRP without "freight" and "prep" and "dealer documentation fees" and see if he'll take it. Tell him you want 20% off any accessories that you buy at the same time (including helmet, jacket and gloves), and free installation if that means anything to you. Go for it now, because the spring selling season is just around the corner.

The other stuff can be added in bits and pieces, although the center stand is nice to have, and you can install most or all of that stuff yourself. You can live with the stock seat and stock shocks and no windshield for a while, and it'll give you an appreciation for the change when you do get those items. You might even change your mind about some of them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Your title is a bit misleading. New bonnies cost considerably less than 11k.

I see nothing unreasonably expensive in what you listed. You cant really expect them to give you saddle bags, a windscreen, and upgraded shocks for free do you?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I dunno... Sticking with my already owned two scoots is starting to look better and better to me, especially in this crazy economy! I really love the look and feel of the Bonnie, the EFI and tubeless radials on cast wheels make it now even more appealing, and I read where the handling is good (with updated suspension!), but is all that worth an $11K outlay to me nowdays? –I dunno… :confused:
It sounds like you should stick with your scooter. Isn't the Easy Does Band a working band? You should be able to afford a couple grand over MSRP.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Clearly you want this bike so we need to help you get there, in which case:

1. Sell one of the scoots privately or
2. Use it as a trade-in against your bonnie - which saves time and aggro
3. Tell the dealer what the list of options is that you want and ask for their very best price to have them ALL fitted at the outset (this will save both of you time and headaches)
4. Ask if there is a deal to pay in cash in full
5. Show genuine willing that you want the bike and just ask them to sharpen their pencil to help you become a bonnie owner

Get it right and depending on the value of your scoot you could perhaps get the bonnie on the road for, what, $8k?

Everyone is negotiating on retail prices now, even in jolly old conservative UK. This week I had to buy a necklace at £330. I told the shop owner my budget was £250. She showed me other stuff. I said my wife wants this one, is there room for maneovre. She knocked £50 off - I said deal - and spent the £50 on beer and a very fine curry:D

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It is all in the mind, my man [of course, I do understand the issue of OTD]. You want the motorcycle - the price for the motorcycle is $7700. All the other BS stuff is BS stuff that you can haggle away and perhaps turn it more toward your favor. Hey! Insurance could be dropped on the price too, but that's more BS stuff.
I prefer the illusion, which could be viewed as reality as one wishes. I paid 7 grand for my Triumph. Don't think much about the other stuff because I have the Triumph I wanted.

And it is sooooo very fine!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I agree with the other posters. It's about priorities. If your dealer won't come to the party, then go to a different dealer. If you can't get a new bike for the price you want, buy a used one with the features on it you want. Seems to me you're not trying hard enough.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Going on the cheap

Unless you just have to have the brand new bike, there are many deals on almost new bikes that already have a bunch of mods done and very little miles. Seems like people buy the bike, lay out the money for the upgrades, and then find out they really don't like riding. That is how I got my 06 Bonnie last year. It had 3000 miles, chrome front fender, TORs, A/I removed, tach, grab rail, center stand, oil and filter for its 3rd change, and a cheapo helmet. I got it for $5600. There are deals on accessories to be had as well unless you need the corp logos. I got leather overpants, leather jacket, boots, gloves, and large PVC saddle bags for another $300 from Leather up. Full face helmet for $125 from local shop. National Cycles Deflector Shield for $50. I just ordered a new cordura armored mesh jacket for $70. Even with taxes, insurance, ect I am under $7k. The fun with the mods is planning, shopping, and contemplating. If you are on a low budget like me you really appreciate them once you get to do them. I usually change my mind before I get around to doing them so I don't waste the money on something I would be wanting to change again anyway. To me the fun factor is worth way more than the money I have spent on the bike.:D

Pops

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
cost vs. Passion

Are you really committed to a new Bonneville? If you are truly committed, go to the dealer and follow the advice posted thus far, you should be able to make a nice deal on the bike and some if not all, of the accessories.
Used bikes are plentiful if you dont' mind a previous owner, do some shopping around, find a nice bargain and buy it.
So, are you going to be influenced by money or passion? If you truly want the bike, money is absolutely not a factor, just getting a nice deal is.
Do it, get yourself on a Triumph!! NOW!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why do so many people here want their bike for nothing, fcol?
Just pay the price and start riding. Enjoy it while you can.
You live only once.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I paid 13000 aus dollars for my bonnie last year-cash-I've never had a second thought,now whats your problem?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yep, it’s true! :sad:
Figure: a 2009 basic black Triumph Bonneville is now $7700 at my dealer. NJ 7% sales tax on that is $540. His additional charges are dealer prep $150, freight $450. License and registration is prolly another $150. And my first year insurance would be around $300…
So that comes to $9290, OTD!!

Basic upgrades (AFAIC): Good shocks $300. Sit-able seat $300. Centerstand $250. Total= $850.

My needs: Case guards with hiway pegs to rest my legs occasionally $300. Small windshield $150. Saddlebag mounts with saddlebags, maybe $350.
Total= $800.

So, for the first year with my new Bonneville, I would need to lay out $10940, or figure $11K, what with various taxes and under-calculations and such..!

My dealer quoted me $449 for Dealer prep (they call it a Handling fee), so $150 seems almost fair. $450 seems to be a common cost for shipping. Doc Fee $179.50, License fee $150. Total: $1228.50 before sales tax. Accessories: don't get me started. I went with a used 07 BB.
See the thread of my adventures:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/104414-trying-to-buy-my-new-t-100-a.html

·
Premium Member
2005 T-100, 2010 Street Triple, 1974 Honda CB550
158 Posts
Drummer,

Unless you absolutely have to have EFI I'd look around for a leftover '08. Manayunk Triumph in Philadelphia has a couple including a demo model T-100. You're in NJ so Manayunk is essentially 2hrs max from anywhere. Additionally, that purchase should qualify you for the $750 accessory incentive.

Prior to buying my Thruxton I was a little intimidated by the number of mods everyone discusses on this site. However, I guarantee you will be satisfied with the stock setup and encourage you to ride with the basics. By checking out sites like Madds.com (also in NJ - you'll have in-stock items in one day w/ free shipping), Ebay, and this site's classified ads you can pick up bolt-on items that other guys might be sick of. In the last year I have only upgraded my exhaust and made a few low-cost at-home mods. I'm currently working on my suspension, but it's really out of boredom rather than necessity.

It's no secret that bike manufacturer's and dealers are hurting these days, too, so hopefully you can ride away with a sweet deal.

Used is the other great route, of course. However, I understand concerns there, too, and it's nice to have a warranty. It's worth keeping an eye on Craigslist, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
818 Posts
these triumphs have terrible resale value, probably get a good deal
Actually over here in OZ. the new Triumph Bonnevilles have fantastic resale value... a 2004 model will still command 8000 Aus dollars with the accs etc,Gotta be the cheapest way to buy into a Legend:)J.B.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Canada as well. Great resale value especially in Bonnie Land. If you can find one. There is one 04 advertised for 8000. Brutal expensive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
my solution

here was my tactic when i bought my bike...

07 bonnie black, 7400 OTD bone stock no accessories...

*thought in head at time* man, what a great deal. i'll just live with it stock, after all, i don't really NEED any aftermarket stuff...i'll just be content since the price is so good.

*reality of what happened* man, this bike is great and there's all kinda great accessories for it!!! just charge it all to teh credit card and be done with it for now!!!

LOL impulsiveness is bliss when it comes to my CC and my bonnie...i just can't resist lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts