Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that it matters all that much, but I've been thinking about '96 Triumphs, which ones were discontinued, which ones are still around, etc. (I'm ignoring the cruisers & classics.)

Back in '96, they made these bikes:

Daytona
Speed Triple
Trophy (900/1200)
Trident
Sprint
Tiger

For '07, this is the lineup:

Daytona
Speed Triple
Sprint ST
Tiger

So, theoretically, the Trophy & the Trident have been eliminated. However, that's not really how I see it. Here's my take on old vs. new...

Old Daytona- The go-fast bike of the lineup. The new Daytona 675 is a lot smaller, but it's still the go-fast bike.

Old Speed Triple- The naked hooligan. The new Speed Triple is the old Speed Triple, but more so. (To the point of self-parody, IMHO. :razz: I hate what they've done with the exhaust/tail over the last couple years...)

Old Trophy- The touring bike. Theoretically gone from the lineup, but the Sprint ST has taken its place.

Old Trident- The naked all-rounder. Gone, alas.

Old Sprint- The half-naked all-rounder. As of '07, this bike is now known as the Tiger. :-D

Old Tiger- The on/off dual-sport adventure bike. The name lives on, but the model doesn't.

All IMHO, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
492 Posts
I keep looking at the Speed Triple. I haven't ridden one yet. I love the looks. I have reservations about it's all weather performance: no rear fender (so in the wet does it shoot a rooster tail?), stubby front fender (so it throws crud into the oil cooler). I could live without a fairing as a wind break (says he from the warmth of his office). I've heard great things about the engine and handling. I'm scared of the brakes (lever to bar required for action). The rear seat looks like it was designed as an afterthought (maybe by the Marquis de Sade).

The thing is, if you changed all of that stuff, you wouldn't have a speed triple. It would be an updated Trident (there's an idea).

I've heard that Triumph is planning a bike for the ZX-14/Hayabusa niche. I wonder.....

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Oldspeed Triple is an original cafe racer stuff....

New Speed Triple (fantastic as it is) is Street fighter with factory fashion thrown in..

They have missed atrick with the lack of a well priced all rounder like the trident in the range tho

:wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts