Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taxes are not included. Is this too much, I don't want to get gouged but it doesn't seem dealers are going to much lower than this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
If its 10,800 out the door then that means taxes included, if that price doesn't incluse taxes then it's not OTD!!!

Not that this has any relation to the present model, but last April a dealer in Dallas had 3 2007 S3's left over as the newly updated 2008 models were rolling in the door. The dealer was letting the 2007 models go for only $7600+TTL. At that time the S3 retailed for $10,300 so that's pretty huge savings right there.

I know these were previous year models and the new models were updated and sitting at a higher price point making the older models much cheaper in the eyes of the consumer. All in all what I am trying to say is that there are some really awesome deals out there, you just have to keep your eyes peeled and ears tuned to whats going on out there and be ready to buy at a moments notice because when deals like that come along you have to act fast.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'd say it's good considering the 09 msrp is 11,300
I paid msrp. Free freight, set up and first service

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seriously, hunt around and don't be afraid to drive if it gets you a good deal. Also, what is sales tax for your area? What does it bring the price to?

The only thing I didn't mention is my $9800 purchase came in May, which is prime-time buying season, the best offers I got in MI were around $11,200 OTD and I got $500 in "free" gear. My real purchase price was probably closer to $9300-9500 if you factor in the gear.

Don't be afraid to jump at an '08, there are still some out there and you can probably just about steal it now, unless you really want the special edition '09. I still can't decide if I like the color combo on the '09...I think it kinda sucks. I still like the older SE Daytona combo better, now that was sexy.

Let us know what happens!

P.S. Bob, awesome $%$$% Deal!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Let us know what happens!

P.S. Bob, awesome $%$$% Deal!
I should be honest, that was my deal out the door, but that was in a dealership out of state, so when i brought it home and registered it i still have to pay tax+registration fee, which was another 700. But figuring it your way, take off the $1000 accessories (got me the arrow slip-ons), i paid around 8700.... which i was happy with. With what i paid, i didnt think it was worth the extra cash for the brembos (would have been about a $2000 difference in the end). I never had a problem with the brakes, but i realy like the difference the GSXR master cylinder made.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here's my dilemma, I'm looking for an 08 Blazing Orange but it doesn't seem any dealers in the US carry one. If you know of one let me know. As it stands there are only a handful of '09s in that color left. Here's the best I've found on the '09s:

My local dealer is willing to do $10750 with NO $1000 of stuff. They are also claiming that they don't do TTL and instead it's on me to go in person and pay it at the DMV. So the tax is $922 plus what ever title and license is. Lets make it an even $1000. So my no kidding out the door price would be $11750. Seems high to me.

A dealer in Dallas is saying they can do $10800 WITH $1000 of stuff. It would still be on me to pay TTL here in OK. So OTD is 11800. If you count the $1000 in accessories then $10800 OTD.

Does anyone know where I can find an 08 blazing orange I can snag? Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
420 Posts
At least around here, if you don't pay what they're asking for it, then someone else will. Like you've said, there's only so many left of the color you want. If you want one, you better buy it. Doing just a little bit of research will tell you that what they are asking is below retail. Not like they're gouging you.

PS
OTD = Out The Door. To summarize this, that means its the total you pay. It is most times bike price, plus freight, plus setup, plus doc fee, plus TTL. That's what Out The Door means. All costs accounted for.

To be sure you know what you're getting, make sure the absolute last line on the contract is the number that you are willing to pay. Doesn't matter if they charge you $500 freight and $500 setup as well as a $500 doc fee. They better have the bike retail price discounted by $1500 if that is the case. I sure hope it wasn't the sales person that put the "out the door" mentality in your head. That would just make it sound like a simple package deal. Not the case though if they're gonna make you pay taxes or any other fees on top of that later.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just brought home a 2009 jet black S3 for $10,752 OTD.

That was list ------------ $11,299
minus the "dealer cash - $1,500
no freight----------------+ $0
documentation fee-----+ $250
tax (6¾% here) -------+ $678
title----------------------+ $15
temp plate---------------+ $10.50

The "dealer cash" part was explained as the the money they got for the current promotion, so I can't get any gear with my bike. But since it was $1000 of gear and they took off $1500 I think I'm ahead.

The dealer had one BlazinOrange S3 left and it was being delivered today as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your price sounds good - but you should get them it eat the tax & title costs so that your 10,800 quote is truly, "OTD" cost.

One thing, just keep in mind when comparing what other people have paid - the "List Price" on a Speed Triple has gone up quite a bit in recent years. For reference:
2005, 2006 & 2007 MSRP = $9,999
2008 MSRP = $10,299
2009 MSRP = $11,299

Just feel good about the deal and get the bike you want. Don't worry about getting the "Best Deal", 'cause there's always someone who gets a better deal. (Unless your Tejasmtb who got a ridiculous deal that I can't imagine anyone lese ever getting.)
Good Luck shopping,
CT

EDIT: P.S. No matter what the dealer tells you, remember that the $1000 in accessories comes directly from Triumph HQ - the dealer doesn't pay anything on that and it doesn't cost him anything. So whatever he charges you, he is essentially getting $1000 back from Triumph HQ that he puts into his pocket. So if you pay $10,800 with no accessories, he's making $11,800.

·
Registered
440 Posts
FWIW - In 2007, I paid $10,500 OTD for my 2006 S3 - with about $1500 worth of bolt-ons, including a Micron exhaust, black heels guards, radiator covers, hugger, frame guards, axel hub covers, etc. (Before tax, title & accessories, the cost for the bike alone was well below 9 grand.)

So considering the $1300 MSRP increase in the last two years, a $10,800 OTD price would be just about as good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What would be a good price on a used '08? Should I take into account the KBB and NADA values which put it right at $8000 flat?

Maybe if I can get the dealer to do 10800 truly OTD then it wouldn't be such a bad deal.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It is amazing why people would ask this question on a web site to begin with. What is too much depends on way to many factors.......
Look at what the bike's Mfg suggested retail price is for your country/area and do the math.
Some guy in one part of the US might be able to get a better price in another......based on any number of reasons.
What it comes down to is if you feel you can afford the price your paying......

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is amazing why people would ask this question on a web site to begin with...

What is too much depends on way to many factors. Look at what the bike's Mfg suggested retail price is for your country/area and do the math.
Some guy in one part of the US might be able to get a better price in another......based on any number of reasons.
+1

And yes, Torter, looking for a used '08 would likely save you a ton of money and be a good deal - though you may have to travel to find the bike you want. Generally speaking, people who buy European bikes (Triumphs, Ducs, BMW's, etc.) take good care of them. Just be patient and find a deal that works for you - new or used.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BigRedandRiding, I in fact didn't take advantage of that deal on those 2007's, looking back now I wish I would have gotten over the white S3 and taken advantage of that amazing price!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just pull the trigger... and Get The Bike! You're not dealing with a Chinese product* here. They're not gonna 'blow out' a big discount, never have. Heck, my '96 sold for more than that originally, and I'm still enjoying it. Bottom line, buy that bitchin' orange one and start enjoying it too. I'll bet in 1 week you won't even care what you paid for it. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just pull the trigger... and Get The Bike! You're not dealing with a Chinese product* here. They're not gonna 'blow out' a big discount, never have. Heck, my '96 sold for more than that originally, and I'm still enjoying it. Bottom line, buy that bitchin' orange one and start enjoying it too. I'll bet in 1 week you won't even care what you paid for it. :D
+1. Just buy the damn thing and don't fret over $500 or so dollars. If money is that tight than you shouldn't be buying it anyway. The dealers aren't going to give the things away. If you want a great deal, checkout your local Craigslist for a late model, low mileage used one. As with most new vehicles, they don't hold their value very well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts