Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Continuing optimistically to complete bodywork while looking at options regarding instruments...

Shaped the brackets to mount the LED headlight unit, finished the carbon fibre tail-light surround, mounted indicators after checking the minimum distance under Australian Design Rules (240mm lens to lens). Getting everything straight and square is making my brain hurt - actually, that may be the acetone vapours.

I'm feeling this should be a hoot to ride (one day :wink2: )

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Did you own a Gpz at one point since it’s in your name. My friends had them and the 550 was an electrical nightmare. Wouldn’t start, or would just randomly shutoff.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Is that real carbon on the tail? You got some mad fabrication skills. Looks tight.
Very kind, but I think you overestimate! I bought some 1mm carbon sheet, made a cardboard template then cut the sheet to shape with the angle grinder attachment on the Dremel. (And yes, I had a GPz1100 but didn't really connect with it)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Looks good to me. I had an Yamaha XS 1100 back in the 80s and restored it to muscle bike. Those big bore bikes back then looked tough. I would dig an 82-83 gpz 1100. They don’t handle but they do nasty long burnouts and sound the business.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The next hurdle has been overcome. Despite some solid help from the forum (thanks Tobias), cracking the canbus handshake was a bit beyond me. I think the semi-canbus nature of the ST system was the culprit. Anyway, I've sourced a compatible Keihin ECU and matching dash from a Speed Triple 1050, and finally the Wombat lives again. Starts, runs, and appears fully functional. Does anyone know the differences between the S3 and ST engines, because the tunes are quite different in timing and fuelling? The ST tune loads to the S3 ECU, but just wondering...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Kinda curious about this... you said:
...Tail unit from the lad's GSXR750...
Talking about the inside tail plastics toward the back? I've always felt the tail section on this bike was way to long, proportionally, with the length of the swing arm and front of the bike once it's naked. I've been thinking about fabricating a new tail section, or somehow adapting an S3 subframe to fit.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Kinda curious about this... you said:

Talking about the inside tail plastics toward the back? I've always felt the tail section on this bike was way to long, proportionally, with the length of the swing arm and front of the bike once it's naked. I've been thinking about fabricating a new tail section, or somehow adapting an S3 subframe to fit.
I'm keeping the pillion seating, so I've kept the subframe and rear fairing. The fender is GSXR750, and I've relocated the underseat exhaust to a low, side mount stubby. The underseat area has the tray from my old Daytona 955i so I can fit the ECU, relays and coolant overflow under the seat to tidy the electrics and hoses.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the Motodemic mount for the instrument cluster - drilled to fit the threaded holes on the ST top yoke. Slight bend to bring the instruments into my line of sight and bingo... I've run out of excuses to not start modifying the wiring loom. It's the look I was after, so I'm happy :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm no expert, but the online reading I've done in the past says that the engine blocks are the same. It's just different tunes on different ECUs to get more/less power on the S3/ST as required.

·
Registered
120 Posts
@DaveGPz , where did you get that clutch cable adjuster nut? I've seen those a few times but have been unsuccessful in finding them online the few times I've done a quick search.

Also, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to mount the gauge off the upper triple before now. I swear, looking back, I've seen it done multiple times but it didn't click for me until seeing your pics.

·
Premium Member
24,281 Posts
Looking good mate

That looks damned good Dave, well-done buddy:highfive

I know you are going to do a great job on this rebuild mate.

Dave thanks for posting up the progress, it's fun to follow and you have good taste and do nice work.

Mmm wires we are now delving into the area for me at least that remains a mystery of a dark science............electrickery!

good luck friend
Cheers
DaveM:smile2:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Also, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to mount the gauge off the upper triple before now. I swear, looking back, I've seen it done multiple times but it didn't click for me until seeing your pics.
It was largely because I wanted to mount the headlight close to the forks, and there wasn't enough clearance to readily mount the dash to the headstock.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
After a solid 2 1/2 days, the wiring harness is done. Extended the loom to the ECU (painstaking cut/splice/solder/heatshrink all 43 wires), shortened the stator cables, mounted the relays inside the left frame, wired in all the lights, put the tank on, took the tank off, put the battery in, put the tank on, pressed the button and... she started first kick and everything seemed to work. Next up... time for a test ride, and to see what the speedo calibration is like. I'll need to do something about the clunky old front fender one day, and the plan is to braid all the exposed hoses.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 64 Posts