Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I just bought a '06 speed triple 1050 and Im having a little trouble with it. The bike ran great for the test ride, and I have started it without a problem a few times since and it ran great, until yesterday.... After tinkering with the handle bars and controls getting it set up the way I wanted, I tried to start it again. It started and ran a little rough so I killed it. I opened the fuel cap and noticed there was some water around the rim, and also realized there wasn't much gas in the tank. It was getting late so I called it a night. Came back to it today and added maybe a tablespoon of dry gas and a gallon of high test. Tried starting it a few times and it fired but only a revolution or two then it quit. I noticed a greenish liquid coming from the tank drain so I took the tank off, turned the motor over a few times to clear the lines. I noticed more of this greenish liquid (almost the color of anti-freeze) around the rim of the tank. stuck a paper towel in the tank and it came out the color that high test should. the greenish liquid is flamable so I'm guessing it is just gas mixed with some weird buildup in the drain line. after doing my best to clean everything out, I put the tank back on hooked it up and tried to start it with no luck. Is it possible that I fouled the plugs from trying to start it so much? also any ideas of what the greenish liquid could be? I'm not real familiar with fuel injected motors so is there something else that I am missing, do I need to prime the fuel lines or should the pump take car of that? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's what little advice I can offer.... Clean plugs and regap, my 06 has been running rich after I installed aftermarket exhaust and got the "proper" tune from the dealer. Cleaning and regapping the plugs will hopefully get it to fire up for ya. Do you have after market exhaust on it? I'm sure someone else will chime in and be of much more assistance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Check your plugs and air filter FIRST!!! Then.....If you got water in your injection system...it may take alot of turning the engine over before you get the water out and start spraying clean gas out of the nozzels. I would make sure you have a good battery, and let it turn over a while, stopping every 2-3 seconds or so. If you repeat this 10-15 times and still no start, id take it to a mechanic. If the engine starts, but runs rough....let it run. It may clear up. As long as the engine is turning on its own, and your oil is pumping, you're probably not damaging anything. I cant think of anything that would let anti-freeze get into the tank. If it was anti-freeze, you could distinctly smell it through the gas. Some ethanol fuels have a greenish tint to them, and ethanol is hydroscopic, which means it WILL pull water from the atmosphere!!!......uh, yeah...thats all I got. Im going to bed!:p

·
Registered
848 Posts
Some fuel stabilizers are green, like this one. The green stuff could have been gas with a high concentration of fuel stablilizer. Like others have eluded to, I'd just put the battery on a tender and replace the plugs and then go from there. G'luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys.....changed the plugs and she started right up. unfortunatly it's supposed to snow here tomorrow, so i'll have to wait another few days for my first real ride. Real excited about it and I'll be sure to post some pictures soon. Anyone know the torque specs for the spark plugs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts