Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had to sell my thunderbird sport last summer due to financial reasons (i was broke). i'm now just a couple of months away from being able to buy the bike i always wanted, a speed triple. all this time i've been keeping my eye on the prices of the 955i but i've recently checked out the 1050 and see that it's possible to pick up an early 1050 for a similar price of a 955i. i love the look of both so, which one should i go for????????

·
Registered
936 Posts
i had to sell my thunderbird sport last summer due to financial reasons (i was broke). i'm now just a couple of months away from being able to buy the bike i always wanted, a speed triple. all this time i've been keeping my eye on the prices of the 955i but i've recently checked out the 1050 and see that it's possible to pick up an early 1050 for a similar price of a 955i. i love the look of both so, which one should i go for????????
I've had both, And both are terrific machines, In all honesty there isn't that much between them in the real world HP stakes, a good rider on a 955 will beat a bad rider on a 1050 and visa versa. All depends on what body style you like best, I personally love the 02-04 but I also like the stumpy ass as well, I'd go with the best deal you can get at the time!! Both machines will put a grin on your face and take you into licence losing territory in the blink of an eye!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Both are very close to each other.

I believe that the frame on the 1050 is stiffer than the 955. This really becomes noticable if you start pushing the bike with some good sticky rubber mounted. The bike will exibit kind of a weave at higher speeds and lean angles. You have to start pushing it to get there though.

The 1050 also runs a 180/55 series rear tire versus the 955's 190/50. Taller narrower tire will help with the turn in. Luckly there are plenty of tire manufacture now that make a 190/55 which noticably helps with the hadling, but it will throw your speedometer and odometer off.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The 955 has significant storage area in the tail section.
Very handy!
56,000 miles on my '03, no issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
03 Speed Triple owner. I might be bias,but I doubt very much you will be able to tell the difference between a 1050 and a 955i. I'm looking at this from a street riding perspective. I live in North Atlanta and we ride the mountains quite a bit. Now it might be different in the track. I honestly cannot tell you what the difference is in the track, I ride a 996 when I do track days.

But for the price that you can get a 05 1050, you can get a great bike. The 1050s look bad as hell. I'd say get the newest bike you can afford.

Attached are pics of my 03

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
The 1050 will pull a vertical wheely, effortlessly, in 2nd gear at 40mph-80mph and in the right conditions can be wheelied in 3rd gear at speeds up to 100mph, with standard pipes and gearing. Try doing that on a 955 and see how far you get...

The Speed Triple 955 was a Sprint ST/Daytona without the plastic. It was basically a 'detuned' Daytona and a 'spin off' rather than a specifically designed bike.

The 1050 was a totally purpose built naked bike in it`s own right, when it came out in late 04, it was better equipped than ANY other Triumph, with unique geometry, radial brakes, u/s forks, is quicker steering, quicker stopping, lighter in weight, quicker accelerating, had more torque and horsepower and more suspension adjustment, than it`s predecessor. It was (and is) also higher powered than ANY other Triumph 1050`s, like the Sprint and the Tiger. The change from 955 to 1050 was also the change from the underpowered 'bitsa-bike' poor cousin naked, to the dedicated top of the range Triumph performance bike.

Before the death threats start arriving, I`d just like to say, the 955 motor is great, bulletproof and grunty and the 955 S3 is still a great bike. IMHO though, it`s 'old hat' I have owned 3 of them but remember dudes, you are buying something that came out in 1999 and even back then, it was basically just an efi version of a motor that came out in 1995 and it hasn`t aged any better than all the other 10+ year old litre bikes.

The 1050 motor is still the duck`s nuts and will still cut it with the Jap litre nakeds and the 1050 suspension might need a few tweaks but the chassis and geometry is spot on.

I am biased, of course!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Either bike is groovy. It really depends on what you want to do. Ride in the city, mountains, or track.

Great story:

My buddy and I were riding up the Georgia mountains at a pretty good pace; I'm on my S3 and he on his Monster S4R. We get schooled by some old timey BMW with tires that are about 4 inches wide and they were riding 2 up. I mean SCHOOLED!!! We get to Blood Mountain rest stop and the BMW was there. I kid you not, helmet comes off and it's a 60'sh year old lady with another 60'sh year old lady. Dude, our jaws drop. They were the nicest ladies and said they had a blast riding with us......more like playing with us. Anyway we ride to TWO via route 180 (riders form Georgia will know this crazy F**K road). Twisty and tight as hell. A dude in a GSXR passes us and the ladies go and school his ass too.

We get to TWO and it turns out that she is very well known. A bunch of folks where asking us if we were trying to keep up with her. It's like are you nuts.....we would have crashed. Turns out some dude was trying the same thing the day before and he did crash....luckily he was ok. She was an ex WERA racer.

Anyway, moral of the story.....it's not the bike. Buy the best bike you can afford with enough money leftover for some proper gear and take a riding class.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah speaking of storage, on the 1050, well there isn't any. Of course you can always get panniers or a tank bag, or a small back pack for small stuff, but there literally is nothing under that seat due to stock under seat exhaust and stubby tail.

For me I went with the 1050 just because it was a newer, more modern machine. Do keep in mind the chassis is very much the same on the 955, it just doesn't have as good suspension components and brakes. The 1050 motor from my understanding is a bored out 955? You probably either like the 1050's stubby tail and stylish wheels or the classic 3 spokes and longer tail of the 955.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
For me I went with the 1050 just because it was a newer, more modern machine. Do keep in mind the chassis is very much the same on the 955, it just doesn't have as good suspension components and brakes.
Yes, I think welshrob might have overstated the "new purpose built" part above a bit.

1050s are still the same in their core as the 90s bikes were. Same frame. Same fundamental engine design. Sprinkled with minor upgrades.

The 1050 motor from my understanding is a bored out 955?
The 1050 is a stroked 955. So in essence the same lump, just with a longer stroke which results in a bit more low end grunt.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Yes, I think welshrob might have overstated the "new purpose built" part above a bit.

1050s are still the same in their core as the 90s bikes were. Same frame. Same fundamental engine design. Sprinkled with minor upgrades.
The 1050 is a stroked 955. So in essence the same lump, just with a longer stroke which results in a bit more low end grunt.
Yes,my whole rant was quite inaccurate, overstated and a bit OTT but in my defence, I had half a bottle of rum in me at the time! :D

I`m sober at the moment, so I`ll try and be a little more sensible. I`ll leave the rant up, to help remind me what a dickhead I can be at times! :eek:

IMHO, the 2 bikes ride very differently and you need to ride each one to make your mind up. I had ridden several 955 S3`s and they were fine, nice bikes but hardly felt any different to the 04 955 Sprint I owned at the time, just a little lighter and a more upright riding position and a bit slower to get to top end (probably aerodynamics) than my Sprint.

I wasn`t even looking to buy another bike but the local dealer offered me a demo 1050 Speed Triple for the weekend. After a day and a half on it, I spent sunday evening ringing around to see if I could raise the money as it was a MUST HAVE bike. I put a deposit on a black one, 1st thing monday morning. I`ve now owned it for 2 years and 45,000 trouble free km`s.

I have 04 and 07 sales brochures in front of me and its baffling as to why the 2 bikes feel so different, length, wheelbase, rake and trail and nearly every other physical dimension is the same. It also has, like I said USD forks but the 1050 just seems to handle and steer like a totally different bike.

The 1050`s got an extra (quoted) 14hp at the crank and 3.5 ft lbs of torque. You wouldn`t have thought it would make that much difference?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes,my whole rant was quite inaccurate, overstated and a bit OTT but in my defence, I had half a bottle of rum in me at the time! :D

I`m sober at the moment, so I`ll try and be a little more sensible. I`ll leave the rant up, to help remind me what a dickhead I can be at times! :eek:

IMHO, the 2 bikes ride very differently and you need to ride each one to make your mind up. I had ridden several 955 S3`s and they were fine, nice bikes but hardly felt any different to the 04 955 Sprint I owned at the time, just a little lighter and a more upright riding position and a bit slower to get to top end (probably aerodynamics) than my Sprint.

I wasn`t even looking to buy another bike but the local dealer offered me a demo 1050 Speed Triple for the weekend. After a day and a half on it, I spent sunday evening ringing around to see if I could raise the money as it was a MUST HAVE bike. I put a deposit on a black one, 1st thing monday morning. I`ve now owned it for 2 years and 45,000 trouble free km`s.

I have 04 and 07 sales brochures in front of me and its baffling as to why the 2 bikes feel so different, length, wheelbase, rake and trail and nearly every other physical dimension is the same. It also has, like I said USD forks but the 1050 just seems to handle and steer like a totally different bike.

The 1050`s got an extra (quoted) 14hp at the crank and 3.5 ft lbs of torque. You wouldn`t have thought it would make that much difference?
The reasoning may not just be the maximum hp gain. I have a feeling the 1050 has much greater gains in certain revs (lets say 20-30 hp more) but because its not at the max hp point your not seeing it in that brochure.

edit: I searched for some dyno's and came up with a 955i with i believe tuneboy and exhaust:

heres a 1050 with mivv and i assume a tune of some sort:
http://www.carpimoto.com/Images/Products/pdf/T005.pdf

from these you'll notice spots on the 955 which aren't exactly smooth, but regardless at 6000 rpm for example:
955 about 60 ft lbs and 68 hp
1050 about 71 ft lbs and 87 hp. (I converted the nm to ft lbs).

Other dynos may prove the point better (especially stock vs stock) but either way you can see from my example about 20 hp and 11 ft lb difference at a spot which isn't the max hp and tq level. At the max levels theres only a 7 hp and 7 ft lb difference so looking at it that way (which most do) shows a much smaller difference. In other words your feeling greater gains because they're there, you just need to look at other spots on the dyno to understand why.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think something got a bit funky in the above calculations, because the 1050 hp appears to be overstated. Remembering that hp on a dyno is calculated rather than directly measured:

For the 955: if torque is 60 ft/lbs @ 6000 rpm, then hp is (60 ft/lbs x 6000 rpm / 5252) 68.5 hp

For the 1050: if torque is 71 ft/lbs @ 6000 rpm, then hp is (71 ft/lbs x 6000 rpm / 5252) 81.1 hp

Then again, it could just be my Canadian calculator (made in China, of course). Effin metric system!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I brought a 07 new and had it for 6 months. Did'nt gel with it, don't know why. It went well, did all what everyone says, but something about it, maybe the stubbiness of the rear, I really don't know.
Found I was riding my Ducati more.
Sold the Speedy.

A few months later thought something's not right, so brought one of the very last 04 955 Speedys.
It all fell into place, I'm totally in sync with it, can ride real hard, can keep up or better some of my riding mates on near new Gixxer thous.
Everytime I hop off it I feel great.
Everytime I hopped off the 07 I felt ok, but not as good as I do now.

So from my point of view, my heart says I like the 955 more, but logic says the 1050 should be better, and prob is.........I guess its down to each person's own point of view.

I probably will buy a 1050 in the future, but when, dunno.
Or why, dunno.......

Have a 4cyl older Daytona and thats awesome too, so at the end of the day I guess, its Triumphs, its all good..........

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can't speak to the 1050 Speedy, but I bought a 1050 Sprint and *hated it*.

I'm sticking with my '04 for now. She's getting some new bling (fender eliminator, Pazzo levers, LSL fat bar) and anti-bling (sprayed with black Line-X) which should make her even more irresistably ugly. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've had both, And both are terrific machines, In all honesty there isn't that much between them in the real world HP stakes, a good rider on a 955 will beat a bad rider on a 1050 and visa versa. ...... Both machines will put a grin on your face and take you into licence losing territory in the blink of an eye!!!!
all that is said is true, I had an 03 silver 955i and now the jet black 1050 mk2...but for me the 955 injection was awful, stalled at low speeds a number of times, the 1050 is a rocket and is for me the superior machine, and worth buying just for the brembos...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts