Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently test rode the new Tiger demonstrator at Windy Corner. My Impressions:-

The new 1050 felt so light compared with my Tiger 955i, both when wheeling it around and riding it. The new Tiger is slimmer as well, the C of G is much lower. The engine is very revy and the new Tiger is quick. Top gear roll-ons are impressively fast. There is less flywheel so riding in town is a little jerky. I had wheel spin twice accelerating hard on damp roads were my 955i would not have spun the BT010. The front brake is awesome. Clearly a whole generation better with floating disks and radial calipers. The seat is wide and comfy, a bit hard after my gel seat. I could just about get my heels down, about the same as my lowered 955i. This bike is clearly more Supermoto than Traillie, you tend to sit on it not in it. The suspension is firmer and the steering is quicker. You could go into a corner way too fast and worry less about getting round than my 2003 Tiger (Both bikes would still make it! Less drama on the new one). The screen is OK. It will tour and I would have no problem riding to the South of France and back with a few Trails on the way. I found the instruments are harder to read and well below the sight line. I like the MPG option, max speed etc but I dislike not having an analogue Speedo.

Overall I really liked the new Tiger and I will upgrade to one. But I am in no rush to do so. For a shorter rider like me this new bike is much more manageable. I rode my 2003 Tiger 955i immediately afterwards and it is still a great bike. The engine is smoother and it soaks up bumps better. The steering is slower and the old Tiger felt really stable and planted (which I like). I did not feel in any way disappointed or let down to be on my old Tiger. These bikes are so different I could own both if I had the cash. I emailed Thunderbike in NZ and they hope to be making crash bars available in

I also test road a KTM 990 Adventure the same week as it is the only bike I would consider buying in place of the Tiger. I've owned three KTM 300 EXC Enduro bikes and I loved them to bits. The 990 offers good handling, brakes, gearbox etc. Cool Adventure looks. I liked the V-Twin under acceleration. The engine must have a very short stroke as it revs to 9,500. The complete lack of flywheel and poor low speed fuelling were it's biggest let down. I stalled it twice. At 30, 40, 50 or even 60 mph on a steady throttle it rides like a bad tempered RD350 2 stroke. On-off-on-off-on-on-on-off-off etc..... Cruising round back country lanes was not particularly pleasant unless you gas it all the time. It was relief to get back on my 955i. The Triumph Triple engine is so sweet and so sophisticated by comparison. The Adventure is better than a BMW 1200GS (or 'Panzer Half Track' as I refer to them). I would much prefer the Tiger to own and ride. The KTM Suspension is better off road but the engine fuelling is bad. The explains why I have had no trouble keeping up with Adventures off road.

·
Registered
93 Posts
adrianmol

Thanks for the post and review.
You certainly are making me feel really, really good about the 06 Tiger (used for 1500 miles and traded on a Harley by someone) that I'm picking up this Friday.
Also, love your web page. Great info for a newbie like me to the Triumph and Tiger.
Kind regards. :-D

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote: I also test road a KTM 990 Adventure the same week as it is the only bike I would consider buying in place of the Tiger.
<BR>
<BR>but then....
<BR>
<BR>Quote: It was relief to get back on my 955i. The Triumph Triple engine is so sweet and so sophisticated by comparison.
<BR>I would much prefer the Tiger to own and ride. The KTM Suspension is better off road but the engine fuelling is bad.
<BR>
<BR>phew, you had me worried for a moment. :-D
<BR>
<BR>Tiger #1
<BR>
<BR>ps just checked out your website. Most impressed. Very detailed. Well done. :clap:

[ This message was edited by: zadok_oz on 2007-01-24 19:34 ]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice review,
but as a 955 owner, having ridden the KTM Adventure, one can draw a different conclusion. It is of course what one wants to hear.

I guess this forum will agree with me that there is indeed no better engine than the Triumph triple. But in my humble opinion the KTM also has a nice one, and the Austrian twin revs so happily, that even the triple seems slow.

But some 100 hp is enough for adventure-bikes, plenty of power is just plenty of power. (Torque on the other hand is always welcome.) Both the triple and KTM's twin provide enough power to have fun everywhere.

Another matter is the throttle response. A lot of people are complaining about the on-off. A KTM-dealer told me that he sold 60 Adventures last year, but that he could have doubled it if the throttle of the Adventure 990 wasnt so nervous. (KTM doesnt have that much experience with fuel injection than Triumph, and it shows.) But there are enough things one can do to make it softer.

And, again in my humble opinion, having ridden the KTM extensively, it is only a big matter off road. And that is where the old Tiger didnt excel, and the new one will not growl either.

So for me, who likes to play around off road too, the KTM still prevails.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I rode my 2003 Tiger 955i immediately afterwards and it is still a great bike. The engine is smoother and it soaks up bumps better. The steering is slower and the old Tiger felt really stable and planted (which I like).
I'm interested inyour comment about the engine being smoother in your old Tiger. Would the new one get better as it gets run in or is it just not as smooth.

Also interest in your comments re suspension

Cheers

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think the the 1050 Tiger would make the perfect bike for me. But as I would have to add £1600 of extras to bring it up to spec on my 2005 955 I am about to buy a 2nd hand S3 955 which I reckon will cost about the same when the resale/devaluation is taken into account. Besides not all the accessories I have will be available for the new Tiger just yet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Advwannabe asked -
<BR>I'm interested inyour comment about the engine being smoother in your old Tiger. Would the new one get better as it gets run in or is it just not as smooth.
<BR>
<BR>Also interest in your comments re suspension

<BR>
<BR>Maybe it is my use of english. The Tiger 1050 engine is smooth and has no vibration. however I felt there was much less engine flywheel so riding around on & off throttle it felt a bit jerky whereas the 955 engine has a larger fywheel and responds more smoothly. The KTM 990 is so much worse than both.
<BR>

[ This message was edited by: adrianmol on 2007-01-25 15:09 ]

·
Registered
191 Posts
What a great comparison and comments. When new machinery comes out, it often is easy to be swayed to '...the new is better...' , your experience is valuable to us all.

I also tested a KTM Adventure and found it neat to ride but needed some rpm from a stop or a low speeds to avoid lugging and the associated driveline snatch-i-ness. My test was too short to form conclusions other than I would try one again to get more concrete opinions.

One aspect of the current Tiger (up to 06) is it injects pretty clean, my 03 can be brought down to 1600 RPM in 6th gear and accellerated without a stumble to about 2500 where useable power begins. There are not many machines that will do this.

Decades back, a roadtest for cars, to try that illustrates engine flexibility, was to slow down in top gear to 1000 rpm and then time acceleration to a given speed.

For street bikes torque is a great attribute, something that V-Twin riders are attracted to.

I have not tried a Ducati Multistada and would like impressions from others on how it feels in conjunction with everyday reliability. 2007's have a 1100 engine like the Tiger.

I need to get out and test a new Tiger and see what all the excitement is about. I just hope I don't come home look'in for what to sell to put the bucks together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts