Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day all,

I’ve been around here a while on a few different Triumphs, big fan of the triples, current ride is a 2004 Sprint RS which as I continue to work (spend money) on it, is turning into a great all rounder but ..... yesterday I was picking up some oil and filter from a local shop and a red ‘16 Tiger Sport caught my eye, complete with colour matched panniers and only 33,000klms.

So I did a bit of reading and it seems these things are the business as a true all round, all day machine.

Any Tiger Sport owners here care to give their impressions on their bikes? What about all the gadgetry?

I’m really tempted

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a pre-Sport Tiger 1050 SE and thought it to be an awesome, all-day bike. I did have it fitted with Ohlins rear and ReacTech front, which improved handling considerably.

The only, and seriously only, drawback for me was the height, especially with the upspec suspension. If the bike didn’t have me on top toes, it would still be in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been looking at the SE too, some great low mileage examples here .. I think I need to ride one

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've had 955 Sprint RS, 955 Daytona, 955 Speed Triple, 675 Street Triple, 1050 Speed Triple. Then I reached my mid 60's, the age I thought you had to be to ride a Tiger 1050. Bought one. Should've been Triumphs best iteration of it's wonderful 955/1050 triple engine. Not for me though, went back to a Speed Triple (an '06 955 Speedtona to be exact) after about 15 months.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Although my 1050 SE was the bike I put the most miles on in a single year (and did so without taking any long trips - I was on it all the time), the Sport seems to have addressed some key issues.

The headlights on the SE generation were so bad it was nearly criminal. I had the Sport headlights retro fit, which made a world of difference.

The SE generation side cases were quite small. The woman I rode two up with at the time and I were on the same level when it came to packing light, so we made it work for weekend trips, but I know of a few other owners who moved to a shorty Remus and a custom exhaust side rack to get two full size panniers on the bike. The Sport has much larger side cases.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although my 1050 SE was the bike I put the most miles on in a single year (and did so without taking any long trips - I was on it all the time), the Sport seems to have addressed some key issues.

The headlights on the SE generation were so bad it was nearly criminal. I had the Sport headlights retro fit, which made a world of difference.

The SE generation side cases were quite small. The woman I rode two up with at the time and I were on the same level when it came to packing light, so we made it work for weekend trips, but I know of a few other owners who moved to a shorty Remus and a custom exhaust side rack to get two full size panniers on the bike. The Sport has much larger side cases.

Your experience really sways me back to the Sport because I do a lot of night riding and I would be doing some trips away two up. There are quite a for sale here with the panniers too ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2010 Tiger. I enjoy farkeling the bike so added fog lights to make myself visible, turn signals to LEDs, progressive suspension front, Wilbur rear, and many small changes. Added a voltmeter, cigarette lighter plug, improved the hand guards. Front screen bought an adaptor to create a gap that I can angle to eliminate head buffeting.
You could buy the tiger 1050 and with change leftover from all the farkeling probably save 10k and you have a customised bike.

The triple engine is the heart...the rest needs fiddling to make it perfect.
Esp suspension, lights. But easily fixed.

Or you buy the sport already done up for you...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2010 Tiger. I enjoy farkeling the bike so added fog lights to make myself visible, turn signals to LEDs, progressive suspension front, Wilbur rear, and many small changes. Added a voltmeter, cigarette lighter plug, improved the hand guards. Front screen bought an adaptor to create a gap that I can angle to eliminate head buffeting.
You could buy the tiger 1050 and with change leftover from all the farkeling probably save 10k and you have a customised bike.

The triple engine is the heart...the rest needs fiddling to make it perfect.
Esp suspension, lights. But easily fixed.

Or you buy the sport already done up for you...

Also - very versatile - comfortable seat for all day riding, leave in a higher gear and use the torque, or when you are feeling ‘excitable’ Rev the **** out of it and ride aggressive. Valves only need checking every 20k. The rest you can do yourself (oil changes).
I have run it 6 hours into Germany and ran 266 Kmh in the auto bahn, then 30 kmh through German villages by the Rhine. Cornering ability is v good, but the size of the bike and triple (less engine braking compared with twins - I have a bmw 1150r that’s easier to ride) means it works best with a touch of trail braking to shorten the wheelbase and then flip it to the apex.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also - very versatile - comfortable seat for all day riding, leave in a higher gear and use the torque, or when you are feeling ‘excitable’ Rev the **** out of it and ride aggressive. Valves only need checking every 20k. The rest you can do yourself (oil changes).
I have run it 6 hours into Germany and ran 266 Kmh in the auto bahn, then 30 kmh through German villages by the Rhine. Cornering ability is v good, but the size of the bike and triple (less engine braking compared with twins - I have a bmw 1150r that’s easier to ride) means it works best with a touch of trail braking to shorten the wheelbase and then flip it to the apex.

Sorry - 20,000 km between valve adjustments ; too sped I reached was 233 km/ hour. (266 was the car)

·
Registered
3 Posts
G’day all,

I’ve been around here a while on a few different Triumphs, big fan of the triples, current ride is a 2004 Sprint RS which as I continue to work (spend money) on it, is turning into a great all rounder but ..... yesterday I was picking up some oil and filter from a local shop and a red ‘16 Tiger Sport caught my eye, complete with colour matched panniers and only 33,000klms.

So I did a bit of reading and it seems these things are the business as a true all round, all day machine.

Any Tiger Sport owners here care to give their impressions on their bikes? What about all the gadgetry?

I’m really tempted

Cheers,

Roden
Gidday Rosen. I am on my 3rd Riger Sports and the new one is a 2019 Sports. An amazing upgrade from e previous 1050 with over 100 kids to the engine alone. Best bit ? The spin of the engine. Amazing. I firmed up the front suspension preload by two rings on the fork which was a good move. At 186cm (6ft 1in) and 110kg (230lb) it rides better already. The engine mapping is terrific and the move to rabbit mode is very noticeable and enjoyable. All round I love it. My fang bike with my 2016 Indian vintage next to it.
ya just can’t go wrong.
Enjoy! Brett

1 - 12 of 12 Posts