Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1050 ST, quality good or bad ?

I have at present a 2007 Speed Triple, and due to a never ending stream of quality issues with Paint peeling off yokes, water ingress in clocks and now paint peeling off the block, I am at my wits end, Triumph UK despite the dealer backing me up have said its external influences and despite lavishing this bike with every product known to man its suffered, I ride every day to work no matter what the weather, so what I want to know from you guys " does the ST fair any better", or is it a case of buy a Triumph and put up with poor finish. :(

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I am not sure as whether mine is because of the year (2003) but I have had no issues whatsoever.

Paint is excellent and I never wash my bike, I ride in the rain and do not have a problem with water in the dials (mine is digital), there is no corrosion at all but I live in a warm climate (no salt on the roads).

The S3's that I have seen here in Brisbane have always been pretty good and a personally know a few riders here that have not had any issues with their Speedies.

They are IMO a great bike and I would have one if I didn't need 2 up capabilities and could take a pillion that didn't require more than a postage stamp to sit on!

What have Triumph said/done about your problems?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

I have at present a 2007 Speed Triple, and due to a never ending stream of quality issues with Paint peeling off yokes, water ingress in clocks and now paint peeling off the block, I am at my wits end, Triumph UK despite the dealer backing me up have said its external influences and despite lavishing this bike with every product known to man its suffered, I ride every day to work no matter what the weather, so what I want to know from you guys " does the ST fair any better", or is it a case of buy a Triumph and put up with poor finish. :(
Sprint has terrible quality, tell you what, buy me another Sprint and I'll take care of her and see if any of these issues come up, I'll let you handle the payments, I'll handle the "quality issues".

Seriously though I've never had any peeling of any kind on the paint, only rubbing scratches from my knees which is easily remedied by the tank slapper.

--Kory

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Rubbish, they belong in the bin :)

Seriously, Mine had 31,000kms on it and was an 05 and it could sit on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an '07 Speed Triple now and before that an '05 Sprint, I think the quality of both are about the same. I haven't had any serious issues at all, only little things like small rubber bits disintegrating. No paint issues at all.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
'08 Sprint here. Paint is very good. Overall quality of components is good. Assembly quality and fit is poor. So far, one item not attached, two fasteners cross-threaded and left far from fully seated, tank touches side panels wearing off paint, seat gaps are inconsistent side-to-side and top to bottom. No breakdowns or warranty claim issues, just crappy assembly. As mentioned in a different post, it looks like the factory workers had a few too many pints at lunchtime.

So in a nutshell, I'd say overall quality is poor, entertainment factor is high!

·
Registered
150 Posts
08 Sprint as well.
I think the quality of the paint in probably the best Ive had on any bike. With proper care I'd expect it to last a very long time.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
06 junker

I wish the junk was confined to paint-lemme tell you about a Sprint ST ABS I know ----how about a broken cam chain caused by improper assembly at the factory-spacers left out - chain was not aligned and grinding on the engine covers/cases-it broke. Then a set of throttle bodies that were defective from day one-flown over from England and installed -how about a stepper motor replaced as defective -? Now the ECU as blown -bike is down AGAIN -will not run . Has been serviced by dealers and taken care of as specified. This one is a piece of shat. Bad boy blue built on a Friday afternoon? This is absolutely the worst motorcycle I have ever come across and I have owned approx 40 of them -all makes and models. CAN YOU SAY LEMON? Can you say LEMON LAW?
Triumph is looking at a real situation here. This bike has been in the shop more than on the road the past year---too bad really because I have (sold one) 2 other triples and no problems really. Love the bikes but this one is not any good at all and needs to be replaced. Quickly.Triumph has taken an inordinate amount of time to address these warranty issues and left the owner without his ride for long periods of time. Not a good way to do business unless you dont give a darn about your customers......How about it Triumph??
More later

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had to get rid of my speed triple cause I road the thing to dam fast, and I knew eventually the paint would start to peal off so I sold it right away.:p

On the serious side are you the original owner? Do you know what has been used to clean the bike in the past?

From the factory I could see a problem with the paint or maybe the powder coating but is hard for me to fathom issues with both unless it was exposed to some sort of chemical after manufacturing.

Sticks

PS. I've been very happy with the the quality of both my Speedy and the Sprint.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
'04 Sprint ST here

61,000kms of very hard riding often two up.

Paint is very good general condition of all parts including engine all very good.

And ditto what steventhchef said, I know some of the same guys with S3's here and they are all good too.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
472 Posts

Had my 08 since october last year [ second owner]. No real issues despite all the salt we've had to deal with here in the UK. However, i always [and i mean always] hose it down when i get home with cold water. This isnt a cosmetic wash, its just to get of any salt as best i can. Comes up like new when washed properly which i do every week or two. Did you consider an anti corrosive treatment like ACF50 applied under high pressure? www.allyearbiker.co.uk
seems well worth the money.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Triumph Quality

I've had several triumphs a 900 trident, an aircooled sprint sport ,a 955 sprint RS and now a 1050 Sprint ST. None of the previous ones had any problems at all and I was very happy with them.

The 1050 needed a new rear brake light (done under warranty without any hassle) and I have noticed once some condensation in one of the instrument panels ie the RH one showing temp, fuel etc which has now disappeared, the condensation that is - not the instrument panel!

That's it so far, no paint or engine problems. Unfortunately it sounds like 1050ky & hivel may have got rogue ones...:(

Hope Triumph see their way to doing something about it for them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the serious side are you the original owner? Do you know what has been used to clean the bike in the past?
Bought it new, after every wet ride it is washed and dried, I use FS365, motorex silicone spray, ACF50, simoniz wash polish, I am a mature rider and have had dozens of bikes over the years, I have rebuilt my old GT750 and believe me it takes some looking after when you ride them regularly in this climate, my Speedy has done six thousand miles in all weathers and it could not have been looked after any better unless I had never ridden it in the wet. I just find it pretty shabby that I pay £8k for a bike, look after it like you wouldnt believe and it still ends up having 6 upheld quality issues and now another in 15 months :(

Thought maybe the ST might fair a little better :confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been to see my dealer, and they were very sympathetic to my problem, they as a dealer (not Triumph UK) are going to take the bike in, grind off all the crud, repaint the area and fit me a fender extender all free of Charge, so its a big :ClapHappy: to Philip Youle and staff.

So thanks to all for the comments and kind words and its back to the Speedy forum now :), have to say I was tempted by a new Phantom Black ST :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have been to see my dealer, and they were very sympathetic to my problem, they as a dealer (not Triumph UK) are going to take the bike in, grind off all the crud, repaint the area and fit me a fender extender all free of Charge, so its a big :ClapHappy: to Philip Youle and staff.

So thanks to all for the comments and kind words and its back to the Speedy forum now :), have to say I was tempted by a new Phantom Black ST :)
Result!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.