Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the early 1050 ST’s stock muffler is less restrictive and louder than the later ones (in my case a 2008)?

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Does anyone know if the early 1050 ST’s stock muffler is less restrictive and louder than the later ones (in my case a 2008)?
From memory I believe the muffler itself was the same. Differences were in the header and location of the pre-cat. I think the header on later bikes is longer - but I could be wrong on that. Also, up to 2008, the pre-cat was located in the header while on later bikes there was a bulge in the mid-pipe for the precat.

Be aware though, that the bulge in the mid-pipe doesn't necessarily mean there's pre-cat material in there - that bulge was still there but empty on bikes without pre-cat. This is particularly true for Aus bikes. Generally, they did not have the catalytic converter and pre-cat but some bikes built for other markets did go to Aus with that emissions equipment installed.

BTW - that's a nice bike you bought. Looked at the pics when you first posted - looks great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Champ. Definitely no cat or even a bludge on my one.
Just too quiet for my liking.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have done a couple of "boat anchor" mods to these mufflers and am currently running one on my bike. I've had Tridents & TOR.
The modified stock muffler sounds great, a bit quieter than the TOR, much quieter than Trident and gave the best torque performance on the dyno.
I have a 3rd one in my shed somewhere that I have cut open & gutted but not re-plumbed if someone is interested in finishing the project.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of going the same was Sussurf.
Not many options for these bikes now.
I’d be interested on seeing a picture of what’s inside them before I start cutting though.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Trident and Staintune both list exhausts for the 1050 ST on their websites.

Trident:"New for 2020 we have added a stainless slash cut option. The price quoted is for a full kit of three carbon or stainless cans and the connecting pipe and fittings."

Staintune: "TR MS ST 1050 2005 onwards Triumph Sprint ST 05 Twin Under Seat Sports race mufflers Removable Restrictor "

My first Sprint had the TOR, the second came with the Staintune, but now has the Trident. The trident is deeper/louder than the staintune which to my ears sounded high pitched. The staintune was also a double can arrangement which looked a little misplaced sitting inside the opening. Im happy with the Trident although the slash-cut ends tend to collect a lot of exhaust residue. The new stainless cans look interesting, they look a bit like the D&D ones did/do.

I also occasionally see TOR cans on ebay, especially when looking at the sites wrecking Sprints.

Cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Keef.
A second hand TOR can would be my best choice.
The Staintunes are priced at AU$1400, too rich for me.
They list the Dominator R single can at AU$425 on eBay, just not sure how loud it would be.
I've been looking on eBay for used cans but no luck yet.
How can you tell if you're looking at a TOR muffler?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Externally they look identical. However on the underside will be a stamped-in label which includes the part number and the compliance statement.

The standard muffler part number is: 2204760 for most countries or 2204750 for AUS/NZ/HK/ZA.

The TOR can number is: A9600145 and its compliance statement is actually a disclaimer that it is not EPA compliant and is designed for "closed circuit competition use only" and in big letters across the bottom it states: "NOT FOR ROAD USE".

However, the labels are positioned so that they catch a lot of road grime, chain wax, dust mud, etc etc and 'unfortunately' they soon look much the same unless you're really dedicated and want to read it badly.
Since the biggest lettering says "TRIUMPH" followed by a part number... some people might assume its a standard part and not be bothered reading the rest.

cheers, Keef

1 - 9 of 9 Posts