Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've been lurking around here for a while but haven't said much until now. I'm almost ready to buy a 2005+ Speed Triple (and probably would if I could find a used one), but I'm still considering a new FZ1 instead. I read an older thread comparing these two bikes, but it seemed like almost nobody had any real riding time on the new FZ1 then. Does anybody have any experience on one now that can compare the two?

I know a lot of you don't like the looks of the FZ1, but you can bet I'm not going to make my decision based on that anyway. The S3 is probably the best looking motorcycle on the market right now, but I personally think the FZ1 looks pretty sexy from the side too.

I took the S3 on a short test drive, and I was really impressed with the handling. I haven't gotten the chance to ride the FZ1, so I'd REALLY like to hear from someone that has to compare.

One of the big advantages of the Yamaha to me is how easy it is to find a dealer... meaning it's easy to find a place to get parts when something breaks on the road. I also trust their reliability a bit more from the start. Any comments on newer Triumph reliability from you guys with experience? I also have an absolutely unbeatable relationship with my home Yamaha dealer. My home Triumph dealer doesn't know***** about his own motorcycles and doesn't seem too interested in having me as a customer. (I'll definitely be traveling to another dealership to buy if I decide to go new.)

So basically there are a bunch of advantages stacked up for the Yamaha, but something just draws me to the S3 anyway. Maybe it's the personality. Maybe it's the power in the range I really use it every day. Maybe it's the handling (does the Yam compete?). I'm not sure whether I'm hoping you guys will talk me into or out of the Triumph. I just want to know what you think.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have you heard anything about the "twitchy" throttle on the new EFI FZ1s? Some people really hate it. I have read reviews where the "On/Off" nature of it really disrupts the chassis while cornering. You should definitely look that issue up.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
One of the guys who rides with our RAT group has an FZ1. Actually, he's on his second one - just bought a brand new blue one.

Nice bike. Very fast (once it's wound out). Has wind protection. Insurance rates beat the ***** outta the R1, but almost the same bike.

What I don't like? It's buzzy. It's fairly large. It has a fairing. Everybody has one.

I won't tell you the S3's a totally better bike 'cause it's a little like apples and oranges. Objectively, it's more compact (everyone who sees it says "It looks bigger in pictures" and "I can't believe how little it is" (and yes, they're talking about the bike, not... nevermind).

Objectively, it has a broader powerband, so it doesn't need to be wound out. Objectively, easier wheelies.

Subjectively, it's a lot more fun. Subjectively, it's better looking (unless it's yellow; those look weird). Subjectively, the FZ is more practical, but the S3 is more fun. A lot more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
you don't want ANOTHER Jap, do ya? do your buddies have single-sided swing arms? the triple is about 20 lbs. lighter that an FZ1 as well. pure double bugeyed moto-exotica! :wink:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
They do make those in yellow too, y'know.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The 1050 motors are solid see the copied article below. Its the Sprint S/T but the 1050 motor.

The Sprint ST has just fought off the BMW K1200S and the Honda VFR-ABS to win Motorrad's 50,000km endurance test, beating 12 other competitor bikes to the top spot.

Motorrad, Germany's best selling and most influential motorcycle magazine, found that after 50,000km the Sprint ST's compression and performance figures were the same as a brand new bike, the oil consumption was marginal, the engine, clutch and gearbox were all in very good condition and the painted parts, frame and exhaust pipe showed no sign of corrosion at all. The inspiring, characterized engine and the excellent handling of the bike also impressed them.

The condition of the bike after the 50,000km endurance test is outlined below:

Cylinder head:
All valves were leak proof
Valve seats were satisfactory
Valve guides and stems were within figures for new
Camshaft-bearings had visible marks but were within tolerance
Cam lobes are very good

Liners/Pistons:
All liners had visible marks but were within tolerances
RHS liner slightly more non-circular but still within tolerances
Piston free play is satisfactory with not much charcoal

Crank assembly:
Main bearings like new
Big ends perfect
Small ends and gudgeon pins slightly worn

Transmission:
Gear box in very good condition with no pitting
Clutch plates like new

Frame/Chassis:
Premium and reliable paintwork
No hidden corrosion on powder coated frame

Motorrad concluded that, as a result of the moderate depreciation and reasonable costs of the Sprint ST, combined with the proven reliability and excellent condition of the bike during and after the endurance test, the Sprint ST was the sure winner for this test.
©2007 calmoto.com

While I have no experience on the Fizzy all the rags said mid range grunt is severely lacking - The S3 rules in this area.

Also check insurance rates on both. The FZ rated like an RI when I checked

·
Registered
317 Posts
To me, inline fours are just plain boring. I even tested the BMW K1200S and was impressed by the punch, but didn't feel anything special about it. Twins or triples are the way to go. Check out the Aprilia Tuono and the new Tiger as well.

But, of course, you'll be happiest on an S3.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yamaha's a great bike. I still have my '82, though its kinda for sale, as I rarely ride anymore. I still see old Maxims on the road every coupla weeks.
Down here in SoFla, about 60% of the bikes you see during the day are Harleys, the rest Big 4, except for 1 or 2% European. At night, its 70% Big 4, almost 30% Harleys and big twin barhoppers, and a few Euros.

Last week at a local bike night there were over 500 bikes - 5 Triumphs, maybe ten Ducatis, BMWs, Guzzis, MV Agustas.

Plus side for Yamaha: Dealers everywhere, good value for the money ($9199 list)

Plus side for Speed Triple: 2 year warranty, good value for the money ($9995 list), stands out from the crowd.

If these were cars, for roughly equal money, would you want a Toyota Camry or Lotus Elise?

·
Registered
171 Posts
If your having doubts I'd say stick with the yammie, you said you got a good dealer so why risk that? However, just the fact that you posted here and have been lurking shows you've been bitten by the bug. If you buy the S3 you won't be disappointed, I used to ride yammies and so did Cheap but look at us now, we're on the S3 and love it (the faster yellow versions). Plus if you buy one you'll become part of this forum which I know blows the doors off any Fazer forum out there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok, i don't own/ride either one. I may get to ride the S3 this Saturday at the Triumph Week at my dealer, so i might at least have a better of idea of that side of things.

The reason i'm speaking up about this is that i was considering the same thing not too long ago. Here's how it came down to me.

Personally, i like the look of the FZ1 better than the S3. It has a half fairing which is nice for the commute and longer trips. The exhaust is in a better position to mount bags, and factory ones are available. They have a bigger dealer network which is nice if your local one is sub par. The downsides are a motor that needs to be revved a bit higher, and reportedly bad fuel injection at low throttle. Personally, i don't mind having to rev the motor a little bit. It's the throttle problem that would have me worried. People have used Power Commanders to (mostly) eliminate it, but i hear it wasn't easy.

I think the S3 is gorgeous in Scorched Yellow. The small size and gobs of torque is great for the urban jungle i live in. However, when i take a few steps back, i just don't like what i see. In all black, the motor looks like a blob. Tacked on to the "blob" are wheels, headlights, and a seat. It looks disjointed to me. The brakes have been an issue on some S3s, but it's being resolved. No such luck with the FI on the FZ1. I really like the 955 triple in my old Sprint. The 1050 motor must be great.

You really are comparing two different bikes, though. The FZ1 is more along the lines of the new Tiger. It has the longer wheelbase, half faring, and bag option. I don't like the Tiger for aesthetic/practically reasons, but i'm sure it's a good bike.

The S3 is more along the lines of the Kawasaki Z1000. I don't think Yamaha has a hooligan bike out yet. Well, not in the states. They have the MT series across the pond.

I think the hardest thing for you is that you already know a good Yamaha dealer. It can really make a difference in how much you enjoy your bike. I'm sure they'd let you test ride the new FZ1 if you've got a good relationship with them.

How about you do that, and then tell US what you think about the two? :-D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If these were cars, for roughly equal money, would you want a Toyota Camry or Lotus Elise?
Did you just compare one of these bikes to a Toyota Camry? I got your point, but come on... a Camry?

Has anybody out there ridden both? R100Pilot? I'd really like to hear a handling comparison.

Rhinoe: I read about the snappy throttle issue too. One of the magazines (Cycle World?) just recently did a short write up of an aftermarket fix for that problem that they said cured it. Thanks to that fantastic Yam dealer, I'm sure I can get the FZ1 plus the cost of the fix for less than the S3.

It's too bad my Triumph dealer is such a jerk. I think a lot of dealers don't take me seriously, because they think somebody my age wouldn't be serious about the bike. I'm probably younger than most of you here. It's his loss. Whatever I buy, I'll make sure to drop by his shop and show him the bike I bought somewhere else. (the same thing I did with my local car dealership after I drove elsewhere to buy my car when they wouldn't let me test drive one.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure they'd let you test ride the new FZ1 if you've got a good relationship with them.

How about you do that, and then tell US what you think about the two? :-D
That's exactly what I'll do.... just as soon as it warms up a little more! That is unless I make a decision or come across a nice used one before then.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
On 2007-03-07 12:28, cheapbastard wrote:
I would say screw 'em both and buy a Ducati. :hammer: :-D I mean you do want sumt'n reliable, right? :razz:
please go buy a Ducati and then you can ask those dumbas% questions on the Ducati board.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On 2007-03-07 13:30, pitviper33 wrote:
Did you just compare one of these bikes to a Toyota Camry? I got your point, but come on... a Camry?

Has anybody out there ridden both? R100Pilot? I'd really like to hear a handling comparison.

Rhinoe: I read about the snappy throttle issue too. One of the magazines (Cycle World?) just recently did a short write up of an aftermarket fix for that problem that they said cured it. Thanks to that fantastic Yam dealer, I'm sure I can get the FZ1 plus the cost of the fix for less than the S3.

It's too bad my Triumph dealer is such a jerk. I think a lot of dealers don't take me seriously, because they think somebody my age wouldn't be serious about the bike. I'm probably younger than most of you here. It's his loss. Whatever I buy, I'll make sure to drop by his shop and show him the bike I bought somewhere else. (the same thing I did with my local car dealership after I drove elsewhere to buy my car when they wouldn't let me test drive one.)
The S3 is a mean green dookie machine....I came from the Yamaha camp as well, never been on an FZ1 but I have been on several R1s and R6s....The Camry vs Lotus comparison is a little off....its more like a Maxima vs a Mustang...

The maxima is your standard utility cage with some nice wheels and a luxury ride but its nooo 350Z (The R1 in this Case). The have the same motor you know... :wink:

The Mustang does not offer much in utility, but it is green and mean....

If you are looking for utility then go with the FZ1 if you are looking for a dose of green and mean.....get the S3....but forget all this talk about green, or for that matter, piss yellow...get the faster black version...you won't be disapointed...

BTW you could always get a Harley...then it would be the equivalent of driving a large Suburban....you know why HD have so much torque.....Its because all the Chicks on the back of Harleys usually weigh 300lbs.... :hammer: Had to digress

[ This message was edited by: TheGuvnor on 2007-03-07 23:06 ]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have ridden several bikes over the past few weeks: Yamaha FZ1, Triumph Speed Triple, Suzuki SV1000, Buell XB12R.

The truth is, they were all a blast to ride and I liked different things about them. I also found things I didn't like in each bike. Bottom line: you need to get in the saddle and decide for yourself.

I think there's alot to be said for having good dealer support, someone you trust and makes the experience of owning a bike easier. My nearest dealer happens to be Triumph and they are helpful. I loved every minute in the saddle of every bike I rode and If my garage and wallet were big enough...

Spring is aroud the corner...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own both a s3 and an 01 fz1. I went through the same dilema for an 06 fz1. For cruizing above 60mph for extened periods the fz windscreen is priceless, however all excelleration below 60mph the s3 makes me smile like a fat man with pie. I also worried about the reliability of the triumph (the English are engineers like the germans are romantic lovers.) You really cant go wrong with the two choices, yamaha makes a great quality product but the s3 is a butt-load of real life fun for daily riding. No problems with my s3 after 4000 miles of constant flogging and I would not trade it for any other bike in its catagory, my fz is now my hassle-free loaner for my friends.

Hope you make a unique choice,
Remmy

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
On 2007-03-07 13:30, pitviper33 wrote:
I'm probably younger than most of you here.
So, you're sayin' you're under 40? :-D

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2007-03-07 23:50, remmy wrote:
I own both a s3 and an 01 fz1. I went through the same dilema for an 06 fz1. For cruizing above 60mph for extened periods the fz windscreen is priceless, however all excelleration below 60mph the s3 makes me smile like a fat man with pie. I also worried about the reliability of the triumph (the English are engineers like the germans are romantic lovers.) You really cant go wrong with the two choices, yamaha makes a great quality product but the s3 is a butt-load of real life fun for daily riding. No problems with my s3 after 4000 miles of constant flogging and I would not trade it for any other bike in its catagory, my fz is now my hassle-free loaner for my friends.

Hope you make a unique choice,
Remmy
Remmy, in the last week I've done a 500k, and 2 x 1000k days on the S3 with no fairing or flyscreen etc. I find with no head wind up to 150km/hr is comfortable all day on the S3. With a head wind, drop that to abouyt 130kph.. I got home this year, fresher than when I had the Sprint last year. Solely because this year I wore my bike knicks under my leathers which stop the seat moving from uncomfortable to painful on the long day trips - which I find the most tiring of all.

The Fz1 is a fantastic bike and if pitviper prefers it's looks I say get it - if you don't loke the look of your bike you'll end up regretting it. If he likes the performance and character the S3 gives, then even better, get that!

Russ
Russ

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ride with a guy who has a FZ1 and it's OK. Girls don't even notice the FZ1 on their way to check out my S3. :-D , not really, but I've been at the gas pump and had people ask me if they can take pictures of my bike. Image is not everything to me, but the FZ is not my style.

Ride both, If the S3 don't blow your mind...go buy a Ducati.

A yellow one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts