Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pulled the engine out of my 1050 Speed Triple to blueprint and make a few mods. While it is apart, does anyone want specific photos and/or measurements/weights?

I will document the mods and have head flow numbers before and after, but if there is anything specific you want, speak up.

It will be back together again (if everything goes as planned) by the end of Feb.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I, for one, would love to see all of the photos that you have. It's always interesting to see guts. Well, mechanical guts, anyway!

Mark.
:-D

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Lotus finished?? Welcome back and send the internal pics-good stuff!

·
Registered
74 Posts
first post pics of the lotus! :hammer:

then pics of the engine pr0n. tied down in the back of a truck! bolted to an engine stand! spread out on a table! Wh00 Yeah!

there's lots more dirty jokes here but i'll not get graphic. ;)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HiVel - YOU need to just come over to the shop. LOL. The new Lotus engine is waiting on a couple of parts, and then I can continue, so I pulled the Speed Triple apart.

HarriS - Are you wanting photos of the carbon tracks? Do you want piston burn patterns as well?

DragonRider - I can't do cams until AFTER the head flow numbers are known. I may not do cams at all. I am cleaning the stock pistons, cryo treating, and ceramic coating them (Dry film lube on skirts). The stock rods will be ballanced, shotpeened, and coated to shed oil. I may add a bit more oil control and perhaps a crank scraper.

I will cut the head to improve squish and increase compression. Then do some port clean up and a few small aeration tricks - nothing really fancy. Then ceramic coat the chambers, valves, and exhaust port.

Due time constraint, the custom header is on the back burner. I am considering a few changes to the modified stock one I am currently running.

I am just trying to get a bit more from the stock parts at little cost - just time and effort. I feel that with the above work and a bit more tuning to cam timing, intake length/diameter/taper, and fuel/ignition timing, 140 rwhp (Dynojet) is possible with mostly stock parts (modified). WITH added torque. My last session on the dyno produced 135 hp with slight drop in torque to 80.2 ft-lb (132.5 hp/82 ft-lb previously).

Then again, I may just be wrong. :-D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hoostine - You are MY kind of twisted!

Photos of the Lotus Elise 2005 model Starlight BLACK (metalic):
Not great, but the only ones I have right now. NOT my tag, and with older tires right after I bought it.

[ This message was edited by: Devious2XS on 2007-01-10 12:29 ]

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CB - it's LIGHT! 1900 pounds in that photo - soon to be even less and with twice the power. MWuHAhahahaahaaa!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Those Elise's are impressive cars. I've driven my buddy's 2006 several times. It isn't civilized or comfortable, but there's no better vehicle for hauling down windy roads.

I can't imagine what it would be like with twice the power and less weight! :drool:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2007-01-10 13:40, Nimec2320 wrote:
Man that thing is hot! How tall are you? I'm about six three, do you think i would fit in the driver seat?
I am 6'2" 210 pounds. Plenty of room... once you learn how to get in and out. There are plenty of Elise and Exige owners taller than you. With two good sized male adults on board, your shoulder just touch. Plenty of leg room.

'Glass body on an aluminum tub chassis with aluminum Toyota/Yamaha 4-banger (8450 rpm redline) and 6 speed trans. Sounds like a big superbike engine, but handles better than any bike I know.

I would definately say this topic has wandered off topic. :)

[ This message was edited by: Devious2XS on 2007-01-10 13:51 ]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Must.........schedule.......trip to.........Alabama!

Nice Devious!

Oh yeah, I'd love to see whatever pics you have of the 1050 engine pre-cleanup as well as post. Lookin fwd to it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Those Lotus' are very fun to drive, especially the turbo'd ones with 300hp at the rear wheels :) I helped the guy install the turbo kit. I had way too much fun driving that car!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your report & photos of the modified motor. :upthumb:

Just curious; can you comment more about the oil control? Your thoughts about how the additional power will affect the bearings?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scratch,
As long as the engine stays out of detonation, the bearings should be fine. Detonation HAMMERS bearings. But that is why I have the J&S knock sensor/active control and display.

I plan to radius all oil holes in the engine and oil pump to assist flow. I may even shim the pump spring to slightly increase pressure.

My big plans are to look at windage control, crankscraper, and oil shedding coatings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts