Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm actually not asking what the issue is so much as how common it is.

I changed oil and coolant yesterday and noticed a bit of oil bleeding from the right front corner of the head gasket. I suspected the valve cover as I had it off recently - but it's bone dry above the head gasket all the way around.
No water in the oil, no oil in the water and it runs fine, just a pesky oil weep from the head gasket at the front of the timing chain tunnel.
I read a few posts about similar issues on another board. Anyone else here? Without a front screw there's a fair length of unclamped gasket around the front of that tunnel.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Well, I'm showing a dark spot in front of cylinder 3, below the head gasket, exactly as you're describing. Except mine is an 02 955. The spot isn't even wet, just dark and, well, gunky. I'm keeping an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Just a Triumph feeling nostalgic??:D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gasket kit ordered

Gasket kit ordered... Ouch!!! I wish the performance of the parts tracked the obvious manufacturers pride.
Looks like a fine project for Dad & the 14 year old. If he does most of the work it should suffice for the majority of a merit badge - though he's on his way to Eagle without automotive. :) At least I'll get the coolant thoroughly flushed...

Having grown up driving MG's and Triumph's, it's a bit disconcerting to still have oil leakage and electrical issues on an '06. Whodathunkit?

I'll have a machine shop check the head for flatness before it goes back together. I'll reset a couple valve shims from high end to center of range. Don't disturb the cast iron sleeves?

Any other advise? I'd like this thing to be as clean and reliable as my buddies BMWs. An oil leaking Trumpy is a bit much.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'll have a machine shop check the head for flatness before it goes back together. I'll reset a couple valve shims from high end to center of range. Don't disturb the cast iron sleeves?
As I recall, being the 1050 motor is just an uprated 955, you do, technically, disturb the liners when you take the head off. Part of what holds the wetliner sleeves in place is the torque on the heads. There's just a sealant between the liner and the main block. But this is as I recall it. Check your service manual.

Have you considered just retorqueing the head to see if it stops there. Completely tearing down a motor wouldn't be my first instinct on this.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hey CLB, nice to see you back again. We had one nice day in a row down here. You still wet up there?

Don

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks SprintST,

That's my revised plan. Maybe I'll chalk it up to "character" if it doesn't work.
I'd break the liners loose if anyone would...

Wifey says "Bubble-Gum".

Will report results.

CLB

Have you considered just retorqueing the head to see if it stops there. Completely tearing down a motor wouldn't be my first instinct on this.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, the useful part of this post first:

Thanks Dave.
Thanks Dolson.
We had two nice days. I was off Friday and put ~300 miles on the Sprint. Saturday was ~30 miles with wifey on bicycles. Clear and dry both days. It's been raining ever since.

Gasket order cancelled before it was processed.

Retorque the head?
Torque to 20nm
Torque to 35nm
Tighten an additional 90 degrees
That procedure only applies to a new gasket

I gave them a few degrees. I expect the net effect will be nada.
Call it character? Bubblegum?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This just in...

Just 25 miles since the bike was buttoned up and I have a nice trail of fresh oil from the head gasket. The leak appears to start right at the front of the timing chain tunnel.
Valve cover gasket once again is sealing fine.

My options:

1) Revert to plan A, buy a gasket set and fix it. Not too thrilled about the possibility of disturbing the cylinders - or not finding out until it's all buttoned up - or spending more on the bike. Will amount to a bit between gasket set and machine shop services.

2) Sell the Sprint as-is and buy something a little more Japanese. The Sprint is nicely equipped but otherwise a bit large and heavy for my solo commuter usage.
What's a Sprint with fresh rubber and a weeping head gasket worth?

3) Install a rain gutter like device and plumb it to the chain. Pity I already sprung for the Pro-Oiler.

4) ???

I'll do something. I won't tolerate the authentic Meriden continuous oil change.

It appears that sludge I washed off during my last oil change was doing some sealing. Something to keep in mind if the front of your engine is caked with schmutz around and below your head gasket.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If you can clean and dry the area to perfection, I would try some Permatex Ultra Black hi-temp rtv silicone gasket maker. For a few bucks and your time, I think it fills answer #4!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kinda like this?

I cleaned with Acetone but used Ultra Gray so as not to disturb the feng shui within the fairing.
We'll see what happens.

If you can clean and dry the area to perfection, I would try some Permatex Ultra Black hi-temp rtv silicone gasket maker. For a few bucks and your time, I think it fills answer #4!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good news (sort of...)

The oil appears to be staying inside the engine.
With luck this will get me through the summer.
I'll properly regasket the beast this winter.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It Won't

Good news (sort of...)

The oil appears to be staying inside the engine.
With luck this will get me through the summer.
I'll properly regasket the beast this winter.
The gasket has a very fine sealant bead on both the lower and upper sides of the gasket. Once disturbed, not torqued up properly it is rarely able to 're-seal'. Take the punt, renew the gasket, prior too, have an auto machinest check the cylinder head for warping.
On the 885/955 where your oil leak is there are two ( from memory) internal torx head fittings inside the cam chain tunnel that have to be carefully torqued up, they are difficult to get a straight line on with a normal socket extention. Much care is needed here.
Head removal jobs on our machines are a piece of cake, renew the very expensive valve stem seals while you are at it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
LC you are preaching to the converted I think.:)

CLB is a long time member here and one of the real tech experts that have been on this forum IMHO.

CLB has helped many people here in the past with numerous technical issues.

But no one person knows everything:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But it is...

That's ok Dave, I asked for opinions.
Mine is that this is a temporary sleazy bandage at best.

My opinion is that it will hold until I'm willing to risk disturbing the cylinder liners. That's the other end of the much anticipated dry season.

There are no internal bolts in the area of the chain tunnel on a 1050. Just the 8 internal head bolts and 2 external torx screws on the right hand side.
No pressurized coolant or oil in the area but the front of the chain tunnel is the gravity fed return path for camshaft/lifter oil back to the crankcase.

So - head gasket planned for winter.
In the meantime I'd rather be tinkering on this:

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Yes and she is an absolute beauty too.

But I would expect no less of you CLB:)

Don is a pilot and is knowledgeable about aircraft, not quite so much me, so what sort is it CLB?

Cheers
DaveM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts