Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been reading everything I can on the new '11 and I'll be coming from a 08 1000rr which was great, but I'm looking for a bit more comfort. Will I be happy with the move? The torque is about the same for both bikes (peak) but I'm guessing the speedy has a more flat curve, right?

Also,do the arrow twin exhausts you can get make the sound a lot deeper? It seems like the best cans to get since they are official and come with an official tune and everything. What about the fly cowl ? does that get ride of much wind blast at all? Is it even an issue? I dont plan on going 150 mph or tracking the bike really.

Thanks!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I can only speak for the 09 speedy, but i recently bought one. Before that i rode a zx10r. Speedy is definitely a more comfortable bike. The torque is a thing of beauty. Stays solid from around 3k through the top. It does feel slow though. I was spoiled with how fast the zx was. Dont get me wrong...the bike will move. But doing 140 on the freeway for a distance is no longer an option. The wind resistance is noticable, but its not that bad. I recently bought clipons bc the stock ergos were way too straight up, and actually hurt my wrists bc i was used to a a sportier feel. Its the perfect mountain bike imo. The twin arrows sound pretty good. My zx was loud as **** though, so these arrows seem quiet to me. Also...thing is a weelie monster. Im sure youre aware though :beerchug

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive got a 2010 s3 and 2008 gsxr 1000, both brilliant bikes, the s3 feels slow after being on the gsxr but within a few miles im loving it.
Sounds great with the arrows after i removed the baffles
Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just purchased a speedy. About 1200 twisty mtn miles on it now. Love the torque and accel. But be real NOTHING CAN TOUCH THE 1000RR! Speedy is much more comfy and so I use it more then I would the bmw. I have single arrow system. Light weight, clean and I enjoy the sound. If you want a versitle bike that is fun and rips, its the 2011 speedy. If you want a superpower monster that will get you thru corners like nothing else (but not so comfy)1000rr. INMHO

·
Registered
219 Posts
Spinkick, I've got a new 2011 ABS Speedy. I've done just over 3,000 miles since I bought it new in March. I have come from Ducati 998 - not as fast as your behemoth, but still PDQ! The Speedy is obviously slower than my 998 - but it still has a top speed of around 150 - do I need any more on public roads?! of course not! It is a fun bike - the riding position attracted me to it. Also having had Jap IL4's and Italian V-twin erotica, I was interested in the grunt factor of a triple and comfort of a sit-up position in equal measures - and I'm NOT disappointed!

Enjoy!

Dx

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is my 42nd street bike, my previous being 2009 ZX10R.
My 2011 ABS Speedie is not nearly as powerful as the ZX, or as fast (if you do 130 mph you will surely feel it, and think it's plenty faster than you should be going on this bike due to lack of fairing/screen).
The good is that the Speedie has a lot of character, it handles fantastic, has wonderful brakes, has ABS, and gets looks from everyone.
The triple sounds great stock, not sure I'd drop $1000 on slip on pipes just for some noise.
The torque curve is indeed rather flat, the bikes pulls nicely and really enjoys high revs.
Seating position is quite comfortable, in fact this bike is one of the most enjoyable and painfree I've had.
I like it a lot and think you will as well.
Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I changed my CBR 1000 RR last summer for a 2010 S3. Undoubtedly the right decision for me, whilst nothing like the sheer speed and exhilaration of the CBR the S3 just gives more all round pleasure. Great handling, vastly improved comfort and in my view a better sound with the twin arrows. The Fly Screen gives no real protection and yes the buffetting is substantial at +100 mph. I added the belly pan, tail tidy just to improve the looks. Build quality isnt Honda but neither is the price..........no regrets at all

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spinkick, I've got a new 2011 ABS Speedy. I've done just over 3,000 miles since I bought it new in March. I have come from Ducati 998 - not as fast as your behemoth, but still PDQ! The Speedy is obviously slower than my 998 - but it still has a top speed of around 150 - do I need any more on public roads?! of course not! It is a fun bike - the riding position attracted me to it. Also having had Jap IL4's and Italian V-twin erotica, I was interested in the grunt factor of a triple and comfort of a sit-up position in equal measures - and I'm NOT disappointed!

Enjoy!

Dx
Thanks, thats whats got me looking. I dont need really any more speed since I dont track the bike, and the riding position looks awesome. I think I've made my decision :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I still have my 02 R1 and enjoy a good rip on it now and again. My 11 Speed feels great, pulls hard enough, and sounds great. The two bikes feel completely different. I'm more aware of the road and with the comfort I can move around and relax a little more on the Speed. With the R1 I'm locked into the Tron position and it begs to be spanked on constantly. My wrists and elbows have a lot more pressure with the R1 of course. I've done several track days on the R1. Excited to see how the triple does out there.:cool:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Changed from a zx6r to a speedy and yes a lot more comfortable (broke my wrist years ago so clip ons were getting sore after 45min) torque torque torque you will love it after the inline 4,especially low down to pass cars not needing to change down a gear.you may want to factor in a suspension set up as it will not be as good as the jap sports bike but ok for everyday use.
I have the arrows,set p with k&n air filter and love the sound,especially when with the over-run popping,simple tune for the dealer also.
thats my 2c

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Changed from a zx6r to a speedy and yes a lot more comfortable (broke my wrist years ago so clip ons were getting sore after 45min) torque torque torque you will love it after the inline 4,especially low down to pass cars not needing to change down a gear.you may want to factor in a suspension set up as it will not be as good as the jap sports bike but ok for everyday use.
I have the arrows,set p with k&n air filter and love the sound,especially when with the over-run popping,simple tune for the dealer also.
thats my 2c

Thanks. I need to get to a Triumph dealer. None really in my area but now you all have me thinking. Do most Triumph dealers have to order the S3's?

·
Registered
168 Posts
no usually they have one or two in the showroom I just recently also picked up a 06 S3 and love it my first bike was a sv650s it was fun but didnt have the power I was looking for so I upgraded to a 06 daytona 675 I loved the bike the sound the power and everything I had done to it but after riding it for a year I couldnt take the strain on my back and wrists anymore I would ride for an hour and have to stop me being 5'8 and 140lbs it wasnt comfy at all so thats when I decided on the S3 and it was the best decision I've made it has the power handling and comfort I was looking for

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats what im looking for. Something just a bit more sane (but not much) for the road where I'll be a bit more comfy but still have a bike that looks amazing, sounds good, rides great and still has guts :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks, thats whats got me looking. I dont need really any more speed since I dont track the bike, and the riding position looks awesome. I think I've made my decision :)
Good MAN! :D It's always fun getting a new bike - and I suspect you will ENJOY!...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thats what im looking for. Something just a bit more sane (but not much) for the road where I'll be a bit more comfy but still have a bike that looks amazing, sounds good, rides great and still has guts :)

Sounds like a speed Triple to me :D
Then you can have fun making it your own,plenty off add ons for the speedy mate.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Most fun bike i have owned and iv'e had a few. Ride it all day and don't get sore! Easiest bike i have ever ridden in the rain too, So smooth!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts