Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my T120 has 600+ miles now and this weekend i have a quite long trip to go. The distance will be total of 400+ miles both go and back. i am wondering will it hurts engine...? cause it will pass to 1000+ miles. :(
i really cannot get my bike to be serviced before the trip since my queue at the Triumph is after i backed later a few days. Thank you for every reply :smile2:

·
Registered
259 Posts
If the oil doesn't look too dirty and the level is fine, you shouldn't worry about it. Many motors have seen a lot worse and survived......

·
Registered
T100R Daytona 1971 & Tiger 850 Sport
302 Posts
Provided you do all the routine checks before your trip there will be nothing to worry about. So as well as oil and coolant levels, tyre pressures and condition, you should check critical fasteners such as exhaust etc. plus chain free play ( don't over tighten though) and chain lubrication. Also check coolant hoses for any seeping due to hose clips bedding into rubber etc. A long run will be good for your engine provided you try to gradually increase maximum rpm as you get closer to 1000 miles and avoid extended periods at constant speed and throttle. ( Just like the owners manual advises).

·
Banned
451 Posts
Talk to your dealer first. I was told (by the dealer) that the first service should be done between 350mls and 750mls or one month...It may affect your warranty. If the dealer says its OK then that should be fine.

If it was my bike I would drop that oil out of it around now and change it....
Its only a matter of undoing the drain plug whilst the oil is hot and let it drain, and refill with recommended oil...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I'm with Scotty UK: the only real consideration is the warranty, though I would consider an oil and filter change if I was planning on overshooting the 500 mile service by much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For what it's worth, my local dealer (a mom & pop shop with a very loyal customer base) said that they typically recommend closer to 800 miles before the first service gets done.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The oil the Bike comes with is for running in and should be changed to fully synthetic 10/40 at the first service.
you can use the semi synthetic Castrol oil or the full synthetic oil wont make any difference. The biggest differnce will be frequency of change .. 10K miles or every year tells you a lot and I wouldnt worry if you do 2K miles in a year and dont change the oil ..Modern oil is very good stuff

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only reason for the magical 500 mile mark is that it's a good point in the run-in cycle. Compared to my previous Daytona, the new engine on my T120 was tighter than nun's butt. It didn't start loosening up until the 300 mile mark. I am taking it in for the 500 mile service tomorrow morning, and moved it close to 550 riding home from work today. The engine feels like it is "almost" broken in. I'm not too worried about the exact mileage for the service, as the oil filter will take care of most of the serious metal flake. But I do think it's a good idea to flush it out after the engine is worn in to the point that it feels smooth.

I always do the 500 mile service at the dealer just to have a record of it for warranty purposes. I've been very lucky, and have not had a serious issue on any bike I've had that required serious warranty service. I've had a couple of minor recalls over the years, but between Yamaha, HD, and Triumph, I've been really happy with them all.

I will say that I could really "feel" this 1200 twin "open up" at the mid point like no other bike I've had. In one week, it went from tight and edgy to smooth and creamy. I much prefer smooth and creamy. I kind of think that somebody just pulled the "500" mile figure out of their butt. I don't think it's based on hard science, just common sense.

For peace of mind, I wouldn't try to push it past 1000 miles before the first oil change. That's just me typing on the intertubes. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV.

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,982 Posts
I just had my first service done on another bike, brand and engine configuration so no comparison, but, I brought the bike in with 1000 miles on the clock. I didn't care, the dealer didn't nor the manufacturer as far as warranty. If you think the filter or oil is going to be badly contaminated or clogged by exceeding the 500 mile service by 500 miles, then I would worry about the engine quality as a whole. I think the number is conservative to get owners into the dealership to check on the whole state of the bike's condition. My dealer told me that the manufacturer requires them to send them a checklist of items for the bike for their own quality control records. My chain and clutch needed some adjustment after the 1Kmiles which probably would not have occurred at the 500 or 600 mile mark. Maybe I'm not so worried about these things since I bought the bike, rode just under 700 miles, stored the bike for the winter with the factory oil and filter and then rode another 300 miles this early spring before bringing in the bike.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I think you might be overthinking this too much. I brought my T120 in for its 1st service at 850, my dealer encouraged me to just get it done by about 1K miles. Check with your dealer to see if they think it is much of problem to get that first service done when you get back from your ride, follow their advice. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Talk to your dealer first. I was told (by the dealer) that the first service should be done between 350mls and 750mls or one month...It may affect your warranty. If the dealer says its OK then that should be fine.

If it was my bike I would drop that oil out of it around now and change it....
Its only a matter of undoing the drain plug whilst the oil is hot and let it drain, and refill with recommended oil...
I also agree with Scotty in that you should do your own oil change now as well as the "Check and Adjust" items called out in the Required Maintenance Table. Then go one further, record the fact you did it in your Maintenance Record (it came with your bike), and retain the receipt for the oil and filter. Note mileage of bike and date on both the record and receipts.

I will agree with everyone who posted on this thread that it makes no difference to the bike whether it is 500 miles or 1000. But, it COULD make a difference to your warranty. In the future your bike could develop some sort of issue that could be related to oil, and if Triumph chooses to do so, could point to the fact you failed to follow the required maintenance schedule and therefore a costly engine rebuild is on your dime.

This scenario is likely never to happen, but why risk it?

I did my own 500 mile service, including the Check and Adjust, recorded it in the book and then had the dealer reset the light and do a data dump later at my convenience. All perfectly legal, and it meets thre requirements of the warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts