Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Love this bike. Bought her new last November. I have no regrets about buying her. (Not even about the high interest loan - you only live once, right?) I been able to ride a few cool modern bikes, but nothing compares to the old school feel of the Bonneville. People ask me why I bought this bike, and other than the obvious reasons (It's a Triumph, dude) I tell people its like riding a new old bike. No fancy gauges, electronics, computers (or suspension) to intrude on my enjoyment of the ride. It's a motorbike, pure and simple. Not to mention fun to work on. Lack of funds has prohibited any serious mods, but I've done the cheap stuff (AI removal, Bafflectomy) and can't wait to do more!

My dad rode a '63 Bonnie when he was my age. I guess bikes are in my blood. I remember seeing pictures of dad's bike and thinking it was really cool. I developed a serious interest in motorbikes a few years ago and have had my heart set on a Bonnie ever since. I'm glad I was finally able to get one, especially it being the last carbureted model. No offense to you EFI folks, I'm sure the new bikes are fantastic, but I like playing with jets, needles, floats, and such.

I took a nice ride this past weekend to a popular biker hang out about an hour away. There were about 100 bikes there, some of which were very cool. I'm proud to say that my Triumph was one of the bikes getting lots of attention. On the way home I couldn't resist whacking the throttle wide open on a long straight section just to see how fast I could go. I came real close to hitting the ton, but couldn't quite do it. Exciting anyway - That sort of speed, while not impressive on a sportbike, is pure adrenaline on a Bonneville - I haven't been the same since. :D

Anyway, sorry to go on...just wanted to share. Here's to the next 49000 miles!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Arc...you captured perfectly why we all like the Bonny so much. Nice review....congrats on the bike and ride safe,
George

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I would love that bike as well. There is something real nice about the silver bikes.

The blacks are nice and look bad, the T100's are nice and look fancy and capture that 68 style really well but the silvers are somewhere in between. They are super clean and do capture a bit of both Black and T100's worlds.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The Essence of Motorbiking

If you shed the chrome, plastic fairings, and adventure accessories off of motorcycles, you'll find the the heart of the motorcycle - the Bonneville.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi Ho Silver!!!!!

Arc,

Great choice on the Silver. Mine is an 06' and I got it used in August. I had a 30 year break from bikes myself but boy do I love it now. I too have been suffering from the dreaded 'Lakafunds" disease and most of the mods on my bike were already there when I got it other than bars and home made bar end mirrors. I have put about 2500 miles on mine and plan on many more. It has got to be great therapy because regardless of how crappy my life is going, I feel great when I get on that bike. The one thing this bike will not do is carry mental baggage. You just have to leave it at home. And like other people have said, I can't go more than 2 or 3 rides without someone wanting to talk to me about the bike when I stop. I consider it the best money I have spent it years.

Pops

·
Registered
741 Posts
Excellent review! You accurately voiced what I have been thinking, but, I couldn't so eloquently say. Sometimes, I think about what it would be like to have a bit faster bike. Then I get complimented on the Bonnie by some stranger and it reminds me of all the reasons I got it in the first place. It's got major "cool" factor, it's different than what everyone else is riding, it's easy to control, didn't cost an arm and a leg new, etc... I bought mine last year and have over 5,000 miles and still get excited to ride it. Glad you enjoy yours so much too. Enjoy the summer and ride safe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ryd- [email protected]

agreed- that silver captures something strong about the 60's-
and for riding- I find some guy coming up at least once a wek sharing his stories about a 69 or 59 or 64 bonnie and its always with a smile- cant buy that!

·
Registered
29 Posts
right on

you hit the nail on the head........I love my '08 Black for all the same reasons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts