Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the Air Cooled Talk section of the RAT forum we have the 100,000 MILE HIGH ClUB where so far 11 members have clocked up that mileage or more on their air cooled Hinkley Bonnevilles and variants.

yesterday I met a rider who was on a yellow 1994 Triumph Daytona that has clocked 240,000 kilometers being 149,000 miles. the rider has owned the bike since new and by his accounts it has only been subjected to routine maintenance items. his Daytona has never broken down, failed to start or needed major repairs and it still looked amazing

so that has me wondering; what other Triumph models have clocked up over 100k miles. I would have thought the likes of Hinkley Tigers and Trophys to be likely candidates. even some of the old Meriden models as years ago I clocked up over 100,000 kilometers on a T140 Bonnie

maybe we need a sticky in the Biker Hangout for all models owners to register their mileage?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had 202000 km (125500 miles ) on my 1998 Trophy 1200 which was faultless no major work just regular maintance items like plugs coils chain sprockets tyres etc etc

I would still have it but a truck did a u turn in front of me and it was totalled. Grrrr.......

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have a friend with over 150,000 on a Triumph Trophy 900, runs great and has been extremely reliable.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I sold my Sprint 900 1995 with 146000 km on the clock. When I bought it in 2004, it showed 23500 km, so I covered 122500 km on it. Problems - sprag clutch.

I put 195000 km on odometer on my ex Sprint 955 2001, bought it when it was on 35000 km. Covered 160000 km. Minor problems - rear shock rebuilt.

Now my Sprint GT 2010 shows 87400 km on the clock. Bought it when it was on 22300 km. Covered 65100 km so far. Minor problems - generator winding. I'm loving my Sprint GT. It is the best bike I have owned.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I put 180K on my 1995 Sprint but it suffered valve recession and had to have a pretty comprehensive rebuilt head at 108K. I had some other minor work done at the same time because it was already apart. Other than that it needed a petcock, coils, four, count them, four, ignition pickup sensors and regular maintenance.

I now have an ignition pickup sensor under the seat of my 98 Sprint Sport with 60K hoping being prepared will mean I never need one again.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I put over 130,000 miles on my 72 TR6. It had 2 new sets of forks (wreck and worn chrome), 2 ignitions (Boyer), a new wiring harness, 5 batteries, 3 gas tanks, 3 exhausts, 2 carbs (Mikuni VM 32), 2 engine overhauls (last bore 60 over), 2 clutches (Barnett), 9 chains, 9 sets of tires, 2 sets of shocks (Hagon) and front springs (progressive) , 3 sprockets, and 3 seats (Corbin Gunfighter). Venhill clutch and brake cables lasted for decades. It was in Maine, Florida, California, and Washington; also Mexico and Canada; 39 states. Other than flat tires and an ignition switch replaced in a farm store, it never broke down on the road. Many miles were at 80mph+ all day. It leaked oil from the front push rod tube until good seals and wedding bands became available. It ate headlight and taillight bulbs and the occasional plug. LED, halogen, and iridium plugs solved that. It ran on pump gas, starting with Sunoco 260 and lately E0 from the marina. It had a Norton Spin-on oil filter after the last overhaul. It was my daily rider to work most of the year. It was frustrating working overtime on a nice day with the Triumph waiting in the parking lot. Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts