Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
riding home yesterday evening and my bike passed the 160,835 kilometer mark, being 100,000 miles.

having an analogue speedo the odometer only shows 60,865 kilometers as it reached 99,999.9 a few years back then clicked over to zero again

bike has always ran well and been reliable. only a couple of hiccups along the way.I've owned it since new and had the first dealer check/service done at 800 kilometers and decided after that to take care of all maintenance myself.

some highlights:-
oil change every 5000-7000 kilometers using Silkoline Comp-4. 10w-40 first 80k and now 15w-50 since
onto my 10th rear and 4th front tyres, use Avon Roadriders after wearing out the initial Metzlers
running the fifth set of chains and Sprockets
numerous brake pads, replaced the front disc once and the rear twice and had to rebuild the rear caliper with new seals
four batteries, killed one as the rectifier regulator went funny so replaced with a Hotshot mofset unit and all good since. another battery died within 13 months as it was a cheapo. lesson learnt, use Yuasa.
replaced the fork seals once as one began to leak about 20k ago. replace fork oil about every 60k
leaking countershaft sprocket seal ages ago
a few upgrades along the way, like TTP breath and carb mods to accomodate
never had to re-shim the valves, check every 20k and last check revealed that a couple are getting tight. am expecting to re-shim next service soon
carbie slides are worn as had to file and polish the wings as they were sticking. need to get new slides. replaced float needles once as the tips were worn.
still running the original Gill ignitor with TTP upgrade and Gill coil and pick up coil

once broke a chain and was my own fault. the chain was fairly new and it broke at the joining link. I'm certain that I was given a different brand of joiner to the chain as when it was purchased there was no joiner. the sales person just shrugged and said well take this one and it was very tight to fit. should have know better as I've fitted dozens of bike and industrial chains over my working life

other than the chain issue, its been a very good bike, still runs well and has held up well for its age. the main engine casing looks aged but the chrome covers and the rest still look good.

looking forward to riding it to the next milestone, 200,000 kilometers

below is when it hit 160,935 kilometres (100,000 miles)

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Top notch! Another one eating up miles without issues, seems to be a trend.

Still on the original clutch?
same 'ol clutch but it was squawking a fair bit on take off until it warmed up. fitted some heavier springs probably about 20k ago, but noticed it's starting to slip again. time to replace methinks. will give it a good birthday next service.
I should also mention that maintaining the bike has largely been made possible thanks to the many write ups and advice made by members past and present on this forum even though I'm a spanner man by vocation.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Congratulations on your milestone, bonza! This forum has given me the information and encouragement I have needed to do all my own maintenance and repairs. These air cooled twins have the potential for super high mileage. And of course they are a blast to ride. Thanks for inspiring me to keep riding and taking care of my beloved Bonneville.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Well done Bonza!! I don't want to put the mokka on you, but my CDI went at 160,000km on my 04 Bonnie, other than that a couple of clutch cables is all I've had to replace. Touch wood!!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Congrats! We're not worthy .... I've only got 36k miles on my 2008 Thrux as I don't get to ride nearly as much as I used to. Hoping to reach the promised land one day.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well done Bonza!! I don't want to put the mokka on you, but my CDI went at 160,000km on my 04 Bonnie, other than that a couple of clutch cables is all I've had to replace. Touch wood!!!!
If it dies stick a fire starter on from TTP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it dies stick a fire starter on from TTP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, good points ozbon and Bonnie59
I have been mindful of some electrical parts failing suddenly.

due to some reports of failures mentioned on this forum over the years I bought as spares a Pick Up Coil and a PVL Ignition Coil to have as spares for "just in case". I tend to take them and some basic tools with me when doing long duration trips through some of the more isolated areas. don't want to be left stranded beyond the black stump when the nearest town is, say, well over 100 kilometers or more away.

as far as the ignitor, I have a riding mate who has a spare ignitor that I could borrow if need be and I did when I sent mine to TTP in England for it to be upgraded. I have looked at the Firestarter igniters and that's what I would get if necessary

think I might renew the clutch cable though. the one on the bike isn't the original as I fitted a new cable when I fitted Thruxton bars, but that was few years and about 80k kilometers ago now and it's starting to make a strange noise near the clutch lever.
I once had a cable break on a previous bike, don't want to go through that again

·
Registered
18 Posts
im at 90200 on my 11 thunderbird storm. i should be at 100k by summer time. only mechanical issue was the rear wheel bearing failing and taking many things out with it about 2k miles ago. original battery lasted 6 years. i have had to replace the radiator after hitting something big and putting a hole in it last summer, then someone hit it and bent my cat and exhaust 5 years ago. but its been a hell of a lot more solid than any of my friends harleys. im still bone stock. might get an xpipe for the bikes 100k anniversary. and im still on the factory clutch but the cable will need to be replaced soon. that little plastic bearing is damaged so its not a smooth pull. but thats easy.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Congratulations bonza!! I am so happy to read this. I love the part about never needing to adjust the valves. Amazing. These are overbuilt bikes. I hope I get the same out of my 2005. I am already saying I have gotten my money's worth out of all the fun and adventures and that's at just 30k.

Its all gravy from here buddy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good on ya ma
riding home yesterday evening and my bike passed the 160,835 kilometer mark, being 100,000 miles.

having an analogue speedo the odometer only shows 60,865 kilometers as it reached 99,999.9 a few years back then clicked over to zero again

bike has always ran well and been reliable. only a couple of hiccups along the way.I've owned it since new and had the first dealer check/service done at 800 kilometers and decided after that to take care of all maintenance myself.

oil change every 5000-7000 kilometers using Silkoline Comp-4. 10w-40 first 80k and now 15w-50 since
onto my 10th rear and 4th front tyres, use Avon Roadriders after wearing out the initial Metzlers
numerous brake pads, replaced the front disc once and the rear twice and had to rebuild the rear caliper with new seals
four batteries, killed one as the rectifier regulator went funny so replaced with a Hotshot mofset unit and all good since. another battery died within 13 months as it was a cheapo. lesson learnt, use Yuasa.
replaced the fork seals once as one began to leak about 20k ago. replace fork oil about every 60k
never had to re-shim the valves, check every 20k and last check revealed that a couple are getting tight. am expecting to re-shim next service soon
carbie slides are worn as had to file and polish the wings as they were sticking. need to get new slides. replaced float needles once as the tips were worn.
still running the original Gill ignitor with TTP upgrade and Gill coil and pick up coil

once broke a chain and was my own fault. the chain was fairly new and it broke at the joining link. I'm certain that I was given a different brand of joiner to the chain as when it was purchased there was no joiner. the sales person just shrugged and said well take this one and it was very tight to fit. should have know better as I've fitted dozens of bike and industrial chains over my working life

other than the chain issue, its been a very good bike, still runs well and has held up well for its age. the main engine casing looks aged but the chrome covers and the rest still look good.

View attachment 715945
good on ya mate, coming up to 150,000km on my 2012Bonnie😎

·
Registered
209 Posts

View attachment 715945

View attachment 715945
From one 100,000 mile high club member to another well done Bonza congratulations your Bonneville is finally run in,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts