Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this funny feeling,10000 klicks and the Bonnie wanted to head home for a service and a check up,anyone else feeling that way?J.B.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My T100 had her 10,000k service in October last year - cost AU$233.70 including $53.00 for oil and $30.45 for a genuine Triumph oil filter. :eek:

I thought the cost was quite reasonable except for the filter of course, Triumph does itself a disservice by reaming its customers like that, it doesn't promote brand loyalty at all.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
mileage

I got this funny feeling,10000 klicks and the Bonnie wanted to head home for a service and a check up,anyone else feeling that way?J.B.
Correct me if i"m wrong but does not "klicks stand for Kilometers, at least that's what I remember......

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yep "Klicks" is kilometers. 10,000 of them is about 6200 miles or so.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My T100 had her 10,000k service in October last year - cost AU$233.70 including $53.00 for oil and $30.45 for a genuine Triumph oil filter. :eek:

I thought the cost was quite reasonable except for the filter of course, Triumph does itself a disservice by reaming its customers like that, it doesn't promote brand loyalty at all.
Thanks for the info,was your first service around 170 bucks ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks for the info,was your first service around 170 bucks ?
Ah! Now there's a story. No my first service (800k) was $368.45 :mad:

I provided a list of things I wanted them to attend to - speedometer rotated in its mount, bike not tracking true, popping on deceleration, jerky throttle response, odometer & trip meter readings not matching etc etc.

They fitted an air injection removal kit ($45.00) which is probably the only non standard item for a first service. When they gave me the bill I saw red, however trying to negotiate when angry is not the wisest move so I paid the bill and left. Once on the road on my newly serviced bike I noted that it still wasn't tracking true and the speedometer was still rotated in its mount however the AI kit seemed to have helped with the popping on deceleration and, to a lesser degree the jerky throttle response. Overall I was still not impressed.

I was undecided at that point as to whether I would ever take the bike back to them for service but about a month or so later I noticed corrosion on the front hub and rust on the front mudguard stay which are obviously warranty claims so I went back to the dealer and collared the manager. I showed him the bill for my first service and asked why it was so high, after consulting the service department he comes back with "they had to spend extra time fixing the things on my check list".

So I get charged to fix factory faults on my brand new bike I ask? He starts to splutter a bit at this point and then claims that Triumph won't cover his labour costs to fix "minor" things like that under warranty. To this I replied well you've just lost me as a customer, you'll never see me or the bike again and prepared to mount the bike to ride off. This provoked a reaction immediately and he says what can we do for you to rectify this situation?

To cut a long story short I got the next service (5000k oil & filter change) for free and I got $300 off the purchase of a set of TORs a grab rail and centre stand. By this time I am almost passified - almost. I pointed out the front hub corrosion and the rust on the mudguard stay to which he replies yes they will be replaced under warranty and they take pictures to send to Triumph.

The next few dealings with them proceed faily smoothly, fitting of the TORs, centre stand and grab rail only cost $150 and the 10,000k service charge was reasonable except for the filter as stated above but months had gone by and there had been no action on the warranty claim for the front hub and mudguard stay.

So I get tired of waiting for their call and go in to see what the story is - nobody at the spares counter knows anything about it but it just so happens that the Triumph rep is in the store on that day so I go and collar him and show him the hub and mudguard stay. Yes no problem he says they will be replaced under warranty to which I reply that's what I was told months ago but nothing has been done about it. He looks surprised and rings his head office to see if a claim had been put through - yes it has and its been approved and the dealer was sent the necessary paperwork - months ago. :mad:

The rep has the dealer look for the missing paperwork but it can't be found - I'm not impressed and by the look of the triumph rep neither is he so he gives them a bit of a rev and says get onto this now as a matter of urgency.

That was over a month ago, I've since ordered two new tyres and a set of gaiters hoping to have those fitted at the same time as the new front wheel and mudguard stay were fitted. Just last week I get a call saying that all parts are now in stock and I organised a time to bring the bike in to have the work done. So in the bike goes in the morning and in the afternoon I go to pick it up only to find that only the rear tyre has been done.

Apparently the wrong size front tyre was supplied to them by Dunlop despite the right size being ordered - so not really their fault but I'm still disappointed that the saga drags on. After organising with the dealer to ring me when the correct tyre arrives I jump on the bike and head home only to notice lots of drive line slack and clunky gear changes plus the bike is not tracking true again. I forgot to mention that I had initially fixed the tracking problem myself by correctly aligning the rear wheel during chain adjustment.

When I get the bike home I check the chain adjustment and find that it has nearly 3" of slack and that the rear wheel is again not correctly aligned. :mad:

If it wasn't for wanting to maintain the integrity of my warranty, although I'm sure I could do a better job of servicing the bike than they can, the bike would never see the dealers shop again.

Phew! That turned out to be a bit of a rant didn't it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Are you required to have the work done by the dealer to maintain the warranty in Australia?

In the US, they legally can't require that. The owner only has to be able to prove that the required work was done with approved materials, and if a dispute arises about that, it has to be directly relevant to the problem. For example, doing one's own oil changes can't be used as a reason to not honor a claim for leaking brake fluid or a defective wheel.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are you required to have the work done by the dealer to maintain the warranty in Australia?
I'm not sure of the exact legal standing of that in Australia although I'm sure that would be the attitude of the dealers. :rolleyes:

I would be quite happy to pay reasonable expenses to have the bike serviced by the dealer during the warranty period and possibly even after, where it fails is when the work is sub standard, the charges excessive or the service less than exemplary.

I have always done my own service / repair work on both cars and bikes once the warranty period has expired and that's what I'll do with the Bonnie unless I get completely exasperated with the dealer before the warranty expires.

What the dealer doesn't know is that I would dearly love to purchase a brand new Thruxton to go with the Bonnie however it's likely he'll never see that sale if it does happen because of the poor service I've received on the Bonnie. What goes around comes around as they say.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got 'shafted' at my first service

My trusty Triumph dealer charged me $350 for my first (800K) service; no special adjustments or work was done - just the standard changing of the break-in oil and bolt tightenings.:mad:

Even worse, the invoice stated that the bike had been cleaned - which it hadn't, and which they acknowledged hadn't - I didn't argue or complain ... but needless to say I wont be going there for the 10K service.

Charlie at Kensington - here I come! (I hope he's still there:confused:)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just picked up the bonnie after its 10000 k service-200 bucks,they even washed it and replaced one of the seat bolts :) J.B.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
My trusty Triumph dealer charged me $350 for my first (800K) service; no special adjustments or work was done - just the standard changing of the break-in oil and bolt tightenings.:mad:

... but needless to say I wont be going there for the 10K service.
same here, and the 20,000 and the 30,000 and the..... never went back after the 800 Klick service.

just doing it myself at 10,000 Klick intervals.

as far as I'm concerned having it serviced by the dealer is just paying for a warranty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
'Stooged' by the same dealer.

I see your from Melbourne as well - we probably got 'stooged' by the same dealer.

I'm taking it to the dealer during the warranty period so that if anything goes wrong during that time the dealer wont be able to blame another repairer and try to dishonour the warranty coverage.

Geez $350 hurts, though when I hear most people paying under $200. It would've been a 30 minute apprentice's job, and max $50 in oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I see your from Melbourne as well - we probably got 'stooged' by the same dealer.

I'm taking it to the dealer during the warranty period so that if anything goes wrong during that time the dealer wont be able to blame another repairer and try to dishonour the warranty coverage.

Geez $350 hurts, though when I hear most people paying under $200. It would've been a 30 minute apprentice's job, and max $50 in oil and filter.
we got stooged all right.

this is my logic as far as warranty goes.

have the dealer do the first 800 Km service and accept that one is getting shafted. that way you are covered until 10,000 klicks.

my experience with having been involved in things mechanical all my working life is if anything is going to go wrong on a new piece of machinery that warrants a claim it is likely to be within the first few thousand klicks. at 10,000 I feel confident that all the bugs have been ironed out and anything serious if it was going to happen would have happened by then, so at 10,000 and onwards will take the risk and service it myself

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we got stooged all right.

this is my logic as far as warranty goes.

have the dealer do the first 800 Km service and accept that one is getting shafted. that way you are covered until 10,000 klicks.

my experience with having been involved in things mechanical all my working life is if anything is going to go wrong on a new piece of machinery that warrants a claim it is likely to be within the first few thousand klicks. at 10,000 I feel confident that all the bugs have been ironed out and anything serious if it was going to happen would have happened by then, so at 10,000 and onwards will take the risk and service it myself
Yeh I can dig that,being my first new bike I'm more interested in the warranty and covering my er, ass:) Not that I've had any probs with the dealer-one interesting thing is..and don't quote me,as we were talking about the next service and I handed him my service manual to get STAMPED,he said seeya in 5000 ks? I said er it says right here its 20000ks-er really let me have a look,yeh well we'ed prefer you bring the bike in at 15000 ks but if you got receipts etc etc,anyhoo I'm covered,Ride on Brudder:)J.B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts