Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bikes not even a year old and the sump looks like it's been through sitting outside since WW2. What gives? I keep my bike clean and it lives in a garage. The things corroded and rusty. Anyone else?

What a drag. :mad:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Sump

Must be white metal casings? Why I got a BB & put chromwe covers on. "A lot is caused by disimilar metal" corrosion. A common problem w/ the Bonnes!! My 04 still looks new! If still under warranty- Triumph WILL fix it! If not- well?? I know - it looks awful! Buds Bonne is the same. To fix it - its not a fun / easy tthing! Check some old threads & you may get some simpilar fixes? Good luck.

·
30,533 Posts
Indeed. I ride my Bonnie in a lot of different weather, no corrosion on my oil pan that I can see. Not sure what you have going on there. Pic would sure help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, the sump on the bonnie engine is made of aluminum, so I doubt it's rusty. Maybe you're talking about some other part? got a pic?
I'll get a pic up tomorrow. The bottom of the oil pan/sump is indeed aluminum and is NASTY. The heads of the bolts are all starting to rust not the actual pan itself. I guess I was a little hasty in my description. Still bogus however.

My oil filter is REALLY oily and cruddy too. Is that normal?

·
30,533 Posts
It is entirely possible for chain lube to find its way all the way down to the oil filter and cover it in crap. Depends which brand chain lube you use, and how freely you apply it. I used to apply FAR TOO MUCH and it would get all the way down there and drip off. I am more conservative in my lube application these days. When it's cold, touch the oil filter and feel the scunge - is it sticky? (chain lube) or oily and slippery? (oil). If it's oil. that's not good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll either get flamed for this or most will agree. But I've been told by several bikers of all different types of bikes:

"If it doesn't leak you don't ride it hard enough"

It just takes a little seepage every now and then from around the oil filter or a couple drops left over from an oil change to collect road grime and make it look like crap under there.

One other thing to keep an eye on that could become a big issue is the clutch cover near the starter. On my '02 i developed a pretty significant oil leak there at around 10k mi. Once i went to replace the gasket i noticed the original gasket from the factory was only sealing by about .015"

·
30,533 Posts
"If it doesn't leak you don't ride it hard enough"
I'm not buying that.

Be that as it may, you're right about the quantity - a very small oil leak can pick up road grime and look awful - especially down there. It should be entirely possible to seat the oil filter such that it soes not leak, no matter how hard you ride it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Gosh...I've got 24000 miles on my bonnie and I don't have a clue what the bottom of the pan looks like. I am sure it is covered in grime--I live on a gravel road--but I can't see it when I am riding. I try to keep the painted things clean--at least what I can see, and I also try to keep the engine fins and the oil cooler clean and free of debris. If I have to pull off a fender (mud-guard) for some reason, I usually take the time to clean the bottom side--just to say I have done it.

I agree on the comment about too much chain lube is a very easy thing to do, and it can be very messy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll get a pic up tomorrow. The bottom of the oil pan/sump is indeed aluminum and is NASTY. The heads of the bolts are all starting to rust not the actual pan itself. I guess I was a little hasty in my description. Still bogus however.

My oil filter is REALLY oily and cruddy too. Is that normal?
Are you referring to the pan to the right of the oil filter? When looking at the bike the front wheel is to your right.

Mine looks like pure sh*t. I'm not sure if it is painted or what but it is peeling like it has a sunburn. Haven't looked at the bolts but will take a look.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
dont know about this particular issue, but corrossion can be caused around the sump plug if the wrong material washer is used to seal the plug. say copper, as being a dissimilar material to aluminium it will cause the aluminium to corode into a white powder.

that is why it is important to use a aluminium washer.

as far as my sump case goes, it's always covered in oil that has leaked out of the neutral switch so it will never rust.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If there's any correlation between the amount of oil on the bottom of one's bike and how hard one rides, I must ride harder than almost anyone. The bottom of mine looks like the progeny of a tar pit and a beach.

Meh.

Slowly tracking leaks and fixing them. They salted the roads like crazy during the last snow, so at least the oil is keeping the rust at bay. If I could see my sump, I'm sure it'd be pristine within its cocoon.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If there's any correlation between the amount of oil on the bottom of one's bike and how hard one rides, I must ride harder than almost anyone. The bottom of mine looks like the progeny of a tar pit and a beach.

Meh.

Slowly tracking leaks and fixing them. They salted the roads like crazy during the last snow, so at least the oil is keeping the rust at bay. If I could see my sump, I'm sure it'd be pristine within its cocoon.
I thought you guys had run outta salt over there ?
1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequlias,etc:)J.B.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Grime/ Crud

My Bonne has always been so dry- I have to dust it off vs wipe it down! The only crud that ever built up wasin the ft sprocket cover- that place ya always forget is there. My buds 05 has corrosion all over the side covers (where the bolts are) & places where a stone hit it. I saw that clear coat when I got mine & decided to go w the BB & the rest myself! The rust on all the galv parts is another story! On the black paint- i use a Q-tip w/ black paint on it. I dont know what Honda used in the old days- but I never had ANY problems w/ them ever!!Now ALL blocks are black so I guess they solved the problem now?
Living on the Ocean isnt a big help in keeping the shiny parts shiny! Why 3 of us rent a garage 4 mi away.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
photos

In this photo it doesn't look completely terrible but notice the clear difference between the two cases which are supposed to made of the same material. Weird.

A lot of road grime for sure but here is another angle also showing the cruddy oil filter

·
30,533 Posts
Ah yes.

The two cases are made of the same material, but the oil pan has a different coating on it (I think), which has become quite pitted. Remember the oil pan is subject to a lot more road grime, crud and wear and tear because of its locale, and this has similarly caused that light patina of rust on the bolt heads. I tend to apply WD40 fairly liberally during cleaning, so I don't really get that, but certainly my oil pan has some normal wear and tear.

The crud on your oil filter looks to have originated elsewhere - you can see it blowing backwards from the front of your oil pan, so I don't think your oil filter is leaking. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from though.

Doesn't look that bad to me. The hard to reach and out of sight areas like that often end up looking like that, unless you are VERY meticulous on cleaning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it is just a poor quality part. My bike was purchased in Oct. and only has 1300 miles and it looked like this at the first 600 mile oil change. I put 600 miles on it within the first month. It has never been ridden in the rain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Doesn't look that bad to me. The hard to reach and out of sight areas like that often end up looking like that, unless you are VERY meticulous on cleaning.
I know a guy who cleans his bikes with q-tips. Literally. His daily rider (a DL650) is coming up on 25,000 miles in 9 months, and not a seal on that thing even weeps. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor. May have kept himself out of a big dollar repair on his Duc too when he found some seal leaking just slightly and had a ready-to-fail oil pump replaced. If the bike wasn't immaculate, he'd never have noticed.

He said of my bike, "It looks like you bury it in a hole in the ground at night, and it claws its way out- zombie style- every morning." (This was after two days of riding on wet, salty roads... it's usually not that bad.)

Back to the problem at hand, unless I'm just entirely wrong, even the silver cases are painted, which is why they don't corrode. The sump isn't, so it does.

May have been hit with Simple Green at some point, since people like to use the stuff to clean engines for some reason, even though it's not nice to aluminum. Since the bolts are rusted too, I'd assume that you've just picked up salt from somewhere, and probably didn't meticulously clean the bottom of the bike. It's aluminum, so the oxide coating with protect the rest of the piece.

You could pull the sump, clean it up, and clear it, and it'd probably hold up better. Replace the bolts with some cad-plated ones while you're at it.

Or... y'know... just ride the bike and don't worry about it.

·
30,533 Posts
There you are - some folks are very picky that way. They certainly have good looking bikes as a result. I am not all that concerned about the oil pan. Mine stays in good shape because I clean around it for removing the oil filter, but it's not pristine. Riderideride, clean when there's time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts