Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some really nice small driving lights that are only 1 watt and I had them wired on my 865 Speedmaster to the switched live taken from the accessory connector under the tank and that was great. I would like to fit them to my new 2018 Speedmaster and I am getting very frustrated trying to find a convenient switched live wire to tap off from........ my best bet I think is the DRL wire at the headlight connector...... but why this has to be halfway down the bike under the tank and not in the headlight shell I do not know. I hate cutting original wiring but could use some Positap connectors on the wires just on the headlight side of the connector block (under the tank). It's just there isn't a lot of space.
The original accessory outlet loom I have used for a DIN plug socket ..but this is permanently live so no good for the lights.
Has anyone any ideas better than this? Why don't the manufacturers help us more?
Cheers, Ippikin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
If anyone is interested I have wired in the lights. Connected the positive to the 12V switched live connected to the DRL under the tank (the blue wire at the headlamp connector block) with a Positap connector. Negative was to the negative wire from my horn relay with another Positap. Light wires taken up and into the back of the headlight shell. All working well and I think will increase my presence on the road. For 1W lights they are incredibly bright!

·
Registered
123 Posts
those look great, i miss the spots on my roadking. i ran them all the time in order to be more visible on the road. where did you get the lights and brackets?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
So you are in the UK? Can you find a link for the same lights in the US? I'm looking myself....

TIA,

GN

If anyone is interested I have wired in the lights. Connected the positive to the 12V switched live connected to the DRL under the tank (the blue wire at the headlamp connector block) with a Positap connector. Negative was to the negative wire from my horn relay with another Positap. Light wires taken up and into the back of the headlight shell. All working well and I think will increase my presence on the road. For 1W lights they are incredibly bright!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here you go Steve. I have mounted them on the forks using some brackets from Motone Customs. View attachment 720384 View attachment 720385 View attachment 720386 View attachment 720387
Very cool. I have an '07 Speedmaster, the last year they were carb'd I believe. Great looking bike. I bet those are very handy at night and for visibility, and I'd like to do a similar setup. Also, I did a modulator (I'm in the US) as I was having folks turn in front of me and having some close calls on a number of occasions (there's a light sensor wired in through one of the tank push-outs so it doesn't run at night), but recognize how obnoxious they are and have it off except for a particular stretch of road. Have not had issues since. I also plan to ride the same stretch regularly with my '69 Trophy 250 but can't bring myself to put a modulator on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you are in the UK? Can you find a link for the same lights in the US? I'm looking myself....

TIA,

GN
Dear Tia, I am sorry but I cannot find these lights on Amazon.com....only on Amazon.co.uk (sold by Alchemy Parts in the UK). They might ship to the US perhaps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts