Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys any recommendations for a good place to buy Bolts in the UK?
In general, bolts are something I like to replace in the Bonnie for something with more tensile strength and that don't have the oxidation characteristics of a leaf

Example this ones that attach the cluster to the bike I think are M5x20

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys this might the place i was looking for, however, apart from kits, I find it hard to search for certain bolt measurements on ProBolt

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ordered some M5x20 Bolts but the threads are not the same :/ can't find what bolts iam supposed to buy for this

according to what i find triumph uses the thread 1.0 for this kind of application right?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Think you may find that those bolts are M6x1. Hard to tell from the pics but I don't think M5 would be used there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey MILL_PT again

That looks more like aluminium corrosion - the white dusty stuff.

If you are looking to change the bolt in your picture there is no need . A 2.7 stamped on the head means its stainless steel.
Also AFAIK stainless steel bolts are more brittle than steel.

Jon

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Hey MILL_PT again

That looks more like aluminium corrosion - the white dusty stuff.

If you are looking to change the bolt in your picture there is no need . A 2.7 stamped on the head means its stainless steel.
Yep, A2 a.k.a 304 stainless, will tarnish and chemically corrode. A better choice is A4, a.k.a 316 or marine grade, which has a molybdenum content making it resistant to the chemical corrosion. 304 is usually magnetic but 316 is not.

ANY dissimilar metals will corrode with the addition of moisture, after all those are the elements required to make a battery, the moisture acts as the electrolyte and basically the corrosion is the product of electro plating.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
While labor intensive, you may lubricate the threads prior to assembly. Caveat~ Reduce your torque settings by 30% if you do this, as the torque values usually given are for "dry" threads. This should minimize corrosion. Lastly, to minimize corrosion on the exposed screw heads, you might apply gloss black paint. (I use finger nail polish for my zinc coated hardware.) Lasts about 2-5 years, depending on miles ridden.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yep, A2 a.k.a 304 stainless, will tarnish and chemically corrode. A better choice is A4, a.k.a 316 or marine grade, which has a molybdenum content making it resistant to the chemical corrosion. 304 is usually magnetic but 316 is not.

ANY dissimilar metals will corrode with the addition of moisture, after all those are the elements required to make a battery, the moisture acts as the electrolyte and basically the corrosion is the product of electro plating.
Both 304 and 316 stainless steel are austenitic. All Austenitic stainless steels are essentially non-magnetic. Austenite has a non-magnetic face centered crystal structure that is not stable in carbon steels at room temperature. When cold worked austenitic stainless steels will have a limited amount of austenite transform to stable ferrite (body centered crystal structure) which is magnetic. Stainless steel bolts (304 and 316) are cold worked when the bolt head and threads are formed making them slightly magnetic.

The requirements for galvanic corrosion are two dissimilar metals, an electric connection and an ion path. Corrosion can be stopped with electrical insulation between the two dissimilar metals or prevention of an ion path such as a thread sealant (anti seize works well).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found it guys!!!! the holly Grail

THE 1 STOP SHOP FOR BOLTS
https://www.accu.co.uk

I hope this will help you guys changing your bolts to some good quality A4 SS Bolts :beerchug

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:badum XD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts