Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fo no reason the bike wont kick over. rode it one day then went to sart it the next and it just cranks and cranks! Sometimes it just makes a spinning sound (upload to follow later)
***! Check it on TB and no errors What gives!!!!!!
It sounds like i'm covering the pipes as i crank it. Then a few times now it has just made a spinning sound. Back in Oct I complained about it not turning over(warm starts), but it was a different sound- then Triumph honored it and put some "starter clutch kit" in it. Now its just not kicking over at all and the occasional spinning sound.
Anyopne else had this problem or better yet knows what is going on?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Check all you can, plugs, hoses, etc. then take it back to the dealer, Triumph are normally pretty good at covering genuine issues even after the warranty has expired, 1 month shouldn't be an issue me thinks!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
My older S3 has 3 or 4 relays that are EXACTLY the same. Look at yours and see which match. Turn bike off (I've done it with mine running without mishap though) and swap identical relays (suggest not moving anything till marking which relay/ socket combo originally goes where with Sharpie). Take your time. Do you hear a "swoosh" or fuel pressurizing in system when key turned on? What about fuses? Battery (which could have been improperly "initially charged", dropped or otherwise mishandled at some point?) may have enough juice to turn but not fire? If dealer botched starter clutch install that could be it too, but I'd start with more simple diagnostic. Without knowing why starter clutch changed, I'd gamble there was nothing wrong with original in first place. Get second opinion at another dealer if possible. Nice bike, hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
How can you surmise at a reason when he plainly stated there was, "no reason" for the no start condition? ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
the battery would definatly be something to investigate. is it possible there may be somthing wrong with the starter? i.e. teeth worn. a few pushes of the starter button when bike is already running might cause a problem????

·
Registered
83 Posts
As above. It sounds like a starter motor problem to me. Also double check the battery and make sure its not a fuel issue, you should hear the pump buzzing when the ignition is first switched on. From how you've explained it though, id bet on the starter. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had an hour to myself last weekend to run and get a battery. i didn't even know my dealer provides "Lifetime Warranty" on all bikes sold! What luck! I could hav got it basically free but to get the lifetime on the new one I had to pay $60 which i thought was worth it.
So i got home just before nightfall praying this was the answer = NO DICE= fuq me! I tried to take a vid with my cam but holding the camera, clutch, and starter button made it tough. I'm told from other people the starter is not engaging the flywheel. I called the dealer that put in the clutch starter kit last Nov that Triumph honored due to the warm start issue. The dealer stated it might be a bendix issue as well. What the hell is a bendix and would'nt it have been in the starter clutch kit back in Nov?
The dealer said they cant see it till next week- i'm going thru withdrawls
]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would agree that it sounds like the starter is not engaging. Try doing a rolling start, if it is the starter, you should be able to start it this way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clank Whizzz

I sympathize, my 05S3 is not on the road for the same reason, same sounds. I joined triumph rat to learn from those of you experienced with this err. S3 personality trait after the local part dept. told me a starter clutch kit costs $450 and the starter motor $600.

I'll be following this thread and will post my progress. Cheers, J

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the engine is physically turning over:
It could be part of the kickstand neutral safety interlock system, or the engine management fuse/ main power relay on the 04 it feeds all three coils and injectors. either will have the engine cranking with nary a cough

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well last Friday I finally dropped off my bike and today the Dealer said it is the same problem I had last fall with the warm starts= sprag. They hashed it out with Triumph and they are going to honor it as a warranty claim. Sweet! I aint gotta pay nothing!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Let us know what the problem turned out to be so we know what to check if our bikes do the same thing down the line.

It sounds to me like a bad starter based on your video.
I have a new 08 and it runs great....just a little hot on the temp.

matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sprag clutch???
Sounds like you got the same problems i had, and thats whats wrong with mine. If so, do what i've done and go back to the place where you got it from and see if they will help. Mine was out of warranty but they still agreed to sort it. Also, get in touch with Triumph to see if they will give you the parts as a 'goodwill' gesture. Don't ask, don't get..............
If it is the Sprag Clutch, get the updated kit. Seems like Triumph may have had some issues with it, if you know what i mean.
Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Snap!

Last night I went to start the S3, 3-4 seconds of cranking and SNAP, something lets go with a horrible sound. Try cranking again... nothing but a spinning starter motor. I've just called Triumph USA and left a voice mail for one "Peter Carillo(?)". This should be a recall item.

I bought the bike used, it's an 06. The only dealer close to me that I'd consider letting them touch it is closed today. I will keep this thread posted on my findings. Anyone with more info, comments, etc. please post.

Tom:mad:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sprag clutch on starter motor. I had the same problem on my 05 S3 with one month remaining on warranty. Went on a factory vsit to Triumph and she gave up just before we got there. Changed the sprag clutch and had no problems since. Just a thought.
Ray

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i got my bike back last Thursday. Didn't get to speak to the mech but the service desk guy said it was the sprag clutch and gear again. Triumph honored it and they asked the dealer to send it to them. So the first time around (last fall) it was replaced and then now (two months after warranty....what if it happens again in 9 months? Wonder if Triumph will replace it then?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sprag Clutch

So its this little doohickey that is giving Triumph a pain in their arse. Anyone have an email addy for one Peter Carillo(sp?) at Triumph USA?

I need to find the missing fourth tooth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts