Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On almost every post I have seen regarding risers, I don't see a great deal of information on what year machine people are referring to, so am inconclusive in my search for answers.

I have purchased a set of 1 inch Risers to fit to a 2014 Sprint GT SE. I am expecting, having read plenty of posts, to only really run in to two problems - the clutch cable may (will) need rerouting or replacing and bars may or may not foul on the fairing (much ambiguity on this).

I read one post that suggested replacing the clutch cable with one from a Tiger 1050, but no idea on part number.

I'm not expecting issues with brake lines or wiring.

Any experience and advice of fitting 1 inch risers on this specific bike?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I remember somebody asking the same question a while back. So the search feature may give you the answer.
Regarding the part number, have a look to worldoftriumph or bikebandit.
May be good to reroute the wires to avoid excessive traction on them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I Have 25mm risers on my 2010 GT. Kept standard clutch cable but did reroute it a little. Electric cables to bars I took the connection blocks off the fairing points they clip to and cable-tied them to give a bit more slack. The levers both touched the fairing at full lock. But by wrenching bars away from fairing as clamp bolts are tightened and also slacken the fairing fixing bolts and lift fairing a bit as bolts are re-tightened, this stopped levers touching. I think I had to reset the headlight aim down a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... Unlucky. Seems odd that some people report issues with fouling on the fairing and some say they don't have any issues. There's nothing different? Perhaps the design of the risers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cannot see that any design change can make a change if its still 25mm. mine are homemade and do not have a grubscrew as i saw in one set advertised but clamps to the leg (like the bars clamped) and to a spacer part that extends leg upward also for the bar to clamp on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I'd have thought too. I'll find out soon enough I suppose. Some list as raising 1”, and some say raise 1” and bring 1 1/2" closer to rider. I find the latter hard to believe, and suspect it is simply raise by 1" and that might be somewhat like the equivalent of 1 1/2" closer given the angle.

What is guaranteed, is that what should be a simple job won't turn out to be so. Will update when I receive and have first attempt at fitting them - weather and time permitting.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I can't see how a riser would bring the bars closer and I think you're right about simple jobs not turning out that way!
I looked to see if the 955 Tiger clutch lever was the same as the GT but nope. Even so, I'm guessing any of the Tiger clutch cables would work out fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
10.16 mm closer if I got it right. The risers at 25 mm are on the legs which I think are at 24.degrees. So that's the hypotenuse then the bottom of the triangle is the bit coming closer which may or may not be 10.16mm closer.to the rider. Fingers crossed for you Mendosa

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Exactly. 25 mm sin(24°) = 10.16 mm closer on an horizontal projection.
Note that what counts is closer to the rider shoulders so it depends on the pilot body proportions (if we want to be really picky :geek:).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad you reckon my maths worked Fred. As you say it depends on the riders proportions. My Gt is an early one, 2010, with the short screen.Before having the risers the wind hit central on my head, which was annoying. I got a secondhand Higher screen, possibly a SE, which lifted the wind up higher and helped. Then I put risers on and the wind was back to annoying in the middle of my head. Went back to the low screen and the wind is on my throat more and found that the best available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On almost every post I have seen regarding risers, I don't see a great deal of information on what year machine people are referring to, so am inconclusive in my search for answers.

I have purchased a set of 1 inch Risers to fit to a 2014 Sprint GT SE. I am expecting, having read plenty of posts, to only really run in to two problems - the clutch cable may (will) need rerouting or replacing and bars may or may not foul on the fairing (much ambiguity on this).

I read one post that suggested replacing the clutch cable with one from a Tiger 1050, but no idea on part number.

I fitted some to my 2011 GT last week. No cable problems or fairing problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts

ive fitted 1inch raisers on my 14 sprint and found that there is a little adjustment on most places. I did however file out the hole in the handlebars that prevents rotating the switch gear handles. There’s a little spigot that engages with this hole. Clutch cable was no problem but did change the routing down to the clutch. Had the tank anyways.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One of the first mods I made when I bought my 2015 Sprint GT last April was to fit Bar Risers. The type I fitted are "Trick-Bitz-Risers" made by Gemma Wright Proline Engineering of Elmswell, Bury St Edmunds UK. They are 1" (25.4mm) thick and came with a very neat alloy Cap which gives an appearance of originality. When fitted the Clutch Cable was extremely tight and strained on full "left" lock. I re-routed the cable to pass "behind" the Ignition/Steering lock and this is now acceptable. There is very light "contact" between the left (clutch) side handlebar switch assembly and the underside edge of the Fairing. There again this is acceptable. There is no contact at the other side (between the Throttle Cable Drum and the Fairing underside). Like Patslegg I pulled the Bars fully to the rear during tightening of the Screws.
I also freed up the Electrical cable which passes down the side of the Glovebox as this was a bit on the tight side.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just contemplating fitting risers to my 2015 GT and have read the many conflicting reports on cable compatibility and switch gear contact with the fairing. Not withstanding the affect on steering and handling, would raising the forks in the triple clamps adjust out any clearance/cable problems albeit reduce the amount of rise?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No need to get to too concerned with "cable compatibility" etc. I fitted the 1" risers as detailed above without any insurmountable problems to a satisfactory conclusion. It's a bit extreme and unnecessary to consider raising the fork tubes through the Triple Clamps.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looking at it, my suggestion of sliding the forks in the triple clamps was daft anyway. It wouldn't have any affect on cable clearance etc.

I went ahead and fitted Trick Bitz Risers and initially found that the clutch cable was too tight on a full left handlebar movement. Looking at the problem, I noticed like Our Gee, from the factory, the cable was routed forward of the ignition barrel and wiring connection. I re routed it between the barrel and the headstock and this completely eliminated the tightness in the clutch cable and also its contact with the wiring from the ignition barrel.

The left hand switch assembly does slightly brush the underside of the fairing on full right lock. However, it's minimal and I can live with it.

Overall, I really like the design of the Trick Bitz Risers and they almost enhance the looks of the upper forks and bars. The riding position is now much improved and actually takes my helmet/head position into less turbulent air flow, so, win win.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad to hear you have a satisfactory result Pickaxe. Agree with your comments regarding the appearance of the Trick-Bitz-Risers, they are very neat. It might be an idea to see if there is anything to be gained by slackening off the Upper Fairing (Cockpit in Triumph Talk) mounting fasteners seeing if there is any upward movement before re-tightening. This may give that extra millimetre or so of clearance when on full lock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts