Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am stoked for this forum! I've learned a ton about my Triumph before I even bought one and it's helped me with all my minor mods, thanks for all the wise tips!

My problem - Bike fell over while running in neutral (don't ask, I was distracted and neglected to put the kickstand down before dismount) It fell slow, basically a guided fall since I was trying too late to keep it upright, but hard enough to turn the mirror out of position and crack the clutch lever. It then it shut off on it's own as I was picking it back up. Looked it over and found no major body damage just a small scratch on my left pipe. I figured no big deal, I replaced the lever and all should be good...nope. I get on the bike, pull the stand up, turn the key, headlight comes on, all the normal lights in the panel come on and the fuel pump kicks on (EFI Thruxton) tranny's in neutral, I've got the clutch lever pulled in, push the ignition button then it cuts out as if I'm in gear with the kickstand down. Tried many times, different variations of the "correct" start procedures and the same thing happens. One big click, no vroom.

- How can I tell if it's the switch for the kickstand? Could that slow of a drop affect it?
- Could it be the switch to the clutch lever, since that's the only part of the bike connected to the part that actually hit the ground..how do I check that?
- What else could cause it not to start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MIB

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My vote goes for the clutch lever interlock switch for obvious reasons. Does the plunger still move smoothly or is the switch now misaligned? You could always remove and bypass it to test.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Might be as simple as the kill switch in the OFF position.
If the kill switch is in the OFF position you don't get any lights on the dash or a click from the starter solenoid as reported by the original poster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks PAAS, I did a visual check on the clutch lever interlock switch after I replaced the lever. The pin seems to move back and forth smoothly but since I never checked it out prior I don't have anything to compare it to. How do I bypass the switch, is taking apart the whole clutch lever assembly and off the handlebar necessary? Or can I just pull it out? (sorry for the naive questions, I am waiting for a current shop manual)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fall detection switch-how to reset

Per the Triumph factory Service Manual (Issue 1 dtd May 2007),page 10B.18:, applying to fuel-injected Bonnies:

"Fall detection switch-situated under the seat. The fall detection switch will detect if the motorcycle is on its side and will cut power to the ECM immediately.This prevents the engine from running and the fuel pump from delivering fuel. In the event of a fall, the switch is reset by returning the bike to an upright posistion and switching the ignition off and then on again."

I hope that this information is helpful.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is this switch present in carb'd thruxtons? Mine fell over, also had to replace clutch lever and it will only start while in neutral

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Is this switch present in carb'd thruxtons? Mine fell over, also had to replace clutch lever and it will only start while in neutral

Which switch? There's no fall detection switch (sensor) on a carbed Thruxton, but it does have a switch to detect if the clutch lever has been pulled so that it can be started in gear. Sounds like yours needs some attention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts