Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I received some quotes from two different dealers for two different bikes, and wanted to know what people are paying for their 09 Thruxtons, or what was included in with the purchase.

The first quote I received was $10k for a Monster 696, although I am admittedly more interested in a Thruxton by far.

The second quote I received was for a 09 Black Thruxton for $10,300, which we quickly dismissed in favor of $10,000. I was not very happy with this at all, considering the MSRP is $8,599, but each bike sells differently.

One benchmark I use is www.otdcyclesports.com. They simply focus on otd pricing, and that's it. Their online pricing shows the 09 Thruxton at $9,200!!! That is a huge difference to me!

I live in Sacramento, and would prefer to buy from the dealer here, Performance Cycle, but I'm also looking for a good deal. I really want a new bike, but with the economy the way it is, I don't want to overspend because I shouldn't be buying this bike anyways haha.

What would you say is reasonable here?

PS: Their first maintenance is $200.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Regarding the Thruxton:

It looks like you've done your homework, and already found the answer. I agree that $9200 is a reasonable OTD figure. That amounts to a few c-notes less than MSRP... fair price. Whereas, paying 10 grand OTD is probably $500 over MSRP... no way.

·
30,525 Posts
It's good that you checked into the first service cost - that is an area you can save some dough. The first service doesn't cost them that much, so see if you can negotiate the labour part of it into the bike purchase. I did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys,

I really hate negotiating and I think I'm just going to stick to my guns on this one.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey dude... if you don't mind buying a lightly used bike I saw this 2006 Thruxton for $6000 on Craigslist in the SAC area. Hey, in this economy if you can save $4000 with a phone call it's good bidness!

Seems like a great deal if I was lookin' for a Thruxxie in nor CA. But then, I'm a bit partial to the Caspian Blue '06 Thruxtons as you all know. Hehehe

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1065210120.html

I have NO affiliation with this sale, although... I wish I did... hmmm, some sort of commission would be nice! Yeah, right!

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I paid full dealer price - £6200 - last Oct - but there was a trade-in of the bonnie and that included transferring some bits over and putting new bits on. I always think it is worth sticking with a local dealer, asking for the best price, haggle a bit, but give them the business because when you go back time and again as you will, they should look after you, even if it is for a coffee and chat and you can discuss issues or get them to help you out. It pays, I think, to support your dealer and they will support you, rather than get the cheapest deal. The law of reciprocity is a good law.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I can't imagine paying MSRP for ANYTHING in today's economy...

If you've already got the financing set up (so you're not going through them) then I would go to your local dealer, and tell them that you'd like to support them, but you're not going to pay a ton more to do it. Tell them that you can get the bike you want for X, but you're willing to pay them X+ whatever seems reasonable to you. If they don't want to make the deal it's pretty simple.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can't imagine paying MSRP for ANYTHING in today's economy...

If you've already got the financing set up (so you're not going through them) then I would go to your local dealer, and tell them that you'd like to support them, but you're not going to pay a ton more to do it. Tell them that you can get the bike you want for X, but you're willing to pay them X+ whatever seems reasonable to you. If they don't want to make the deal it's pretty simple.

+1.

EXACTLY.

If OTD has it for $9200, just tell your dealer you want it for that much and if not, buy it at OTD.

You should be able to get a few extras thrown on too at the other dealer too, like exhaust, first service, etc. If you have a good relationship with him he knows he'll get you later for all the mods anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Hey Sofia,

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but if I want to get a new Thruxton or T100 over here, I'll have to fork out nearly 9000 euros. If i come back to Blighty, I get one for under 6000. Loyalty is all well and good, but they aren't taking me for a 50% ride.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hey Sofia,

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but if I want to get a new Thruxton or T100 over here, I'll have to fork out nearly 9000 euros. If i come back to Blighty, I get one for under 6000. Loyalty is all well and good, but they aren't taking me for a 50% ride.

Hey bobbo - to avoid confusion - that was the new all in on the road price ie £6200. I was happy to pay the OTR because the deal included lots of workshop time and a good trade-in price.

To get under 6000 euros - or around £5500 - you would be buying previous year stock or you have a deal we dont know about!

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Nope, brand new for 5k (may be last years unregistered stock), although I thought list price on a T100 was a smidge under 6K. Still a sizeable wedge under 9000 euros.
Actually, tempting though the deal on the new is, I'm more considering coming over to get a second hand model, as second hand over here start at 6000€ for a 2005 Bonnie. I can get that in the UK for 3500 pounds

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Nope, brand new for 5k (may be last years unregistered stock), although I thought list price on a T100 was a smidge under 6K. Still a sizeable wedge under 9000 euros.
Actually, tempting though the deal on the new is, I'm more considering coming over to get a second hand model, as second hand over here start at 6000€ for a 2005 Bonnie. I can get that in the UK for 3500 pounds

T100 list is £6119 same as Thruxton.
If you can get a T100 for £5000 you would be on the deal of the year as it will come with 2 year warranty. But I suspect there will be caveats eg it is a demonstrator / old old new stock etc
I am not so price sensitive as others - more concerned about a fair deal plus the dealer relationship and support - always found that intangible to be worth more than saving the odd hundred here and there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts