Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local Triumph dealer in So. Cal. and they told me that the new Thruxton handlebars are unavailable to order from the factory currently. Does anyone know otherwise??

Could someone recommend the next best thing? I've been looking at ace bars (and like them) but those '09 Thrux bars are just what I'm looking for! If anyone out there bought a new '09 Thruxton and has replaced the bars, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thruxton 2009 handlebars

I 've seen the 2009 Thruxton handlebar set up and is really nice. I've also considered the swap to my '07 Bonnie. To me they kind of look like the Norman Hyde M style bars turn upside down on a little taller risers than the stock Bonnie risers!

·
Registered
445 Posts
M Bars!

I've been looking at ace bars (and like them) but those '09 Thrux bars are just what I'm looking for!
I bet you'd like the Norman Hyde M Bars. I recently put them on and think they're perfect - a bit more aggressive in position, but not painstakingly so.

Newbonneville got them to me in 6 days, that included a weekend and Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Norman Hyde M bars

I bet you'd like the Norman Hyde M Bars. I recently put them on and think they're perfect - a bit more aggressive in position, but not painstakingly so.
You think the M bars are more aggressive than the Thruxton bars? When you're on a site like Newbonneville.com, etc, they don't always show the bars in the positions I would like them mounted (they always show the ACE bars upside down as far as I'm concerned).

Do you have any pictures of the bars mounted on your bike Teachnsurf? I'd love to check them out.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
445 Posts
M Bars Compared to Stock Bonnie Bars

You think the M bars are more aggressive than the Thruxton bars? When you're on a site like Newbonneville.com, etc, they don't always show the bars in the positions I would like them mounted (they always show the ACE bars upside down as far as I'm concerned).

Thanks for the post!
My comparison was to stock Bonnie bars. I mounted the M Bars rise side up. I'm really please with the forward riding position, the angle of my wrists, and the responsiveness to steering. Now it's time for front springs.

I'll post a picture sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I put Hyde M bars on my bonnie.
I sold the bike - and the bars are now in Texas somewhere1
I recently bought the 09 Thrux - for which a key consideration, in fact one of the most important points - was the new bars.
They are great - but as an earlier post said, very similar to M bars, but upside down. In fact that is a very good description.
I have rotated the bars up about 10 degrees from the position supplied at stock, and have to say, they are great.
But I loved the M bars, so you will NOT go wrong buying them and the tube diameter is the same, so you can put bar end weights on to dampen the vibration at speed.
Let us know what you do, and how you get on.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
My 07 Thruxton came with a Norman Hyde conversion kit and M bars mouted rise side up. I've flipped them upside down and can confirm they feel very like the 09 Thruxton. The conv for a Thruxton means 7/8ths bars not 1 inch but I can't say that bothers me. They feel great though look a bit odd to my eyes. But if you want the bar position of the new Thruxton then go for M bars fitted upside down. You'll like em.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Just so everyone is clear on this:

The 2009 Thruxtons with tubular handlebars (read: not clip-on's) use 1" diameter handlebars (conspicuously shaped like Norman Hyde M-Bars in the droop position). They also use the 2001-current Std/T100-spec hand controls, cables (albeit shorter), levers and grips.

So if you have this model motorcycle, first-off, congrats, and secondly any of the handlebars, levers, cables and hand grips for a 2001 to current Standard/T100, fit your bike. This makes raising the handlebars very easy.

What I do not know... and would love to hear from 09 owners, is if the holes in the hand controls are there for the std/T100 mirrors? Also, did they use the master cylinder off a std/T100, or a Rocket III (bigger bore for twin rotors)?

/Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
m-bar picture

Ditto all the mentions of similarity between m-bars and 09 thrux bars. Here's a pic of upside-down m-bars on my bonnie:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M-bars vs. New Thruxton Bars

Just so everyone is clear on this:

The 2009 Thruxtons with tubular handlebars (read: not clip-on's) use 1" diameter handlebars (conspicuously shaped like Norman Hyde M-Bars in the droop position). They also use the 2001-current Std/T100-spec hand controls, cables (albeit shorter), levers and grips.

/Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the clarification but I would still have to say that the M-Bars still look much wider. If I am looking for the next best thing to actual clip-ons, would you say Ace bars are the only other option? Something like this?:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Mirror holes answer

Mike - if I understand you correctly - yes, the holes in the control/brake assembly mountings are there - just capped with some plastic. So you can, as I have done, put standard mirrors on and get rid of the bar end mirrors. I bought the chrome Triumph after market ones, around £95 (I know, I feel the pain still)

Plus points:
1. You can thread through traffic and maneovering the garage etc is correspondingly easier

Downsides:
1. Peripheral and wide vision is severely restricted. Bar end mirrors are much better.
2. They do not seem symetrically sited - in other words, they are not in exactly the same positions either side of the dials (if that makes sense)
3. You have to stretch to get a proper rear view - the bonnie view is much better but you are of course higher on the Thrux.

Conclusion? If doing out of town riding, keep the bar end mirrors. If in town, consider mirror extensions - which is what I might do.

As to the M bars - having had them as wel on the Bonnie, I am fairly sure they are wider - perhaps by only an inch or so. I lined them up to the Thrux 09 bars in situ, and seem to recall they were just a bit wider. The bend is not identical, but it is near enough, and they are a damn good set of bars.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have an M bar on my Bonneville - right side up. Sat on a new Thrux recently and the bars are definitely narrower, at least an inch if not more. They seemed like a little M bar! If they come on the market, I'd certainly check them out.
Bar end mirrors are way cool, but I don't like 'em stuck out so I positioned my single mirror inward:

I get a very clear view with it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
After studying the photos some more, it does appear that the 09 Thruxton bars have more rise(/drop) than the M-Bars, and seem to be closer to the Ace Bars in terms of ergonomics.

I wonder if there is enough slack in the cables & hose to flip the stock Thrux bars?

/Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I thought I'd revisit this thread as I have successfully installed the '09 Thruxton bar on my '05 Bonnie. Overall, everything is great. All cables fit fine and it was an easy swap. I chose to mount the bars as low as possible and if I am not careful, the bars will hit the tank or pinch my fingers. Honestly, I am already so used to it, it's a non-issue.

When I went to install my Napoleon bar end mirrors I got hung-up with the factory tabs that are tack welded inside the bars. After reading through a few other threads on here, I saw one person who said that they just drilled them out. Long story short, I am still riding mirrorless at the moment. I know, not the smartest idea for someone who commutes on his bike (in So Cal of all places) but I cannot find a set-up that I am happy with. I must do something soon. Looking for a way to mount the s3 bar end mirrors to the Thrux bars, but look for a new thread to follow that issue...

Here's a couple of shot of the bars installed:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've put the new 09 Thruxton handlebars and bar end mirrors on my 09 T100 and love them. I've got them installed upside down and they seem to provide the perfect amount of forward lean for me. I've not ever used the M-Bars so I don't know if they're more agressive or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thruxton Bars

I just bought a 2009 Thruxton. I had the dealer order T-100 bars and intend to change out the stock bars. Even though the 09 is more upright than the previous models, I still found them to be too low for anything more than a short ride for my tastes. I'll let you know how it works out after I get them on the bike. Love the bike so far.

So if you have this model motorcycle, first-off, congrats, and secondly any of the handlebars, levers, cables and hand grips for a 2001 to current Standard/T100, fit your bike. This makes raising the handlebars very easy.

What I do not know... and would love to hear from 09 owners, is if the holes in the hand controls are there for the std/T100 mirrors? Also, did they use the master cylinder off a std/T100, or a Rocket III (bigger bore for twin rotors)?

/Mike[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I also just bought a new Thruxton. The bar is like a narrow M bar. I flipped mine from stock and pivoted them down a bit because I found the original set up too low. While it was off, I put an NH Mbar on to see how it looked. Don't think the cables are long enough. Did not do any rerouting to find out for sure, but did scope it out carefully - can't imagine them fitting to an M bar or a stock.
I will play a bit more with it. I think the M would look good, and the extra width would, it seems , be comfortable and maybe make turning a bit better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Flipped bars, but less rake? dropped forks...

Apologies for dragging up an old one, but rather than re-post.
I'm running the standard bars as per photo. I was hoping to swap them out for a pair of bonneville similar bars, but flipped over... so the height would then instead drop me a few inches in the front.

I bought these.
bonneville bars.JPG

But... the backwards rake/sweep on bars like this is far too much than what i was after. Can anyone suggest a 1" bar that has a 2-3" rise but has really minimal backwards rake? So that it works better upside down. (in fact, what is the rake on the bonneville bars? 120mm?)

For example, even these seem to have too much for my needs:
https://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=181 (and wouldn't work due to the cross bar).

I was also hoping to pull my forks through 2 inches. But because the risers are literally below the bars... seems like you cant do it. How have people got round this? Any way besides clip ons?

Anyone know if Kenneth Kronqvist is still on the forum? The look of his bike is where/the direction i'd like to go with mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts