Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the information I can gather has led me to believe that it is impossible to order the new tubular bars for the '09 Thrux from the factory. Anyone know how to get a factory set? From all I've been hearing, they are unavailable at this point. I'm trying to imagine...What if you bought a new Thruxton and God forbid have already gone down? You can't get replacement bars?!?! I find that hard to believe. There has to be a way....

Side note - Anyone with a new '09 Thruxton replaced the factory bars yet? I'd be happy to take them off your hands B-)

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Heres the factory phone number. 01455 251 700

Just add +44 and remove first zero if youre dialing international. Why not get the truth straight from the horses mouth? They seem quite happy to answer customers.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Forget the factory - order Norman Hydes M shaped bars. They are marginally wider, but very similar profile plus you can add bar end weights, mirrors etc. Invert them and you will have as close to Thrux bars as you can get.

Transferable to the Bonnie as well, should you wish. I had them on my bonnie, and now have an 09 Thrux. There is little to distinguish between them and you will be more than happy. Mine are now in the USA. New Bonneille or Bella Corse should be able to supply them.

There is another thread on this subject so you might want to review that.

www.normanhyde.co.uk

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What kind of bar do you have on your bike, Bullet? I have only ridden the Hinckely Bonnevilles with stock and M bars. Mmmmmm...love the M bar!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bars

What kind of bar do you have on your bike, Bullet? I have only ridden the Hinckely Bonnevilles with stock and M bars. Mmmmmm...love the M bar!
David, My bike came with aftermarket bars from the pervious owner. I think they are wide Clubmans. They're OK...but not what I want. What do you think of them?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did the bar swap go? What do you think of the 09 bars and how much did the swap cost you??
The actual install was good. In retrospect, I should not have taken it to the dealer for the install but I had never changed the bars on my Triumph and thought it was going to be more difficult. The one caution I will mention is that the Thruxton has different steering stops (not sure if that's the correct term) that stop the bars from hitting the tank. On the Bonnie, they hit - but I told them to mount them as low as possible regardless.

The stupid thing I did was try to drill out the welded in bracket that comes on the stock bars. The Napoleon bar-end mirrors I had didn't fit and instead of trying to work with the existing bracket in place (just finding a damn bolt that fit and shortening the rubber spacer), I thought I would just drill it out. Turns out it has been much more work than anticipated.

Overall, I am very happy with the bars and am glad I got them. I think I would still be happier with clip-ons as I want as low as possible...and really should have just gotten a Thruxton outright. Here is a picture of the bars on my bike:

To answer your question on costs, the bars were about $90 and the install was about the same. A bit steep but that's a Truimph part installed at a Triumph dealer...what else would you expect?!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Pretty tough looking! You have them mounted upside down?
I'll bet they sell a good number of that bar - for those wanting a little more radical than M bars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts