Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am just doing some wiring maintenance on the instrument cluster on my 2009 T100 (front wheel speedo cable model). Basically water has gotten into the wires that come down from the clocks and perished the cables where they join.

I have two wires that go into a small block connector (long black rectangular type) that I don’t think were ever connected to anything. One wire is orange, the other appears to be either gray, or a very very faded pale green with red diagonal dashes.

Does anyone know what this connector is for? I cannot find it in the haynes wiring diagrams.

Regards

·
Registered
246 Posts
In the factory manual there is shown a two wire connector which is red and green/red. It is described as 'Accessory Tachometer A (Scrambler Only)'. I have the same bike as you and have never seen this connector.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if the short section of wiring from the block connector in the headlight to the instrument cluster is just a universal component.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The greyish wire goes into the block connector and changes into black with a silver dash. The orange wire next to it goes into what looks like a black wire.

Apart from identifying that - the actual issue is that the 4 12v bulbs in the tacho and speedo don’t work. Bike runs fine, all the other lights work, just nothing on those bulbs. All fuses test out ok.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Black with a white tracer is the earth for the neutral indicator light. The black is also an earth so that doesn't make sense. Your picture is the instrument loom connector yes?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe so. This is the original wiring - that connector I dont think has ever been attached to anything. Thats why I asked, unless on another model it was.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, it looks like it the connector may be the alarm connector. When I check the haynes manual the colours match the “bonneville/t100 with carb” diagrams. Even though my machine is an EFI.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Does anyone know what this connector is for? I cannot find it in the haynes wiring diagrams.
It appears to be for the alarm LED. I have a '10 SE and it doesn't have this connector, but the hole in the instrument panel is still there, though blanked by a small chrome plastic plug. If I am right, the wires should be from pins 4 and 5 of the instrument connector, which run back to pins 10 and 11 of the alarm connector. The LED I think was only fitted to earlier carbed models.

Your issue with the instrument back lighting is separate. These are powered by the Red/Blue wire from fuse#8. I suggest tracing that wire back, voltage checking at every junction. The Red/Blue wire also runs through the ignition switch, powering fuse#10 via the Red/Orange. Fuse#10 controls the tail light and the small parking bulb in the headlamp. If these light up, both fuses are fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts