Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw one at the dealer. WOW what a nice color.

Must say Triumph did a great job on the 09's with the fake carbs. Was much better looking than I expected.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have to disagree, they are killing the Scrambler......

Having an '06 red and white Scrambler with the union jack cover and tor's is the coolest bike on the market... Triumph made the first mistake when they switched to an all black engine then they started putting on that ugly and bloated tank with plastic badges..... as if that weren't ugly enough, the geniuses in Hincley decided that matt khaki green and flat black should be the only colors available... i can see their appeal as an option, but retro classics need retro classic two tone paint jobs..... i suspect the end is near for the Scrambler and my original red and white '06 with a brushed aluminum engine will be that much more collectible, not that it matters because this bike is a keeper and, to paraphrase Charleton Heston, you will pry this bike from my cold, dead hands...... just a few thoughts from a guy who is lucky enough to ride year round in the florida sunshine.....

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I am not a huge fan of the scram ( I like it, just third out of the Bonnie family) but that green is so amazing. Slap on the brown seat, the brown bags and you have a very beautiful Scrambler!

I would love to see a T-100 in that color. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Love it

I really have to disagree with your disagreement spacecoastrat, I love a blacked out engine. I only have a couple problems with the new scram. 1st, it is absolutely sacreligeous to give a bike like that a blacked out engine and then hang chrome pipes on it. Black out the pipes (or at least the heat guards) and I might even buy one.
2nd, Triumph is jacked in the head for calling that color khaki anything. Khaki is a tan color between sand and dun. The color of the 09 Scram is Olive drab. That's right, just like military vehicles. C'mon, tell me that bike doesn't look military! On one thing I must agree with you though. Limiting the Scrambler to only those two color choices does seem a mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Even though my engine is blacked out, I tend to agree with SpaceCoastRat. The retro look appears to be gone. Its been replaced with the military courier look. Fine, if that's what you want. I'm glad I have mine, though.

·
29,945 Posts
Actually pokeyjoe, I agree with you - it does have that military courier look, but that does it for me on that bike for some reason. I always liked the green/white colour scheme, but I like this one too.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I actually like the black engine. After 21 years in the USAF, I would tend to steer away from OD green vehicles (desert tan as well). Not horrible, just not terribly appealing to me.
The Scrambler along with the whole Classic line could use more variety in color choices.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Having an '06 red and white Scrambler with the union jack cover and tor's is the coolest bike on the market... Triumph made the first mistake when they switched to an all black engine then they started putting on that ugly and bloated tank with plastic badges..... as if that weren't ugly enough, the geniuses in Hincley decided that matt khaki green and flat black should be the only colors available... i can see their appeal as an option, but retro classics need retro classic two tone paint jobs..... i suspect the end is near for the Scrambler and my original red and white '06 with a brushed aluminum engine will be that much more collectible, not that it matters because this bike is a keeper and, to paraphrase Charleton Heston, you will pry this bike from my cold, dead hands...... just a few thoughts from a guy who is lucky enough to ride year round in the florida sunshine.....
+1... main reason i wnet for a used 06 as opposed to the newer models. i saw the green on at the dealer and the tank almost seems plastic. i had to ask the sales guy. i guess is the matte coating that make sit feel like plastic to the touch.
Honestly I would not trade mine for a newer one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The whole debate over color, two-tone vs. single etc., is an IMHO thing if ever there was one. That being said, don't forget that the TR6C went from being two-color (one scheme only) from '64-'67, and then single color (just one choice) for '68-'72. There were also a whole bunch of styling changes, most notably exhaust configuration. Then as now, cost savings may have been involved but nonetheless, why shouldn't the Scrambler's looks evolve much as it's ancestral inspiration did?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
...why shouldn't the Scrambler's looks evolve much as it's ancestral inspiration did?
Well, IMHO, "retro" doesn't evolve. It is what it is. Its a representation of a period of time. If anything, the Scrambler is evolving back in time to the WWII era. I just hope it ends up with a kick starter at some point. :D

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the green at first. But it's starting to grow on me. Same goes for the black engine. I have the '06 blue with silver/grey engine, which I like, but the green with black engine gives the bike some "bad ass." :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
green/black

In my opinion, if they were going to do solid colors on the Scram, they should have at least a couple of "gloss" colors available (Cardinal red would look bitchin'). And the matte finished ones should come with blacked out wheels, exhaust, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I really like it too and wish they made a Bonnie in that color BUT they should of offered couple of gloss colors for folks as well. They have narrowed an already narrow market for such a cool machine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In my opinion, if they were going to do solid colors on the Scram, they should have at least a couple of "gloss" colors available (Cardinal red would look bitchin')...
Agreed tbcblues, cardinal red would be sharp, as would a medium-dark blue or a forest green gloss. Even though I've seen the matte "khaki" in person and like it, I might opt for one of these colors if it came in a gloss.

It be cool if Scrams were available in three different paint\trim levels like the the Bonnie Black, the mid-level single color, and the T100 two-tone with polished casings, etc. My guess is they don't because they don't sell as well as Bonnies.

·
Registered
758 Posts
to each his own...

You buy what you like - right? I bought my Scrambler towards the end of 2007 and I had a choice of '06 or '07 and the engine color helped me make up my mind. I later found out that the '06 was the only year the bike was assembled in England (thank you triumphrat.net) and I was OK with that too. But to be honest, I don't think one year is superior to the next, or "my bike's better than..." I just am really happy with mine.

If they made red & white illegal, I'd go flat black - but I'd be pissed!

·
Registered
62 Posts
hand guards

hey skidplate, i like the hand guards! Where'd you get them? Looks like they'd be good in cooler weather to break the wind around your hands..

·
Registered
229 Posts
drab green

I've just washed my green/silver scrambler and i decided that i wouldnt have the drab green or black if i had the choice again.

Its not that i dislike it just i preferr a colour over silver with the chrome......

Now a cblacked out hrome option with green or black would be cool.

bcblues - handguards work a treat i ave them on a suzuki TS and they keep the wind chill & rain off, i can wear summer gloves no probs anytime.

Cheers
Clive

1 - 20 of 24 Posts