Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my 500 mile service today on my 09 SE, and I bit the bullet and did a bafflectomy. And from what I've read, share the same pipes as the Thruxton. I loved the sound of my Bonny, but it was too quiet, and not deep enough. This solved both problems quite well. I am not terribly mechanically inclined, and even I did this without a hitch. (I had my dad watching over me to make sure I didn't mess up, though.)

The tools I used were:

-Up to 7/8" step bit.
I assume you could easily use a hole saw, but the step bit worked perfectly. I just went slow, and basically stopped when the thing got stuck. It went all of the way to the end of the bit. The bad part is the price. I think that bit was around 60 bucks retail.

-Magnetized wand
Forgot to take a pic of it, but it was just to remove bits of metal from the pipe afterwards. Worked like a charm.

-Pair of needle nose to remove the baffle and stuffing.

Pics!

Here is the bit I used:

Shot of the tailpipe unaltered:

Shot of the right hand pipe after I drilled it out, and removed the stuffing.

Shot of the left hand pipe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shot of what I pulled out of the pipe, there was only a bit of stuffing, some shavings and the center pipe.

Rear shot after it was done, looks fairly clean to me. Cleaned up the edges of the inside with a file to get the big burrs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And some shots of my girl up on the lift:

And that's it! The sound is a lot deeper! The idle hasn't changed much, but it sounds great when you rev it and pops nicely on deceleration. Solved my one gripe about an otherwise awesome bike. And did it cheap too.

I made a couple of sound clips, but recorded it with my iPhone, so it doesn't sound great, but it gives an idea of the difference. Also, not sure if this will work, but here goes.

Stock pipes:
http://files.me.com/jon.koenig/vq7yi4.mov

Debaffled:
http://files.me.com/jon.koenig/vdgzpz.mov

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good job Mucksavage. I've been waiting for someone to try an SE baffelectomy, I didn't have the cajones to be the first. Your soundclips indicate a pretty dramatic difference. Did you have to beat the crap out of the inner pipe to remove it as I have seen in other threads? Outstanding bit of pioneering wrench work, I'm going to give it a go soon. Thanks.

:welldone:

Russ

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have to beat the crap out of the inner pipe to remove it as I have seen in other threads?

Not at all. It was actually kind of scary it was so easy. I think that had a lot to do with the step bit. It was kind of a no-brainer. And this from a guy who isn't terribly mechanical.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the writeup! I just did this on my 2009 Bonneville (I have the base EFI model, not SE or Thruxton) and it was a piece of cake - 10 minutes to do both sides. The bike sounds great now and I don't have any desire to put on aftermarket mufflers.

I used a 1 and 3/8th hole saw which was probaly a lot harder to use than your step bit. I need to enlarge the whole and clean it up more due to the hole saw jumping around before it started cutting. I used a 12" long 7/8th drill bit to put one hole in the flat plates inside. I guess I could drill a couple more holes to increase the volume, but I like the way it sounds right now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
any more popping on decel than usual? I'm wondering if a remap is necessary with this mod.
I do hear some mild popping on decel, but I don't think it is any different that before the mod except for the fact that you can actually hear it now. I also don't think a remap is necessary if you are just modifying the exhaust. I have my first service next week and will ask the dealership mechanic what he thinks. I will post what I learn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just did the debaffling mod on my stock 09 EFI Bonnie black.. I have to say, though its a level or two louder than stock.. i'm not much of a fan. Maybe its because I just heard Norman Hyde pipes today on a T100 and a friend of mine has the Predators on his Bonnie.

I did the mod thinking that it couldn't hurt too much since I would be saving a lot of money if I liked it and there probably isn't much of a market for these stock pipes since they are so restrictive. I heard a lot of pops when decelerating, more than I think is good..

I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with the Dominator Tourings w/ airbox and AI removal... (plus remap).

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I just did the debaffling mod on my stock 09 EFI Bonnie black.. I have to say, though its a level or two louder than stock.. i'm not much of a fan. Maybe its because I just heard Norman Hyde pipes today on a T100 and a friend of mine has the Predators on his Bonnie.

I did the mod thinking that it couldn't hurt too much since I would be saving a lot of money if I liked it and there probably isn't much of a market for these stock pipes since they are so restrictive. I heard a lot of pops when decelerating, more than I think is good..

I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with the Dominator Tourings w/ airbox and AI removal... (plus remap).
great idea. you'll like the sound and the power increase with that pkg. I installed the 2 into 2 arrow remap with mine and it ran great. Only problem with the ABRK is you'll have to wrap your ecu in rubber and lay it on top of the batt. The box isn't big enough to hold it like the original. I had to use two spacers in the front of my batt box that came with the kit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Last week I began to attempt this mod on my 09' EFI Thruxton using a step bit as well. After much drilling the exhaust hole was marginally larger than before. I also noticed my step bit was pretty worn. Did you find that you had to apply lots of pressure to open the exhaust hole?

Today I tried another approach. I took the exhaust off the bike and removed the packing from the inlet end (the end that connects to the headers). After the packing was out I could see the first baffle plate. I took a 12 inch 3/8" bit and drilled four holes in the baffle plate of each exhaust. I put it back together and went for a ride. Its no more louder than stock. I only noticed a difference on deceleration. There is a more throaty sound with a bit more popping.

On a side note I took it for a spin with only the headers :D It was obnoxiously loud but in a good way. I'd imagine this is somewhat how D&D race pipes sound. I road around town and of course had to make a few passes though a tunnel downtown. Very refreshing considering how quiet it is stock.

I think I'm going to use a small hole saw (small enough to fit inside the stock exhaust hole) and punch a hole in the baffle from the exhaust end. That should make it right, while keeping the stock appearance. I contemplated using a larger hole saw to remove the exhaust end pipe and stuffing, like the OP, however I'm a bit apprehensive about p[possibly messing up the finish.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last week I began to attempt this mod on my 09' EFI Thruxton using a step bit as well. After much drilling the exhaust hole was marginally larger than before. I also noticed my step bit was pretty worn. Did you find that you had to apply lots of pressure to open the exhaust hole?
I too had the same problem with the step bit.. It just wasn't cutting. I switched to a 1 1/8" hole saw and I taped up the guide bit to make it fatter so it wouldn't move around as much. It cut through the exhaust within seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone just drilled holes in the rear baffle plate?

From all the other bafflectomy threads I've seen here the other exhausts (ie.T100) have a perforated rear baffle plate where the peashooter exhausts on the mag and thruxton bonnies have a solid rear plate. Any thoughts?

Oh, and did anyone get a remap for this mod?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone just drilled holes in the rear baffle plate?

From all the other bafflectomy threads I've seen here the other exhausts (ie.T100) have a perforated rear baffle plate where the peashooter exhausts on the mag and thruxton bonnies have a solid rear plate. Any thoughts?

Oh, and did anyone get a remap for this mod?
I brought my bike in for the first service at the dealer after I had done the bafflectomy and they said I didn't need a remap after checking the ECU for any error codes.

I tried just drilling holes in the rear plate first and it gave a little more exhaust note, but not enough to notice while riding with a full face helmet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had everything ripped out of my 09 Bonneville SE mufflers and had the inside pipe redone. They have a much wider opening now. Had to have them re-chromed after all was said and done but these babies are nice and loud now and I definitely needed a remap. Put in the Arrow 2 into 2 map and no more backfiring or popping. The AI system is still in place and the bike growls nicely now. I will post pics and a video clip if I can figure it out give me a few days.

The guy who did it for me did drill holes in the plate to increase airflow. This mod required cutting off the ends of the mufflers near the header to get at the CAT and the junk inside but the pieces were welded back on and the operation is only noticeable after a very close inspection. The re-chromers missed a patch in the polishing phase but they are going to sort that out for me next week Very happy with the results.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I went to Lowe's today and bought a 1 1/8 inch hole saw.

My brother in laws Harley is on the lift as we just finished changing the gaskets so I will get it in and see if I can pick up a decent cheap camera for pics.

I have an idea of what I want to do,...seems different from previous posts, so will see what happens.

Tough luck for you fullspeed. Tomorrow is a better day

1 - 20 of 42 Posts