Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I know there has been considerable discussion about bags -racks and mounts . Here are some pics of my 09 SE with givi Bag mounts from Norman , Rentec rear rack , and givi windshield . I also installed retro tail and directionals instead of shortening the rear directionals or mounting them on the pig sticker stalks (Which I cut Off) . I had to make some 1/2" spacers to place betweem the givi mount and the Rentec rack mount (They both mount to the same spot . Givi 21 bags shown .I also have Givi 41 bags that fit nicely Although wide . I had these from my K-75 . I also just ordered a givi 250 adapter plate for the rentec rack so I can use one of teh 41ltr bags as a top case . Now I can carry my tools with me .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Man, that is a nice looking set up indeed! You could run away from home and bring almost all your stuff with you with that rig. Good job!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
This is great news- no trouble mounting the racks on the 09 SE, I presume? I thought there might be an issue with different geometry due to shorter shocks (from what I understand).

I've got some E360s but I'll probably end up getting the same 21s that you have for day to day... they look pretty nice on the Bonnie.

I'll cut off those ridiculous light extensions as well, and will probably end up getting these lights to deal with the clearance 9and add running lights at the same time):

http://newbonneville.com/html/running_light_kit.html

Thanks for the post, very helpful!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Hello all, I know there has been considerable discussion about bags -racks and mounts . Here are some pics of my 09 SE with givi Bag mounts from Norman , Rentec rear rack , and givi windshield
Nice! Could you provide (a) a pix of the mounts with bags removed, and (b) who is Norman?, and (c) what's Norman's suggested price for the mounts?

I had a set of E21 bags on my W650, using five Star mounts, and cobbled up some mounts for a trip on my T100 out West in 2006, using the Triumph pieces that kept their soft bags from hitting the rear wheel. Here's a pix from May, 2006. The little E21 bags, though small on the outside, are all room .... no weird inside wall (like many of the Beemer bags).

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/... Out West/?action=view&current=IMG_6541-1.jpg

We long-time Beemer riders like our hard bags for traveling. I've also installed heated grips and the 12v outlet. It's hard to break old habits!

Bob

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
(b) who is Norman?, and (c) what's Norman's suggested price for the mounts?
Norman Hyde is a parts and accessories dealer in the UK- the Givi racks are listed on this page:

http://normanhyde.co.uk/search.php?start=11&stop=21&tag=23&parent=12

They are listed as "PANNIER FRAME PAIR" and the price is £124.00, which converts to $197.32 as of 5/24/09. Deliver is another £53.00, adding $85 to get them to North America.

If you already have the E21s you save the $170 plus shipping that Twisted Throttle wants for the bags... even so, a grand total of $450 ish for real Givi bags seems like a much better deal than the near $700 Triumph wants for the City bags. The City bags certainly look cool, but I've gotten used to the sturdy construction and locking convenience of the Givi bags on my (ex) VFR.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good looking setup , thanks for answering my PM btw :)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Thanks. Didn't draw the connection between 'norman' and 'norman hyde'.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
E360s

I just put a deposit down on an 09 Bonneville SE! I'm set to pick it up later this week.
I was wondering if my E360s and E52 top case will mount up with this system? I still have them left over from my old ZRX1100. I'm worried the top case might be too big, but it would be nice to be able to use them all.
If it does work I may still buy a pair of E21s for everyday use.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I just put a deposit down on an 09 Bonneville SE! I'm set to pick it up later this week.
I was wondering if my E360s and E52 top case will mount up with this system? I still have them left over from my old ZRX1100. I'm worried the top case might be too big, but it would be nice to be able to use them all.
If it does work I may still buy a pair of E21s for everyday use.
Thanks
I don't have the racks yet, so I couldn't tell you- they have been backordered for a while. I received a note on Monday that the racks had shipped via "International Post," so I have no idea when they'll arrive.

When they do show up, I'll mount my E360s and post some photos so you can decide for yourself how they look/work. I sold my E52, and I'm not mounting a top rack anyhow, but I would imagine it would look pretty huge on the Bonnie.

I'm assuming the E360s will be outsized, but useful for hauling large loads. For day to day, I bought a set of E21s that should arrive today or tomorrow- when I get the racks I'll post an installation photo set for review and comparison.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The E21s look pretty good on the Bonnie. I used them on my KLR for a number of years and found them to be tough, waterproof, and acceptably spacious. The price is right, too.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Just got done with the install...

..and boy are my arms tired. :)

I installed the New Bonneville black bullet running lights and the Norman Hyde Givi Racks, along with two new E21 Givi bags.

The lights went (mostly) right on, but the Givi racks were a little harder than expected due to some clearance issues. I'm not sure if that was to be expected, or if having a Bonneville SE made the difference. To be fair, I also have a sub-optimal toolkit- with a wider variety of hex wrenches I would have been better off.

In any case, the bags are on, they look great, the rack is solid and the rear running lights look and work fantastically (I saved the front kit for another day as it's a little more involved). I will post a full set of pictures tomorrow evening, for now I'm beat and have to hit the sack (tired but satisfied with my new luggage!).

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
On Saturday, I also received my pannier rack from Norman Hyde for my Scrambler. This was its second trip over the pond since the USPS shipped it back to England rather than deliver it to me! Norman Hyde shipped it back. I purchased a pair of the racks in anticipation of a low exhaust some day. My goal is to use the rack to mount a Craven bag so I will have to adapt something to hold the bag to the rack.

The rack bolted on (the one side) with little issues. I have not tackled the turn signals yet, so I still have the pig sticker hanging out the back. I'm debating if I want to spend the $200 at New Bonneville for the tail light/turn signal combination or cobble up something on my own.

How much trouble is mounting a Rentec rack with the NH pannier frames? I have the Ventura rack now, but there appear to be some serious interference issues with mounting both. I wonder if the Rentec is any better (I understand that some "hammer-induced" modifications are required on the Scrambler anyway).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stalk stubs?

I am considering going this route as well, with the Norman mounts and the Givi E21s. I can't quite tell from the photos what skut48 did with the stubs left from cutting of the extended stalks. What solutions have those of you who've tried this come up with?
I'm not quite set on getting these yet though. I'd love to be able to use mounts that didn't need to be modified, not to mention ones that didn't need to be shipped internationally. But I like the E21s for their size; they should be plenty big for commuting and day trips and they don't overwhelm the look of the bike. Also I like that they are top-opening. (Maybe someone can explain, but I don't really get the idea behind the cases that open from the side) I'm also open to suggestions of other options, either for mounting E21s or for similar cases from someone else.

thanks
Eric

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Hey Eric-

I couldn't be happier with my Givi E21's and Norman Hyde racks.

I have also ridden with E360s for longer trips, but for daily use, I leave on the E21s.

As for what I did with the stubs- the answer is nothing. They are little hacked off circles on the back of the racks. I don't even notice them. I thought about capping them or putting little reflectors on them but i haven't bothered yet.

Here's some pics of my setup:

Here you can see the little stubs:

Here they are with E360s:

And here's the install process- note that without the extender stalks, you have to do something about the rear turn signals. I chose New Bonneville bullet signals, and I love 'em.

]

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Pics continued:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, now I think I must have seen that photo before and not been looking closely enough. I know I'd seen the part about replacing the turn signals. I'm looking at doing the Lucas ones. I totaled up this option including the signals and the Rentec rack, and its still about $30 less than my second choice of the Hepco Rails/rack & Junior 30s that NewBonneville sells.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Givi + Triumph sissy bar?

I have a question for those who have this Givi/Norman Hyde setup. Can the bags be mounted in conjunction with the Triumph brand sissy bar? I like how far back these bags mount to allow passenger access to the pegs, but my girl won't ride without a backrest, which I already have.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the frame set from Norman Hyde, and they just came in today. I'm impressed how quick and easy it was to order direct from them. That could be dangerous. Although I used a MasterCard and they hit me with a foreign transaction fee of a bout $8. That's something to remember to account for. Unfortunately I also ordered the "sport" lighting kit from NewBonneville, and it's back ordered. They said they would have them in 2-3 weeks. So the backpack and cargo net will have to do 'till then.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello all, I know there has been considerable discussion about bags -racks and mounts . Here are some pics of my 09 SE with givi Bag mounts from Norman , Rentec rear rack , and givi windshield .
Great looking setup. Which Givi windshield do you have? Any fitment issues?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Maybe someone can explain, but I don't really get the idea behind the cases that open from the side
Different class of user, my friend. If you tour and stay in hotels, then the clamshell-type open flat on the hotel bed to let you put your DJ and the wife's evening gown in without getting them creased. That's fine if you use them for carrying stuff from place to place and don't need access while on the road.

If you use them for something like camping, then they are a liability, unless you have a separate bag-type liner. If you need to be in and out of them while on the road, the top-opening style is much more useful. I recently did a short tour in Europe, camping, and the side-opening cases I had were a constant pain in the rear. For any purposes, from digging out a bottle of drink to setting up the tent, the only way to get at your stuff was to dismount that cases and open them up on the ground.

My next purchase will be a set of Givi 21s (that's the only top-opening type I can find in the UK).

1 - 20 of 76 Posts