Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up riding in the 70's & had lots of friends that rode Triumphs. I got my first in 1995 when I returned to riding with a Thunderbird. Traded that for a 1996 Trident & added D&D slips, traded that & went thru a bunch of bikes... cbr 600, Shadow Aero, BMW r1100, BMW RT 1150, 2000 Indian Chief, 2004 Harley Electra Glide. Sold the Harley last Fall. Was planning on buying an 09 H-D but I really think Harley has gone as far as they can with an air cooled motor... the 04Electra Glide rear cylinder & exhaust could really get hot...toasted my wife's right calf a bunch of times. They say the 08's & 09's are worse! That said, I really like all bikes & would love to have an airplane hangar full of them.. I like classic bikes that perform better than stock. All my bikes had minor performance mods (pipes + AF)
On to my topic....
I'm seriously looking at the 09 Bonneville SE. I like the looks a lot & I like the price compared to an 09 Road King a lot too! I know with my Harley, I had to get a fuel mgmt box to enrichen the EFI to compensate for the pipes & air filter I added. I would definitely add pipes & a freer breathing AF to the Bonneville. Does Triumph sell a fuel mgmt box or so you guys use a power commander or what? How is the Bonneville for 2 up riding? My wife loves to ride & all my friends ride with their wives or girlfriends (& they all ride H-D's). My wife & me are pretty small people so there wouldn't be a lot of weight.... How's the low end torque on the Bonneville when pulling away from a light or going up steep hills, mountain roads, etc?
I would also like to add a removable windshield & maybe side bags for touring. I like tall windshields that you look thru when riding. I know all of the "you should look right over the top" advice but I prefer looking thru.
I tend to modify my bikes lightly to do 2 things pretty good
1. perform moderately well when I'm riding solo (I'm not a superbiker) &
2. be a comfotable ride for 2-up touring

any comments or suggestions are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have a PC on my 2009 Bonneville and it makes plenty of power for two-up riding. Today we are in San Simeon and have been riding two-up on PCH from Orange County.

...and I do have an airplane hangar full of Triumphs :>))

Dick

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Don't fool your ecu, use a Tuneboy and do it properly or get your pipes and airbox removal and get the dealer to load the TOR map for your bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts