Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,490 Posts
I owned a 650 V Strom for about a year. Went back to riding Bonnevilles. Nothing wrong with the V Strom just the Bonneville is so much more fun to ride.
The air cooled Bonneville will not be as smooth on the freeway at 75 MPH. But Strom means smooth or tranquil in German. LOL

Heh, I picked up a VStrom, mostly because my Bonnie has a lot of miles on it and the strom was a good deal. The Strom is my touring bike now, just for the comfort. But it sure does lack the funability of the Bonnie. Too efficient, not enough cool-factor or joy in it. Glad I have both though.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Reactions: FreedomLiftOff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I put a lot of fun miles on my VStrom. Long trips were no problem at all. I also used it for its intended purpose: as an adventure bike. It has many "battle scars" from my mountain offroad adventures. I really miss being able to do that.

I may try lowering links on it too see if I can swing my leg over it without excruciating pain.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Anything specific I should be concerned about or look at other than the usual stuff for any 12 year-old bike?

Only 9500 miles, amazing cosmetic condition, brand new tires, $3600... from a long-time Triumph/BMW dealer with a fantastic reputation.

I test-ride it Tuesday and may purchase then if it all checks out.

I've lusted after these things for a long long time and I need a bike that is easier to mount/dismount and can get flat-footed on with my 30" inseam. I sat on this bike and it absolutely checks those boxes. Mostly will be used as a commuter with the occasional foothills/mountain rides sprinkled in.

Thanks.
Well I don't know where you live, but if its in Eastern or Central Pa, Hermy's , has a 09 Se for $4299 with a bunch of good things on it. Check it out at www.Hermys.com, and they are super to deal with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks so far!

yeah I’ve been riding for a while but worsening hips are making getting on and off the VStrom more and more of a chore… sometimes impossible even.
I recently bought an 07 T100 (I wanted an 07 as it is last of the carbs model) due to similar joint problems. With a 31" to 32" in seam the bike fits me well. Very easy to get on and off and both feet flat with knees bent. Pushing it around it feels like a moped in comparison with my other bike. Previous owner changed the bars for lower/wider. I put the orginal T100 bars back on and it fits me a treat. A recommended change by me anyway from a Vstrom Suzuki.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well I don't know where you live, but if its in Eastern or Central Pa, Hermy's , has a 09 Se for $4299 with a bunch of good things on it. Check it out at www.Hermys.com, and they are super to deal with.
I also moved my parts ordering to Hermys and just was plum impressed w/ great Customer Service. It felt especially nice , during Covid, to have someone talk calm, helpful and get me back on the road really quick. I can say that BikeBandit was not winning any points in that area.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts