Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the site. I am looking at buying an 09 Daytona. My buddy wrecked it after only 1100 miles. The thing is, we can get the thing to start. The cluster got banged up but still lights up. Is there any reason the bike may not start without the cluster being plugged in? With the key on and the clutch pulled in, ya hit the start switch and the lights on the cluster will dim and thats it. I have not found any wiring tore up except for were the cluster got ripped off the bike. More or less the plug on the back is there, just banged up. I assume the CDI box is on the right side fairing? The harness to that is ok. Im at a loss here, any help would be great. Thanks! I have checked the fuse box and all is ok.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
The gauge cluster must be plugged in and operational for the bike to start. Check the battery. The 675 has a tiny battery and if it is not under a full charge, the gauges will light up, the headlight will come on, the fuel pump will cycle and the tach will sweep, but the bike won't engage the starter.

I'd check there first. If the battery is completely charged, then it it sounds like it could be a problem with the cluster wiring.

Good luck sorting it...

TripleThreat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gauge cluster must be plugged in and operational for the bike to start. Check the battery. The 675 has a tiny battery and if it is not under a full charge, the gauges will light up, the headlight will come on, the fuel pump will cycle and the tach will sweep, but the bike won't engage the starter.

I'd check there first. If the battery is completely charged, then it it sounds like it could be a problem with the cluster wiring.

Good luck sorting it...

TripleThreat
Ok thanks, I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is there any way to go around the gauge it self? I know the system is a closed loop system...so what if I want to just make the bike for the track only? I talked to a tech in the area...he said no way. Is he telling the truth or do ya think thats his way of getting my cash?:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I have two 675's one track and one street. The gauge cluster has to be connected on each for them to run, even with the Triumph race harness installed on the track bike. The gauge cluster is a required part unless you have a custom gauge cluster that is made to work with the 675 ECM. The only people developing that technology are the guys at T3 Racing right now, but they haven't released it to the public yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a bummer. Looks like I'll have to fork out the cash or get one used. Thanks for the info. Im sure i'll be back soon, long road ahead!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts