Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a Bonneville T100 soon and wondering which is cheaper to maintain? the o8 carbs v. the 09 EFI?

i could save some money initially with the 08, but if the 09's are more reliable..might be worth it to go down that path...thoughts?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I would go for the fuel injection.I can't tell you how many times I've taken a set of carbs off an old bike to clean them....with FI, years from now, push the button, start it up - you are just good to go.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had the same choice. Went with the 08. there is more stuff for carb bikes if your looking at modding. Modding carb bikes is cheaper as well. If you don't plan on messing around with it, then go with EFI. I just didn't feel like going to the dealer for a reflash every time I add or change something. There is also a great deal of knowledge out there on the carb bikes. The EFI bikes are coming along, but it's still a pioneering thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only thing stuff i'd be modding would probably be cosmetic. bars, seat, tach..and so on. however, im also planning on learning to maintain the bike myself with the minor stuff like oil changes, tune-ups, changing chains and sprockets and stuff. would this be an issue? also - what exactly does "reflash"ing mean. please excuse the newbness of that question :confused:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
08/ 09

EFI too new now! I wiold stay w/ carbs tioll it proves itself!! As said- more goodies for carbs rite now as well! JMPO

·
Registered
58 Posts
the only thing stuff i'd be modding would probably be cosmetic. bars, seat, tach..and so on. however, im also planning on learning to maintain the bike myself with the minor stuff like oil changes, tune-ups, changing chains and sprockets and stuff. would this be an issue? also - what exactly does "reflash"ing mean. please excuse the newbness of that question :confused:

reflash/remap-if u ever planned on modifying an engine altering component-you would have the option to "remap" the bikes computer for "optimum performance". this is optional but since it basically balances out your engines output so you dont have popping etc, it is recommended. for instance when i installed my Sleepers, the rev/throttle was fine but it would pop when decelerating once every 8 or 9 decels. until i remapped it at the shop. remapping costs 50 dollars and if your shop is cool, they do it for free.

but to be honest, since u wouldnt be doing anything crazy like that anyway, you would be better off getting efi with that foresight in mind. the mechanics i know say they PREFER carbs cuz its like "classic" and is just what they know/grew up on, but over all efficiency-including the bikes they work on at the shop(s) would put efi a leg ahead of the rest that have carbs. thats their words, not mine. REASON: carbed bikes are in much more often than efi bikes. regardless of people knowing how to tool on them or not, they are simply more frequently on the lift than efi motorsizzles for one reason or another.

so i guess, its between saying u have a carb'd bike for others approval, or overall efficiency. thats the question i posed to myself anyway before i bought. either way man, they both go frontwards and backwards. go with what works for your pocket if thats what is most important to you in this decision. nothing wrong with that.

rock on.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
EFI bikes have quicker pickup, slightly more mid range and much better fuel economy (about 10%) but a smaller tank due need to fit fuel pump under tank.
Have not ridden one yet but the new SE version is getting excellent feedback due to better dynamics ie quicker turning, roadholding etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Having ridden both, the efi is better in every way (like for like state of tune) other than initial throttle opening and on some bikes this may be snatchy although it is curable.

I like carbs as much as the next man and have had many carbed bikes - but for the use you describe I would go with efi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts